Status
Not open for further replies.

metamorpheus

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2013
AZ
You guessed it..A coil inside a coil.

63jb.jpg

That's a .5 ohm 4 wrap(mini screw driver threads from the one that came with the Russian) of 24 Gauge Kanthal with a 1.2 ohm 30 Ga 12 wrap(large paper clip) nano coil inside of it. The overall resistance should be around .35.

d0xv.jpg

There she glows!

fift.jpg

I took some CVS rolled cotton and stretched/rolled 6 cotton wick pieces and shoved them through the space between the outer and inner coil. So now it is basically a nano dragon squeezed inside a 24 Ga macro coil. Looks like a flower which is pretty cool too.

4h13.jpg

Wet and ready(what she said)

z5lp.jpg

Another view

n2pg.jpg

Crappy top off picture, would really need to make a video to show its true vapor production characteristic.

This is my favorite drip set up to date and I rebuild my Igo-W a stupid amount of times. Some nights I'll build 4 in a row just to experiment. This system seems to maximize the nano dragon by compressing the cotton against the nano coil to squeeze the juice into it. One of the pitfalls of the pretzel method IMO was that the fluffy cotton would retain a lot of the e liquid and the coil would start going dry prematurely leading me to feel like I wasted juice. More cotton surface is also being utilized by being heated between two coils. Another thing I really like about this is the vape isn't hot like it was when I built quad 1.2 nanos(cotton wick through coil) at .4 ohms. Taste is very good, no burnt cotton or cooked juice flavor.

metamorpheus

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2013
AZ
I'll assume that wasn't sarcasm and take it from there...

This is basically a more juice efficient take on iteo's nano dragon. I just built this thing today so we'll see over the long term, but so far the flavor is improved over the standard vertical nano dragons I have built. This is most likely because of the thick wire back bone. The gradual heat up of it improves the flavor over the flash burn of a smaller wire. There is a large surface area being heated up with this setup so the vapor production is very good as well. The combo of the small and large wire gives a now and later effect for the vapor production. A couple drags in the wire mass starts to really heat up and retains the heat very well. This is the first time I've had a good buzz in a few days. I stepped down to 6mg two weeks ago and have just been doings tanks in my Russian. If you have the means give it a try.

metamorpheus

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2013
AZ
Coil inside a coil.
Like this, but tiny (lol).
Extra funny - this pic is of a fog machine!!!

Thats hilarious. This started as a 330 AM project after work. I had bought some 24 Ga kanthal at the local vape shop to experiment with and couldn't get a decent resistance or a good vape from it in the applications I was trying it in. Figured I'd wrap wide and stick a fat piece of cotton through it. It was good, but disappointing at the same time. I tried to go to bed with the mediocre build on my mind and my mind just reeled and wouldn't shut up because I was determined to make it work good. That thought popped in my head and it was on my mind all day so I had to try it. Sometimes those restless 4AM thoughts are the best. Eventually I want to try this build on my Russian, with higher ohms of course.

Last edited:

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
This is my favorite drip set up to date and I rebuild my Igo-W a stupid amount of times. Some nights I'll build 4 in a row just to experiment. This system seems to maximize the nano dragon by compressing the cotton against the nano coil to squeeze the juice into it. One of the pitfalls of the pretzel method IMO was that the fluffy cotton would retain a lot of the e liquid and the coil would start going dry prematurely leading me to feel like I wasted juice. More cotton surface is also being utilized by being heated between two coils. Another thing I really like about this is the vape isn't hot like it was when I built quad 1.2 nanos(cotton wick through coil) at .4 ohms. Taste is very good, no burnt cotton or cooked juice flavor.

Interesting idea there, to be sure. It appears to me that there is no way to ever fully "keep up" with the interstitial cotton layer (between coils) since it is being heated on both sides. I guess you have enough mass around it to keep it going...

Cool concept.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Do you get problems with shorts, or since it is in the same series circuit, does that not pose problems?
I think... but I can't see it either, so just a guess, that they are parallel. Although, the .5Ω + 1.2Ω = .35Ω math is at best, as unclear as the (more useful) photos.
IMO... the "hey, look what I 'invented'." coil competition (along with the names for coils) is getting silly... as are the descriptions of the ever so fine variations in flavor. Or, perhaps I'm just a simple neanderthal with equally simple tastes. ;-)

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
I think... but I can't see it either, so just a guess, that they are parallel. Although, the .5Ω + 1.2Ω = .35Ω math is at best, as unclear as the (more useful) photos.
IMO... the "hey, look what I 'invented'." coil competition (along with the names for coils) is getting silly... as are the descriptions of the ever so fine variations in flavor. Or, perhaps I'm just a simple neanderthal with equally simple tastes. ;-)

I didn't even read anything. I just looked at pictures, but I don't see how it would be in parallel.. The math is correct, but the coils share a common contact..or appear to..maybe I'm just being stupid.:)

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
When some of us were playing with mismatched coils and gauges, a while back; we were finding that a dual coil setup of 2 different resistances metered as half of the lower ohm coil. Weird; but that's what played out. So, if you had a .6Ω and a .9Ω, together they metered out at .3Ω. We didn't do some major study on it. It might have been some kinda fluke (although I've seen it a few times now). My recent Mundy/René41 dual coil also metered out to 1/2 of the lower resistance coil.

ADDIT: just realized this thread is isolated from where I posted. Here's the Mundy/René of which I ▲ "thus spake".

Last edited:

metamorpheus

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2013
AZ
Well the vamo reads it at .3, I'll have to read it on the ohm reader at the vape shop to get a little more accuracy. Not really worried if it's .25 as I'm using the sony 30A batteries.

@ suspectk
That's just one example and them touching doesn't matter. I've been doing builds with common contacts for a while because it's easier to align the air holes and that most definitely doesn't make them in series.

I've been using this thing as a musket since wicking it again(cleared the pathway beneath the nano coil more and it's pluming out even more vapor now). When I want a good buzz or just a giant cloud I pull it out. 3-4 fat drags and it's on the dry side of things with 4 drops or so. If there was a 2900 mAh 30A battery I would puff this thing much more.

metamorpheus

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2013
AZ
I did something where I twisted 26 and 28 together.... hot like 26 responsive and cool.like 28 but after a good three hits the micro coils.get too hot.and I.burned my throat... I was at .4 ohms at five wraps... think this might be easier than a coil in a coil
My 24 gauge is spread over a much larger diameter than a micro coil,so its heat isn't as concentrated to where the inhale is uncomfortable. This setup is actually really easy to make. I just have the nano coil on a paper clip, center it in the 24 gauge, loop a long bottom leg under the 24 gauge and through the post hole, secure, and then loop the top leg through. A twisted micro coil is a totally different vape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread