The good the bad... The ugly-Gunky Coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ksweizen

Jan 5, 2013
Ca
So let's try and make a complete thread about this terrible problem we all face...

Awesome tasting juice yet, you can't get half a tank through without rebuilding or very dark liquid. Sometimes I wonder if these juice companies are playing a joke on us. Why even make a juice if a majority can't use it well?

1.So let's list the BAD e.g. The worst juices that clog super fast

2.list awesome juices that are clean and easy on attys.

3. Some alternatives or ways to combat the Gunky coil problem.

1.For me: Anything from JC are coil killers, but they have great flavor. Their silverthorn is so realistic tabacco it's amazing, yet I can't get more then .5ml through a pro tank before the night terrors kick in :D

2. Yet to have any real long lasting coils from juice. Avg protank coil life is 2 days or less.

3. About to get rid of tanks and go rda.

MiamiMom63

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
South Florida
I mostly DIY but here's my take on the subject...

1. It seems juices that have alot of caramel clog up coils fast for me.

2. If the juice is a light and fairly clear color, chances are it will be easy on your coils. If they are dark, they tend to gunk up faster.

3. I love my RDA's with cotton microcoils because then it doesn't matter if it gunks up my coil. I can pull the cotton out and do a dry burn and get all the gunk off. My coil looks like new again and I slip another piece of cotton in. :)

Foodacris

ECF Veteran
May 11, 2013
Evansville, Indiana
Thanks for the quick reply,
I'm thinking that is the way I want to go as well, cotton.

I've got an evic and am slightly worried I don't have the power it takes to push a micro coil. Tempted to get a dna 20, I just really don't find most mods aesthetically pleasing.

Really like the evic style, just not enough power.

You absolutely have enough power for a microcoil. Of course this varies by what exactly you build, but I even used to use an Igo-L with a microcoil on my ego batteries and it was fantastic. Just keep your resistance around 1.5-2 ohms and you should be fine. One thing to remember is that even though lower gauge wire will have less resistance it still takes a little bit more to heat up because of the increase in physical material.

Ksweizen

Jan 5, 2013
Ca
Oh awsome! I'm looking at the igo w from v-apes. They are so nice as to drill out the holes for free!

I figure it's a good start if I like it I'll invest in a really good one. Ps rip trippers makes me envious, which I why I thought I would have the power for them since he's using the dna 20 and get clouds.

I really like thicker vapor and flavor if those arnt there it doesn't trick my brain enough to satisfy.

zero7starz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 10, 2009
    I think my most coil gunking juice is Murdocks Maha Ras. I use SS mesh for a wick, and the way I notice this is the more gunk on my coil the higher my resistance climbs.

When I go to change juice (after a tank of Maha Ras) it's just covered in gunk :( Most of my other juices are very clear and light, so they don't gunk up much.

That exception of this Peach Black Tea I ordered from Ahlusion. It's (I think) a 100% VG blend and it's super thick. It seems to give quite a bit of gunk for being a completely clear juice. Not even a hint of color.

I can usually clean quite a bit of gunk off my wick/coil. Again, SS mesh wick. So after rinsing the tank out I will do some dry burns and coil adjustments. Once it's all burning nice I'll take a paper towel and dab around the coil and it takes a lot of gunk off. Couple more dry burns after that and it's good to go.

I really like doing a juice burn on my SS wick if it gets too gunked up. Burns all that carbon away and it's like brand new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BillyWJ

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    usa
    More on topic though:

You've never seen a gunked up coil until you've seen a Kanger head that's gone through a few weeks worth of Halo's Belgian Coco. It's almost painful to see.

THIS.

Chocolates are just gunky, I think it's the particulate matter in the juice, same for coffee and tobaccos made from real tobacco leaf. You could probably use micro filters to clean chocolate and coffee up, but it's probably more cost and effort than its worth.

The gunkiest I've used is Tasty Vapors Boston Cream Pie. The coils on my Kanger were literally solid black after a day or two of use.

BillyWJ

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    usa
    I've heard some people say their pt heads lasting them weeks, some a month.

Maybe they don't care about fresh vapes or consistant vapes. But I like it to be the same as the first vape. Idk who these people are but I don't get any heads to last long. I am a tabacco vaper though

I've got a rebuilt head that's going on two weeks now, with Kringle's Curse. It's doing great! The vapor just last night started dropping off a bit, so I may rebuild soon.

I've found cotton wicks will make PT heads last a LOT longer, even with gunky juices. Silica just isn't as efficient at wicking as cotton is, silica gunks up easily. Cotton is so much more porous.

KjAthena

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 10, 2013
    Tampa Bay
    I've heard some people say their pt heads lasting them weeks, some a month.

Maybe they don't care about fresh vapes or consistant vapes. But I like it to be the same as the first vape. Idk who these people are but I don't get any heads to last long. I am a tabacco vaper though

I have protank heads 4 months old with no rebuild. I rinse , overnight soak in vodka, dry, dry burn and replace silica with cotton daily. Always a great taste and tons of vape. Except for my gunky vapes (15 foot falls AIV and Halo's shamrock) I do not need to change coils during a PT mini.....I do change heads every night as maintanance

Ksweizen

Jan 5, 2013
    Ca
    I have protank heads 4 months old with no rebuild. I rinse , overnight soak in vodka, dry, dry burn and replace silica with cotton daily. Always a great taste and tons of vape. Except for my gunky vapes (15 foot falls AIV and Halo's shamrock) I do not need to change coils during a PT mini.....I do change heads every night as maintanance

That is crazy! Don't the coils degrade? How is that possible

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread