Status
Not open for further replies.

spacekitty

Krazee Kat Laydee & Guru-X2.5
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
SoCal, USA

I'm not sure what to post anymore, since the Rules seem to keep changing as we go along... :unsure:

But I am going to start off today with a wonderful (IMHO) cover of Led Zepp's "Kashmir", by the multi-talented Kevin Gilbert, who was taken from us much too soon...

This was filmed at 'The Troubadour' here in L.A.

A California native, Kevin was probably most noted for launching the career of Sheryl Crow... from her playing in his band, Toy Matinee, to doing most of the work on her 1st solo album... along with a lot of other talented musicians.
But as the saying goes: "She got the Gold mine, and they got the Shaft!!"

He was working on his 2nd solo LP when he died, which was finally completed a few years later by somebody who had worked closely with him... and sadly, most of his body of work was also released posthumously.

Here is a vid of Toy Matinee playing live... and if you look closely, you can see Sheryl Crow on keyboards in the background (up against the wall) LOL!!
TOY MATINEE - QUEEN OF MISERY LIVE (Roxy audio + Cactus video) - YouTube

spacekitty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
SoCal, USA

Another one from Keven Gilbert... this time he is reunited with the members of his 1st band, Giraffe, to do a tribute to Genesis' "TLLDoB" at the Progfest here in 1994 (which I attended!!)

They played for well over an hour, doing most of the songs from the 2 record set... but this has always been one of my faves... (and Kevin makes an excellent 'Rael') ;)

(sorry the vid is a bit out of sync...)

Here is the entire show, if anyone is interested...
Kevin Gilbert & Giraffe - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway Live at Progfest 1994 (full show) - YouTube
(serious Genesis fans will get a good laugh out of the pre-recorded intro!! :D )

Last edited:

spacekitty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
SoCal, USA

I thought I would post another version of the same song, if that's not breaking any Rules... :unsure: LOL!!

This time by an incredible band who does nothing but theatrical recreations of entire 'early'Gensis tours... (just please don't call them a "tribute band")

They actually got permission from Genesis to use the slides that were used for the projections in the original show, and the LD that put it all together back then also helped them with the timing...

A Canadian band... they got their name, Musical Box, from a Genesis song... and I went to see their show here in L.A. at a small theater called The Music Box, which I'm sure was no accident... LOL!!

They had a different singer when I saw them than the one in this vid, which was a good thing, because I think this guy looks more like Fonzie than PG's Rael.... :facepalm:

Here is a rare clip of the real Rael in 1975... ;) They played a show here that I am still kicking myself for missing!!
The Lamb Live at the Shrine 3-disc 2CD/DVDset - Genesis, Back In NYC - YouTube
(although I did see them play on the tour before this one, it would be the last time PG was with them)

Kookie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2010
Detroit, Michigan, United States
"Hurt" by Johnny Cash (original by Nine Inch Nails)

Johnny rulez!!!!
Johnny_Cash.sized.jpg

Kookie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2010
Detroit, Michigan, United States
"Mack the Knife" by Bobby Darin (original by Kurt Weill and Bertolt Brecht)

"Mack the Knife" or "The Ballad of Mack the Knife" was composed by Kurt Weill with lyrics by Bertolt Brecht for their 1928 music drama "The Threepenny Opera." It later became a standard performed by the likes of Louis Armstrong and Bobby Darin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread