The PERFECT Battery Pack Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

chev327fox

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2010
Nowheresville, ME
This mod idea goes out to Parky50 because he made one with this battery pack first, and it was the perfect find for a mod.

I did do a couple things different then he did. I used the USB output as my power source so I didn't need a separate voltage regulator (because it already has one) and I left the USB intact all I did was solder to it. Any one who can drill/dremel and solder can make on of these fairly easily and it cost $35.00 and free shipping (I will post a link). Also this thing works great!!! It works just as good as my Prodigy did and will last at least 3 times longer on one charge!

This is the perfect mod because it is 4,000 mAh because it has 2 18650 3.7v batteries, it is regulated to 5.3 volts when you buy it, fits in the plam of your hand(it is much smaller then you would think), has a master on/off switch built in, you can use the stock port and cord to charge it, you can also make it (like I did) so that it will still charge things with the USB port even after Modding. All You need to do it solder and a drill/dremel (a dremel or die grinder with a burr bit is preferable to a drill).

Here as some pictures sorry for the bad quality of them:

Here's the inside and you kind of see where I tied into the USB out put, it's right below the left battery in the picture.
34ye2xw.jpg

Here is the switch from MadVapes, this switch in this spot is a very tight fit, it is right below the 520 adapter on the top. I had to grind the 510 adapter down quite a ways but the metal wasn't needed anyway.
2mwsfh3.jpg

Here is a shot of the bottom, both the battery charging input mini USB and the output USB are both still functional.
30ustog.jpg

The master on/off switch that is still functional and a size comparison with in in my hand.
2yn04xw.jpg

Here it is with my 510 atty and shorty T-Tip and the on/off switch on, hence the green light :) .
8xk4yb.jpg

Tell me what to guys think.
If there is enough interest I will make a guide on how to make these so everyone can have one, I think with the switch and the charger it cost under $40.00 for this MOD which is a steal.

Here is the link to the cheapest Tekkeon MP1800 on the web: MP1800 Tekkeon TekCharge MP1800, Reusable Emergency Power Source to Charge and Power many Popular Portable Devices.

Oh and here are the specs on it, you can see how perfect it is... the regulator is around 5.3 volts and the amps aren't regulated so I think 2 is max.
dzgx83.jpg

chev327fox

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2010
Nowheresville, ME
Forgot this picture of the top silver 510 adapter and another size comparison with a Blu-cig charger box.
2rc1sv9.jpg

Oh and the LED tells you when the batteries are low so you know when to charge and don't deplete the batteries too far.

I don't know how long the 2 18650 4,000 mAh batteries will last but I'm going to vape steady on this thing and let you guys know how long it goes. Man this thing fit sooo comfortably in your hand, it's hard to believe there is 2 18650's in there.

chev327fox

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2010
Nowheresville, ME
Thanks Inforcer, yeah it would be nice to find a china supplier for these cheap, it would make it more worth it to make a few for people still pretty cheap at around $40.00.

Another good thing about this 5volt MOD is that it will never drop below 5v... ever. Even right before the batteries are going to die it still wont drop below 5v, It really runs at 5.3v but whatever.

markarich159

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
PA, USA
Beautiful Chev;
Looks slick and high tech and seems that it is relatively simple to mod. Also, you left the original capabilities intact(so you could still use this to power your ipod while vaping). I would love to see a step by step. Also, it would appear very easy to swap out to fresh 18650's when the original's wear out. I'm assuming , as well, this is a 5V "sweet spot" vaping device?? Good job , again!!!

WhatAClumsyGirl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2009
Mtns of Tennessee
Last edited:

chev327fox

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2010
Nowheresville, ME
Thanks for all your comments.

Well I'm glad it's working for you Chev as the specs from Tekkeon tell a different story on the USB output.

Tekkeon - TekCharge MP1800

Maybe you found some 'secret spot' to tie into. More exact details would be appreciated.

Willy I know what that says, that is what the nominal (or normal) output amps of the batteries but the recommended max on most batteries is 1.5amps but I think that those spec tell you what the most amperage that you CAN get out of it. The voltage is regulated but not the amperage, so it is whatever the batteries can do, Tekkeon doesn't want people to discharge the batteries too fast (but most all 5-6v mods do) but it will pull 2 amps from it.

chev327fox

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2010
Nowheresville, ME
Oh willy, I just tested it under load and it is putting out 2amps because it stays right at 5.3volts! It is just the manufacturers nominal (safe) discharge rate. Any mod that runs at 5-6 volts is drawing 2amps ir over from the batteries and people that run low res attys are demanding even more amps from the batteries, which actually makes low res attys even more "dangerous" and very hard on batteries.

I'm curious.....if the output current on these are really 2amp, why didn't you just use it as a power supply for a passthrough and eliminate all the work of modding it?......

Cart head, I can still use it to run a pass through if I want to... Didn't you read the thread? I tied right into the USB output and left it intact and you can still use it but I wouldn't use it while vaping obviously. But i have my other pass through mod and this charger works just as good as that and the passthrough has a AC/DC power supply or a USB cord (I can switch them with RCA.

SurvivorMcGyver

Ol' Timer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
The most I can get is 1.6A - 5.6 watts, 3.5v under load (5.3V - no load) These readings are locked in my meter at peak - all read simultaniously. Don't have a scope or recorder to be able to chart this thing from beginning to end of each vape but, needless to say; without modification, it underperforms for me. Planning on puting a regulator in to bypass the system board

BTW Park - I was born and raised in CS -- in the Valley below what was then Whitehouse Ranch (Now Rockledge Ranch) -- The Garden of the Gods was my Play Ground :toast: Growing up

PS.: That's with a 510 spot on 2.2 ohm atty.

Last edited:

chev327fox

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2010
Nowheresville, ME
The most I can get is 1.6A - 5.6 watts, 3.5v under load (5.3V - no load) These are locked in my the meter at peak all read simultaniously. Don't have a scope or recorder to be able to chart this thing from beginning to end of each vape but, needless to say, without modification it underperforms for me. Planning on puting a regulator in to bypass the system board

BTW Park - I was born and raised in CS -- in the Valley below what was then Whitehouse Ranch (Now Rockledge Ranch) -- The Garden of the Gods was my Play Ground :toast: Growing up
Most batteries are 1.5amp max. Maybe I was getting 5.3 volts underload because there is 7.4volts that the regulator is pulling from. Mine does not run at 3.5 volts. Maybe you didn't do it the same way or maybe my regulator work different but I constantly get 5.3volts, the regulator is pulling from 7.4 volts so when it drops it compensates.

If you get a different regulator it will not change the amperage output of the batteries... you cant change what batteries put out, sorry.

All Mods do this because they all have 1.5amp max batteries so there is no difference between this and any other battery mod on the market, th only way you can get the full proper amperage is from a power supply you plug in the wall. I have one that is 6v 2.5amp and it is way too much but I have one that is 5volt 1.66 amp and it is the "sweet spot" just like this Tekkeon is at 5.3volt and 1.6amp. I guarantee a lot of people will love this because it is that SAME as any other battery mod but with a longer lasting mAh and no drop in voltage even though the watts drop.

I vape heavy at 18mg and this is perfect for me so if you need at least 6 or 7.4 volt with high nic juice then you wouldn't like this or any other 5v battery mod.

Last edited:

chev327fox

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2010
Nowheresville, ME
Look this website says 800ma, they are all wrong. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/562338-REG/Tekkeon_MP1800_TekCharge_MP1800_Mobile_Power.html#specifications It is like he said, it runs a about 1.6amps which is the max for most batteries on discharge, all mods you buy are the same as this if they have batteries.

These other sites, including the manufacturer are posting the recommended output.

Oh and update on battery life. I charged it yesterday and finished making it last night and tested all night then used it all night and all today and no drop in voltage at all yet in 24 hours so we will keep going and see how long the 4,00 mAh will last me. The LEDs will tell me when the battery is getting low, if you look back at the specs it tells you at the bottom what LED color means haw much charge in the batteries.

SurvivorMcGyver

Ol' Timer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Most batteries are 1.5amp max. Maybe I was getting 5.3 volts underload because there is 7.4volts that the regulator is pulling from. Mine does not run at 3.5 volts. Maybe you didn't do it the same way or maybe my regulator work different but I constantly get 5.3volts, the regulator is pulling from 7.4 volts so when it drops it compensates.

If you get a different regulator it will not change the amperage output of the batteries... you cant change what batteries put out, sorry.

All Mods do this because they all have 1.5amp max batteries so there is no difference between this and any other battery mod on the market, th only way you can get the full proper amperage is from a power supply you plug in the wall. I have one that is 6v 2.5amp and it is way too much but I have one that is 5volt 1.66 amp and it is the "sweet spot" just like this Tekkeon is at 5.3volt and 1.6amp. I guarantee a lot of people will love this because it is that SAME as any other battery mod but with a longer lasting mAh and no drop in voltage even though the watts drop.

I vape heavy at 18mg and this is perfect for me so if you need at least 6 or 7.4 volt with high nic juice then you wouldn't like this or any other 5v battery mod.

Those batteries WILL put out well over 2.6 amps straight off -- Believe me --Just tested --- and at 15.7 watts (yuck)

They run my HV Atty at 1.5 Amps Beatifully at 10 watts though -- prbably safer in this range :)

Not sure where you're getting that 1.5 A max off the battery stuff -- I have some that but out well over 15A and mods that (safely) push 2.5 amps all day long.

chev327fox

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2010
Nowheresville, ME
Those batteries WILL put out well over 2.6 amps straight off -- Believe me --Just tested --- and at 15.7 watts (yuck)

They run my HV Atty at 1.5 Amps Beatifully at 10 watts though -- prbably safer in this range :)

Not sure where you're getting that 1.5 A max off the battery stuff -- I have some that but out well over 15A and mods that (safely) push 2.5 amps all day long.

Even my RCR123a's are only 1.5amp max. Sorry I really thought that is what most are recommended to put out.
But when I say 1.5amp max I am talking about factory recommended not what they will actually do!!! I am sure if you test them they will go above and beyond that but it isn't safe at all, this is why low res attys aren't safe because they make the batteries go above the "Factory Recommended" max amperage, a lot above.

But anyways my Tekkeon puts consistent 5.3volts even under load (not 3.5v), but like you said at 1.6amps the watts are lower then they should be.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread