Status
Not open for further replies.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Haven't that problem with any of my Rock pods. Might want to take a closer look at the wick and see if that is burnt at all. Would assume the wick would burn before the plastic melts. What's the PG% of the juice you are using?

I started with 30% and syringed that out and dumped in 50%. You usually don't taste any burnt taste the first hit, just the second or third one. Can't see the plastic melting in that pic, as the more light you give it, the less the photo shows it. Getting the same thing from the Minifit. Although with my Vladdin devices, zero burnt hits whatsoever. But they are the coolest vape of all of my pods and uses ceramic wicking.

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida
I don't care much for the Boulder Rock though. It vapes too hot. Way too easy to get a burnt hit. No wonder Burnie rebuilds with 2.4Ω coils. That should cool things down a bit. :)
Stock coils are 2.2Ω. The wick is silica, so does not work well with high VG juice. Works good with 70PG/30VG ratio. As for the other post, I have never had one melt the plastic, but if it was dry from not wicking, I guess it would be possible. Try a new pod with 70/30 ratio and see if it works better. JMHO

VladK16

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2013
Toledo, OH USA
I don't know if I could vape anything as high as 70PG. As that sort of tastes like petroleum jelly. :unsure: What PG% are you vaping at with those Fasttech coils?

My DIY juice for my pod systems is always around 70-80 PG. The smaller coils/wicks in most pod systems just do not work well with higher VG mixes. Conversely, I mix around 80VG for my squonkers...

Reactions: BillW50

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
My DIY juice for my pod systems is always around 70-80 PG. The smaller coils/wicks in most pod systems just do not work well with higher VG mixes. Conversely, I mix around 80VG for my squonkers...

70VG works fine for my Vladdin and MyBlu. Although letting them sit for day when dry before vaping they are ready for chain vaping. After 20 minutes they are ok with short puffs.

• Agree
Reactions: Izan

Magic Of Light

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Englewood Ohio
Im currently using the Boulder Rock with 50/50, and i can hit it 2-3 times in a row as long as i give it a little prime on the 3rd with no dry hits. And afterward I pull it out and put it to my lip and can feel a tiny bit of heat, nothing enough to melt it. So I think a 50/50 juice works fantastic in it. Good clouds, good throat hit, pretty good wicking.

Of course, they will vary greatly pod to pod. So this one might be the exception since its my first one. Ill be getting some more early next month and we'll see if it still handles the 50/50 well.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Problem I have with 50VG juices is I never found any that I really like. Okay Blu's Gold Leaf isn't too bad. My favorites are coffee flavors (it's hard to find good ones though) and then some tropical fruit stuff (usually at 70VG).

Another thing that I should try with pods is I have added water before to thin out some thickness of juice and it works really well for my RTAs and RDAs. It doesn't take much water, like one drop per 5ml or something. Doesn't seem to change anything in the way of vapor or flavor, it is just thinner.

Magic Of Light

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Englewood Ohio
I have spent some time bouncing back and forth between the Boulder Rock and MyBlu. And I have to say the MyBlu does just hit better. I would like to see Boulder make another version with cotton wick to allow higher VG juices with perhaps a 1.5ohm coil instead of the 2.0 ohms im pretty sure it has.

Its just not really satisfying enough with the open airflow, and high ohm coil.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
Still really liking mine after several months use as a work mod. I get enough run time to last me through the day, which admittedly is just 4-5 breaks of frantic chain-vaping. Even so, I don't get any dry hits using Mr Salt E-liquid.

I don't have many different pod systems (MyJet, Suorin Drop) but for 10 bucks the Rock is still the best value for me.

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
I was just about to pull the trigger on some of these when I thought about the Dvarw V2 'styled' MTL RTA that I just ordered a couple days ago. Might as well hold off until I see how the tank works for me.

So I might as well share my find with y'all here. Vapingbargains dot com has these in a blister pack (no juice) for 6.99 2 pack of pods for 4.89. Appears to be $3 flat rate shipping. Christmas is right around the corner. Go clean em out guys and gals!

Last edited:

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
Still using mine, purchased March 1st of this year from Electronic Tobacconist for 10 bucks each. I have three, but mainly rotate two. Retired and working part time at Home Depot in the lumber department, where it's rough and dirty, I used these two exclusively while working and they got a little beat up but still function like new. I have only used Mr Salt-E liquid at 45mg and never had wicking or spitting issues with the Rock.

As far as the Rock being loud or whistling - I don't agree - or have not had that experience. I mean it's not myJet or Juul quiet, but no whistle...though it is a bit airy compared to my other pods.

I admit that I have somewhat limited experience with pod mods (myJet, iCare Mini, Juul, Vaporesso Omni) but this thing is by far the best value of all the pod mods I have used. Cheap, refillable, reliable, good performance with decent vapor and flavor, and still a steal at 10 dollars.

• Agree
Reactions: Burnie

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida
Burnie, I just found your video on rebuilding these pods. Thanks! I really enjoy my Boulder, but the pods go pretty fast and this video is something I've been looking for. Thanks again!
Glad I could help in some small way. I had never made a How To video, but thought it might help others since I figured out how to rebuild them. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread