Status
Not open for further replies.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
What is the advantage of SS wire over Kanthal?
Some folks don't see an advantage. Basically it goes so far when you mash the button, then sorta backs down on the heat. Or something like that. To me what it means is that with kanthal I could never sub ohm. it was just too hot and harsh to me. With SS I meant to build 1 ohm and by mistake built dual ohms at .5 ohms. thought, well let me try it. It was amazing. Not hot or harsh at all, but I tasted flavors in my juice that I hadn't tasted before.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
What is the advantage of SS wire over Kanthal?

Some folks, including myself, feel that it's a smoother vape. The reason is, as you apply power to the coil, and as the coil heats up, the resistance of the coil increases significantly. For this reason, most people build at a somewhat lower 'cold' resistance, than they would build with Kanthal or NiCr. Out can take nice, long, slow, draws, without having a hot vape toward the end of the draw.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
Some folks, including myself, feel that it's a smoother vape. The reason is, as you apply power to the coil, and as the coil heats up, the resistance of the coil increases significantly. For this reason, most people build at a somewhat lower 'cold' resistance, than they would build with Kanthal or NiCr. Out can take nice, long, slow, draws, without having a hot vape toward the end of the draw.
JUP! what he said

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Some people claim a "cleaner" flavor. I never had an issue with kanthal and flavor though.
I went to SS for some builds because all these recent good single coil RDA's (narda, hadaly, etc), I wanted MORE wraps at a particular resistance, to get more surface area. SS provided that - it's lower resistance, so you can hit your mark with more wraps.
I still use Kanthal for most duals...and I still have a lot of favorite setups that I run duals in.

Well, since I don't vape flavored juice I will just stay with what brung me to the dance.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Thanks for your responses everyone!! Now, my next question has to do with batteries. I have been using AW IMR 18650 3.7v 2200 mAh since the beginning.
My question is, is there anything better now. My batteries have been very good to me for 3 years now.

LG 18650HG2 3000mAh 20a

These are pretty good.. flat top though. Work great for woodvil and p67. Can use them in a grand but the throw would be longer since it's a flat top. I've been using a reo door magnet on top of them to make up the difference so it's like a button top.

Vapefiend

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Connecticut
LG 18650HG2 3000mAh 20a

These are pretty good.. flat top though. Work great for woodvil and p67. Can use them in a grand but the throw would be longer since it's a flat top. I've been using a reo door magnet on top of them to make up the difference so it's like a button top.
That's clever. Any noticeable difference in voltage drop with/without the magnet?

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
That's clever. Any noticeable difference in voltage drop with/without the magnet?

Nope.. it's a tiny magnet. Tested it and seen no difference under load. Can be a pain to make sure the magnet is in the right spot after first inserting the battery though. Just twist the batt to line it up and good.

Also protects the top of the battety from arcing which usually will create small dark etching (divits) on the batt top.

Been using them like this for like 2 years now.

Just add that you Can just keep the magnet on the battery even in the charger. I just swap the magnet when switching batts. Just touch the top of the batteries together and the magnet will jump to the next battery hehe. Smarter to just get a magnet for ea batt to make it more convenient.. next time I order from reosmods I'll grab more as there cheap.

Reactions: Debadoo

Vapefiend

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Connecticut
Got my chalice clone

Attachments

• IMG_3075.JPG
    IMG_3075.JPG
    519.2 KB · Views: 46