The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

The good the bad... The ugly-Gunky Coils

Discussion in 'General E-Liquid Discussion' started by Ksweizen, Jan 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Ksweizen

Ksweizen Full Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Ca
    So let's try and make a complete thread about this terrible problem we all face...

Awesome tasting juice yet, you can't get half a tank through without rebuilding or very dark liquid. Sometimes I wonder if these juice companies are playing a joke on us. Why even make a juice if a majority can't use it well?

1.So let's list the BAD e.g. The worst juices that clog super fast

2.list awesome juices that are clean and easy on attys.

3. Some alternatives or ways to combat the Gunky coil problem.

1.For me: Anything from JC are coil killers, but they have great flavor. Their silverthorn is so realistic tabacco it's amazing, yet I can't get more then .5ml through a pro tank before the night terrors kick in :D

2. Yet to have any real long lasting coils from juice. Avg protank coil life is 2 days or less.

3. About to get rid of tanks and go rda.

2. MiamiMom63

MiamiMom63 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2012
    South Florida
    I mostly DIY but here's my take on the subject...

1. It seems juices that have alot of caramel clog up coils fast for me.

2. If the juice is a light and fairly clear color, chances are it will be easy on your coils. If they are dark, they tend to gunk up faster.

3. I love my RDA's with cotton microcoils because then it doesn't matter if it gunks up my coil. I can pull the cotton out and do a dry burn and get all the gunk off. My coil looks like new again and I slip another piece of cotton in. :)

3. Ksweizen

Ksweizen Full Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Ca
    Thanks for the quick reply,
    I'm thinking that is the way I want to go as well, cotton.

I've got an evic and am slightly worried I don't have the power it takes to push a micro coil. Tempted to get a dna 20, I just really don't find most mods aesthetically pleasing.

Really like the evic style, just not enough power.

4. Spazmelda

Spazmelda Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 18, 2011
    Ohio
    1. Doc Baker's Blueberry Bluffin. Tasty tasty, but seriously crusts a coil.

5. MiamiMom63

Feb 17, 2012
    South Florida
    All my cotton wicks and coils come out to about 1.8-2 ohms single coil. They should do fine with an evic. You don't have to go sub-ohm to get great flavor and vapor.

6. Foodacris

Foodacris Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 11, 2013
    Evansville, Indiana
    You absolutely have enough power for a microcoil. Of course this varies by what exactly you build, but I even used to use an Igo-L with a microcoil on my ego batteries and it was fantastic. Just keep your resistance around 1.5-2 ohms and you should be fine. One thing to remember is that even though lower gauge wire will have less resistance it still takes a little bit more to heat up because of the increase in physical material.

7. MiamiMom63

Feb 17, 2012
    South Florida
    I use .5 mm ribbon wire at 9 wraps on a tiny nail. Comes out to 1.8-2 ohms every single time and works great :)

8. Foodacris

Foodacris Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 11, 2013
    Evansville, Indiana
    More on topic though:

You've never seen a gunked up coil until you've seen a Kanger head that's gone through a few weeks worth of Halo's Belgian Coco. It's almost painful to see.

9. Ksweizen

Ksweizen Full Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Ca
    Oh awsome! I'm looking at the igo w from v-apes. They are so nice as to drill out the holes for free!

I figure it's a good start if I like it I'll invest in a really good one. Ps rip trippers makes me envious, which I why I thought I would have the power for them since he's using the dna 20 and get clouds.

I really like thicker vapor and flavor if those arnt there it doesn't trick my brain enough to satisfy.

10. KjAthena

KjAthena Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 10, 2013
    Tampa Bay
    Any N.E.T juice is a coil killer IMHO...I will swap out coils 1/2 way tru a PT mini and follow the rinse, rinse, vodka soak, dry burn replace flavor wick with cotton.

11. zero7starz

zero7starz Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 10, 2009
    I think my most coil gunking juice is Murdocks Maha Ras. I use SS mesh for a wick, and the way I notice this is the more gunk on my coil the higher my resistance climbs.

When I go to change juice (after a tank of Maha Ras) it's just covered in gunk :( Most of my other juices are very clear and light, so they don't gunk up much.

That exception of this Peach Black Tea I ordered from Ahlusion. It's (I think) a 100% VG blend and it's super thick. It seems to give quite a bit of gunk for being a completely clear juice. Not even a hint of color.

I can usually clean quite a bit of gunk off my wick/coil. Again, SS mesh wick. So after rinsing the tank out I will do some dry burns and coil adjustments. Once it's all burning nice I'll take a paper towel and dab around the coil and it takes a lot of gunk off. Couple more dry burns after that and it's good to go.

I really like doing a juice burn on my SS wick if it gets too gunked up. Burns all that carbon away and it's like brand new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Mapultz

Mapultz Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 6, 2013
    NC
    I'm not sure if it's my EVOD clearo, or the juice, but I've been having a really hard time with Highbrow's blueberry. It's 70/30 PG/VG, so not very thick. It's not particularly dark. But I've changed the head like 4 times, and before the tank is done, it's starting to gurgle and leak :(

13. LDS714

LDS714 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    Nashville, TN, USA
    Nashville Vapor's Cafe Con Leche. I've killed coils in Protanks, cartos, Vivi Novas and anything else I've vaped it in. I've gotten to the point where I just use small cartos, they give out right before they go dry. But it's oh, so worth it!

14. Ksweizen

Ksweizen Full Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Ca
    I've heard some people say their pt heads lasting them weeks, some a month.

Maybe they don't care about fresh vapes or consistant vapes. But I like it to be the same as the first vape. Idk who these people are but I don't get any heads to last long. I am a tabacco vaper though

15. lifted74

lifted74 Full Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    So far the worst gunking juice for me has been Boba's Bounty.

16. BillyWJ

BillyWJ Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 22, 2013
    usa
    THIS.

Chocolates are just gunky, I think it's the particulate matter in the juice, same for coffee and tobaccos made from real tobacco leaf. You could probably use micro filters to clean chocolate and coffee up, but it's probably more cost and effort than its worth.

The gunkiest I've used is Tasty Vapors Boston Cream Pie. The coils on my Kanger were literally solid black after a day or two of use.

17. BillyWJ

BillyWJ Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 22, 2013
    usa
    I've got a rebuilt head that's going on two weeks now, with Kringle's Curse. It's doing great! The vapor just last night started dropping off a bit, so I may rebuild soon.

I've found cotton wicks will make PT heads last a LOT longer, even with gunky juices. Silica just isn't as efficient at wicking as cotton is, silica gunks up easily. Cotton is so much more porous.

18. KjAthena

KjAthena Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 10, 2013
    Tampa Bay
    I have protank heads 4 months old with no rebuild. I rinse , overnight soak in vodka, dry, dry burn and replace silica with cotton daily. Always a great taste and tons of vape. Except for my gunky vapes (15 foot falls AIV and Halo's shamrock) I do not need to change coils during a PT mini.....I do change heads every night as maintanance

19. Ksweizen

Ksweizen Full Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Ca
    That is crazy! Don't the coils degrade? How is that possible

20. Ksweizen

Ksweizen Full Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Ca
    What does everyone think about have ejuice companies give information about this.

Like recommended hard ware to use the juice and how Gunky the stuff is.

People shouldn't have to waste their hardware, not everyone rebuilds and the ones that don't, it can deter them from vaping.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.