The Innokin Lea - A follow-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terraphon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Well, interestingly, innokin commented on my video. They claim that the e-cig will only go for 12 seconds and then cut off, and even if it was on for more than 12 seconds it would not make vapor, meaning that the atomizer should shut off.

I am officially calling SHENANIGANS!

I have just made another video showcasing the issue and proving that this device WILL stay on for more than 12 seconds and can do so UNATTENDED when in passthrough mode.

Once again, I urge everyone to stay away from this device!

basilray

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2010
Minneapolis
www.youtube.com
They only come with 1 battery. Also, it would be foolish to believe that only 1 battery, out of all of the Lea's made, does this and I just happen to be the one that got it.

That wasn't my insinuation, no matter how much you might want to believe it was.

I won't say they will all behave this way but it can't just be the one. That's why I warn people to be careful

I would agree with you here, unless there was a way that you could have damaged the battery or USB cable, but that doesn't appear to be the case. If you had, it would also prove the device won't stand up to normal everyday wear and tear.

Terraphon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Phoenix, AZ, USA
That wasn't my insinuation, no matter how much you might want to believe it was.

It wasn't my insinuation that it was your insinuation that you were insinuating something which I wasn't insinuating you were insinuating no matter how much you might want to believe it was ;)

I would agree with you here, unless there was a way that you could have damaged the battery or USB cable, but that doesn't appear to be the case. If you had, it would also prove the device won't stand up to normal everyday wear and tear.

Yeah, I considered possible damage but the device has never been dropped, stepped on, thrown, microwaved, stapled, mangled, blown to bits or otherwise abused in any fashion so, as you said, that would prove that the device won't stand up to normal wear and tear.

I am going to be following up on this issue with another Lea, which is on its way to me now and should be here within the next few days. When it arrives we'll be able to see if the issue can be reproduced on multiple devices. If so, yikes.

Sense Field

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2010
Nomad
Hmmmm...I've been using one of these for about 3 weeks now and I have two more on the way for back up purposes. I'm going to try this with a fully charged battery tomorrow. I'll also test out the two I have on the way when I get them.

I will say...if this is an issue that requires multiple button presses when the battery is fully charged and plugged in...unless it can turn on by itself...I'm not all that worried. I'll simply keep from pressing the button multiple times when it's fully charged and plugged in. ;)

Could also disconnect the atomizer from the battery when charging...just as a precaution.

Anyway...if it is a widespread issue...I would expect the manufacturer to offer replacement batteries.

Cronus6

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2011
Florida
Yeah, I considered possible damage but the device has never been dropped, stepped on, thrown, microwaved, stapled, mangled, blown to bits or otherwise abused in any fashion so, as you said, that would prove that the device won't stand up to normal wear and tear.

Except perhaps by USPS/UPS/DHL etc. ;) [Joking here of course, but I swear I think they play volleyball with packages on their lunches sometimes.]

Thanks for the review, and the warning! Even more so now that a second user has duplicated the issue.

Terraphon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Except perhaps by USPS/UPS/DHL etc. ;) [Joking here of course, but I swear I think they play volleyball with packages on their lunches sometimes.]

Thanks for the review, and the warning! Even more so now that a second user has duplicated the issue.

Volleyball? I'm thinking baseball...soccer...rugby...

Also, 3 people now.

It's not looking good for Innokin.

VeeDubb65

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2010
Monmouth, OR
I've had my Lea for several weeks now, and I have not experienced this. I also have been unable to reproduce it. The switch seems no more likely stick while connected to power than when running "untethered," and when it does stick while tethered, the auto-shutoff seems to work just fine. i.e. I can hear it cooking for about 12 seconds, and then it stops.

This obviously represents either a design flaw or a defective batch. Since I haven't been able to reproduce the problem but several others have, I strongly suspect that it's a bad batch or batches. It's no more likely that I am the only one without the problem than it that you are the only one with the problem.

That's probably why they asked you about whether or not you were a distributor and which distributor you purchased it through. How else can they determine how wide spread a problem it is?

Edit - After a little more testing, I've seen that I can in fact reproduce this. See my response below.

Last edited:

Terraphon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Phoenix, AZ, USA
I've had my Lea for several weeks now, and I have not experienced this. I also have been unable to reproduce it. The switch seems no more likely stick while connected to power than when running "untethered," and when it does stick while tethered, the auto-shutoff seems to work just fine. i.e. I can hear it cooking for about 12 seconds, and then it stops.

This obviously represents either a design flaw or a defective batch. Since I haven't been able to reproduce the problem but several others have, I strongly suspect that it's a bad batch or batches. It's no more likely that I am the only one without the problem than it that you are the only one with the problem.

That's probably why they asked you about whether or not you were a distributor and which distributor you purchased it through. How else can they determine how wide spread a problem it is?

You make a good point. Unfortunately, there are no batch numbers and, without those, even if they know what distributor you got the device from it is impossible to know which batch it came from...for a number of reasons, such as

Their warehouse time
Shipping time to the distributor
Shelf time at the distributor

It sounds great in theory but without an official batch number, there's just no way they can know which is whose.

Also, I'm very glad your device is functioning the way it should. I hope it continues that way.

VeeDubb65

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2010
Monmouth, OR
After further testing, I can reproduce this. It's not as easy for me to trigger as it seems to be for you, but it shouldn't be possible at all.

I will say however, that while it's clearly a design flaw, and a serious one, I don't think it poses quite as large a risk as you've made it sound. It only happens if you try to use the shutoff while the battery is fully charged while still connected to power, which is not an every day event. Also, while I have no intention of letting it go indefinitely to see what happens, I suspect that the heating element would burn out before the outside got hot enough to be a fire hazard.

I will certainly still keep my Lea, and this won't stop me from recommending it to anyone, but future recommendations will also come with a warning about what is clearly a potential hazard, regardless of how serious it is.

Terraphon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Oh, I could certainly be overstating the potential risks of this device but...

Think about the first person who got burned to death because they fell asleep with a lit cigarette in their hand...I'm sure people didn't think it was possible, then.

It may never happen...I pray to god it doesn't. This thing does present that risk, though, no matter how slight and if I caught the flaw and didn't make a stink about it and it happened, I'd never be able to live with myself.

Levitas

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2011
Saint Louis
Oh, I could certainly be overstating the potential risks of this device but...

Or, to be a little more dramatic, a child or animal could touch the atty and potentially burn themselves. Less harmful than burning the house down or death, but still, I wouldn't want my kid burning himself on faulty equipment. I'd be pretty ... ...... at myself and the company if it happened. Just sayin'

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
I applaud you, Rob, for bringing this problem to our (and to Innokin's) attention!

I take a different position on recommending vs. condemning the device. This is the post I added to my review thread:
CAUTION when using the PT function

In the process of doing his own review, Terrephon stumbled onto a potentially dangerous flaw in the Lea battery, which occurs only in a unique situation: turning the battery OFF (the three button presses) while plugged into a power source. It is discussed in this thread.

Actually, I have not replicated it myself, but he clearly demonstrates it with his battery in this video.

Personally, I don't consider this to be a deal breaker, but users certainly should be aware of it.​

And in a follow-up:
Just don't press the button three times while connected to a power source ... and remove the atomizer while charging (I always do this anyway).​
I stand by my fairly positive review of the Lea, i.e., I very much like the battery (notwithstanding this problem) and the tank/atty could be good for those not needing or wanting strong TH. [From user posts in that thread and elsewhere, this is born out, i.e., some people very much like their Lea ... others are disappointed in the TH.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread