Not open for further replies.

Robinowitz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
No. Cal.
Unless i am mistaken, even giving things away falls outside of the ECF rulebook and all that stuff has to be done in the classifieds. A number of years ago a couple of Reonauts used to give away things that they made, but had to stop.

Such is the price of philanthropy.

T
Thanks @supertrunker. I wasn’t sure so I just checked on the ECF Rules and the only thing I see is about buying/selling (#17) but nothing else (that I see about giving). Hmmm...I must be missing something. Here’s the link: Forum Rules.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
I think the issue was that those giveaways were from someone that could be (or was) considered a VENDOR. That was a no-no...

Thanks @supertrunker. I wasn’t sure so I just checked on the ECF Rules and the only thing I see is about buying/selling (#17) but nothing else (that I see about giving). Hmmm...I must be missing something. Here’s the link: Forum Rules.

Reactions: Robinowitz

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
I think the issue was that those giveaways were from someone that could be (or was) considered a VENDOR. That was a no-no...
One of them was from Scott, aka Sterno was giving away a battery tester he called the Do-Hickey. It had a meter that showed what voltage your battery was at so you wouldn't run it down too low. ECF put the big cabash on him but I think it was because someone was selling them in the classies and they complained about him giving them away...

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I can’t remember exactly, but ECF made Karen (nerak) and Scott stop giving their things away. Scott was making those little do-hickeys, and Karen was making little vinyl carrying cases for our REOs. They were both just saying let me know if you want one...

I could go digging and find out what went down, but haven’t. It was a long time ago. I think @classwife might know the reasons or the rationale.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
@Papa_Lazarou

Hey man, we finally pinned down dates for our grand venture in your neck of the woods! I was going to PM you to discuss some things, and it said your inbox is full. Would you mind starting a convo with me, either through ECF or e-mail? My e-mail is fairtradesloth at tha gmail :thumb:

Joules_Verne

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2013
SW France
Almost missed today's date, this morning 5yrs ago I stubbed out my last ciggy and apart from one puff (I did inhale - wish I hadn't) six weeks later when I was binning all the ash-trays/tobacco pouch/papers/lighters and curiosity got me wondering what I had managed to give up, haven't had another since.
Started off on Volcano Inferno+tube-tanks then Provari then late 2014 got my first REO LP/Grand. Still on 4x REO's with an RM4 and 3xO-16s and life is good now and can't imagine how smoking had me hooked for 55yrs. Thanks to vaping, to ECF for informing me and thanks to REOs for making it easy. Not forgetting all the good folk on here who make this REO forum the most good-natured and helpful I have come across. Cheers !
DaveD

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
CongratulationsSparkles.gif

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Almost missed today's date, this morning 5yrs ago I stubbed out my last ciggy and apart from one puff (I did inhale - wish I hadn't) six weeks later when I was binning all the ash-trays/tobacco pouch/papers/lighters and curiosity got me wondering what I had managed to give up, haven't had another since.
Started off on Volcano Inferno+tube-tanks then Provari then late 2014 got my first REO LP/Grand. Still on 4x REO's with an RM4 and 3xO-16s and life is good now and can't imagine how smoking had me hooked for 55yrs. Thanks to vaping, to ECF for informing me and thanks to REOs for making it easy. Not forgetting all the good folk on here who make this REO forum the most good-natured and helpful I have come across. Cheers !
DaveD
I blame Papa_Lazarou

I remember when you showed up here. This is the thread you started while you were waiting for your first REO....

Oh, and Congratulations!!!!

Robinowitz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
No. Cal.
I blame Papa_Lazarou

I remember when you showed up here. This is the thread you started while you were waiting for your first REO....

Oh, and Congratulations!!!!
That’s some cool piece of history Jan which I didn’t remember. And a super duper congratulations to you @Joules_Verne!! I completely agree with your statement about the Reo forum being filled with good natured and helpful folks. That’s why I stayed and continue to stay. So glad you are still here to celebrate with us. Yippee!!

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Thanks all for the congrats and thanks, Jan, for that 'blast from the past'.
Should have tagged @Papa_Lazarou the enabler for his 'nudge' to the first of
what finished up as 5xREO grands. (almost.....as many as Jan )
DaveD
insert 'dancing happy guy' here

@Papa_Lazarou was very helpful to me when I started with the REO. That first purchase would not have have gone as well if not for the Papa.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
@Papa_Lazarou

Hey man, we finally pinned down dates for our grand venture in your neck of the woods! I was going to PM you to discuss some things, and it said your inbox is full. Would you mind starting a convo with me, either through ECF or e-mail? My e-mail is fairtradesloth at tha gmail :thumb:

Will do, brother.

I've been travelling the eastern reaches of my country for the last month. Nothing but tents, beach fires, lobster, and rum for me - no internet on purpose. I almost went ferrel and my resocialization has been spotty in parts :).

Be talking at you soon.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada

Robinowitz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
No. Cal.
Stop. I'm getting all verklempt here.

:headbang:
Welcome home! Glad you got away and unplugged. I’m actually relieved that you weren’t MIA cause of fires in your neck of the woods. For weeks now until Monday we have been getting the smoke down here from up yonder. (Not complaining as it unfortunately seems like a new way of life in the summers now....a way of life that saddens me). Well, not to end this “welcome back” note on a bummer: Squonk on Papa :banana: and looking forward to hearing some stories of your adventures. Haven’t been in eastern Canada since I was a pup.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
Will do, brother.

I've been travelling the eastern reaches of my country for the last month. Nothing but tents, beach fires, lobster, and rum for me - no internet on purpose. I almost went ferrel and my resocialization has been spotty in parts :).

Be talking at you soon.
Have fun my friend. The eastern reaches of your country are amazing. Nova Scotia is still possibly my favorite place I've ever been (pretty much tied with Utah, for entirely opposite reasons).

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Welcome home! Glad you got away and unplugged. I’m actually relieved that you weren’t MIA cause of fires in your neck of the woods. For weeks now until Monday we have been getting the smoke down here from up yonder. (Not complaining as it unfortunately seems like a new way of life in the summers now....a way of life that saddens me). Well, not to end this “welcome back” note on a bummer: Squonk on Papa :banana: and looking forward to hearing some stories of your adventures. Haven’t been in eastern Canada since I was a pup.

Our whole province is on fire. Not our island, tho, thank the gods. 2018 British Columbia wildfires | Google Crisis Map

By way of example of how bad it is, we were in Nova Scotia (far other end of the country) last week and noticed a very red sky forming near dusk. We joked that it was smoke from BC, and a woman walking past us said "you joke, but it's true". She then showed us an environment Canada air quality warning for the area we were in caused by "wildfires in British Columbia". This was 2,750 miles away. :shock:

From your comment on getting smoke your way, I guess we're pretty much smoking out the whole continent.

Because we're on a little island, fire spreading to us is neigh impossible, but a fire started on the island would be serious trouble. Everyone here has a bugout bag and 2 escape routes off the island, just in case. Fortunately, I can put a boat in the ocean from my property and we have 4 of them (extras for landlocked neighbours) by the beach ready to go.

Crazy times.

• Love
Reactions: Robinowitz

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Have fun my friend. The eastern reaches of your country are amazing. Nova Scotia is still possibly my favorite place I've ever been (pretty much tied with Utah, for entirely opposite reasons).

Nova Scotia is wonderful. You're going to love BC - imagine Nova Scotia mated with your home mountains.

We don't get the trippy tides out here, tho. We surfed kayaks on a tidal bore off the Bay of Fundy (highest tides in the world). For those who maybe aren't familiar, a tidal bore is a tsunami-like wave that happens when these huge tides come ripping into constricted passages like river mouths (Bernoulli fluid flow equation stuff, for all you physics geeks - the same reason liquid comes shooting out of a syringe when you put pressure on the plunger). If you get your timing and speed right, you can surf them. Jolly fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread