Status
Not open for further replies.

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
Received my Russian rba Thursday afternoon, just in time to build my first coil ever, and head to work. As you probably know, The Russian rba is a Kayfun copy/clone. Unlike most clones, it is an exact copy, not just a look a like. This thing is a tank!! It weighs almost as much as my Provai. When mounted on said Provari, It looks like a Russian Rocket from the 60's. The build on this thing is flawless. Very Very Nice! The Vape is the Best I had so far. I thought the Protank II gave good vape, I was sadly mistaken. I mean the pt is good, better than a lot of under $20 tanks out there, thought it was the Cats Meow!!! I was Wrong Wrong Wrong. In comparison to the Russian, the protank is mediocre at best.

Ok, that said, I am a relative newbie at vapping. Only been at it for about 5 months. This is my first build, the first time I have made a coil. I used the supplied silica wick and the supplied coil wire. Wrapped the wick 4-5 times with the wire, installed it on the base, checked the ohms of the build with my Provari, tested at 1.8 ohms, figured I was good to go!!! Oh Joy!! Installed the vape chamber around the coil, dripped some juice to saturate the wick, fired it up, We got Vape. Completed the assembly of The Russian, filled the tank and I am vapping. Good to go.

First impressions were okay, just ok.. Needed some time to break in the new build. Halfway through my shift at work, and 3 breaks in, the flavor and vape quality started to increase dramatically I'm going OH YEAH!!! But still something seemed to be off. I noted that the tank and drip tip seemed to get really warm, I mean unusually so, warmer than my PT's ever did. Also the vape seemed a bit restrictive. Looked at it, and thought the hole on the drip tip looked really, really small, and the air flow adjust screw didn't seem to do anything. When a got back home, the first thing I did was to install the supplied drip tip adaptor, and used the tip from my PT II and took a vape. OMFG!!!! What a difference!! Now We be Vapping, Now I Get IT!! Now I see stars, purple hearts, shamrocks, blue moons,...oh chit Now I am Way Over Nic'd. I need to lay down before I fall down, oh, I am laying down. May be some water will help.

What I am trying to say, is that the Russian seems to be an excellent rba. With the larger diameter hole on the drip tip, the air adjust screw works really well. The coil build and install was easy. This is my first attempt, and it is working well, really well. After 2 days, it is still holding steady at the 1.8 ohms that I started with, when it was first built. Lung hits? Yeah, if you want them you get them. But I find you miss out on some flavor buy doing lung hits, so I don't do them often.

Can't wait to do my next coil build. I'm going to try wrapping the silica wick with 400 mesh SS, then coil it with 30 awg Kanthal A Resistance Wire. Thinking of trying a cotton wick setup too on the 3rd build.

Purchased the Russian for Salt Lake Vapor for $95. Was here 2 days later. Is it worth the money? You might as well ask if my Provari worth the price I paid.? Well let me put it this way, I could buy 4 or 5 Protank II's for the price I paid for the Russian, I would choose one Russian over 5 Protanks. Honestly they would just be sitting in the drawer because they just don't deliver the flavor or amount of vape that the Russian does. I am actually going to give one of my PT's to a friend to help him out.

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
Update on my coil build, have now gone to the Volcanic Dragon Nano build for the Russian. It's basically the micro coil build with the coil mounted vertically over the air intake aligning the ends of the coil between the air intake and funnel cap, with cotton wick on the outside of the coil, going from one juice deck and around the coil and over the ground terminal and into the other juice deck.

I now wrap up and around the negative post because I connect the top coil lead to the negative post, which leaves a wire dogleg over and down to the screw. Noticed that this dogleg would turn red hot when firing. So decided to cover it with wick to help keep it from getting to hot, and it also holds the wick in place.

Working great. Makes re-wicking a breeze, Simply pull out old cotton wick, dry burn coil, and then gently push new fluffy cotton back in. Saturate cotton with juice, test, assemble, fill and vape.

I don't totally surround the coil with cotton, I don't cover the positive terminal block. Wick looks like a "C" surrounding most of the coil. We found that to much cotton will tend to flood. The Nano Dragon is basically the micro build with the wick on the outside of coil instead of running through the coil. Check out the bellow link of Iteo's innovating design and how others are doing this build on different styles of rba's. Freaking Rocks.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...3-check-out-my-nano-dragon-coil-build-13.html

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
Well don't really understand your question, being that the Russian is NOT technically a clone. It is made by one of the developers of the Kayfun, who parted ways with ownership on the design. The build quality and materials used on the Russian is top notch.

But would agree that often getting a clone is a gamble. The same clone from the same company can differ greatly in quality from one to the next because of quality control. The real deal is always a better option for total satisfaction and quality. I have a few clones that I have tried to see if I like that style, some have been great some sit in a box somewhere. All my authentic mods and rba's are used and appreciated on a daily basis, including the Russian.

sahsah

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2013
los angeles, california, USA
Received my Russian rba Thursday afternoon, just in time to build my first coil ever, and head to work. As you probably know, The Russian rba is a Kayfun copy/clone. Unlike most clones, it is an exact copy, not just a look a like. This thing is a Tank!! It weighs almost as much as my Provai. When mounted on said Provari, It looks like a Russian Rocket from the 60's. The build on this thing is flawless. Very Very Nice! The Vape is the Best I had so far. I thought the Protank II gave good vape, I was sadly mistaken. I mean the pt is good, better than a lot of under $20 tanks out there, thought it was the Cats Meow!!! I was Wrong Wrong Wrong. In comparison to the Russian, the protank is mediocre at best.

Ok, that said, I am a relative newbie at vapping. Only been at it for about 5 months. This is my first build, the first time I have made a coil. I used the supplied silica wick and the supplied coil wire. Wrapped the wick 4-5 times with the wire, installed it on the base, checked the ohms of the build with my Provari, tested at 1.8 ohms, figured I was good to go!!! Oh Joy!! Installed the vape chamber around the coil, dripped some juice to saturate the wick, fired it up, We got Vape. Completed the assembly of The Russian, filled the tank and I am vapping. Good to go.

First impressions were okay, just ok.. Needed some time to break in the new build. Halfway through my shift at work, and 3 breaks in, the flavor and vape quality started to increase dramatically I'm going OH YEAH!!! But still something seemed to be off. I noted that the tank and drip tip seemed to get really warm, I mean unusually so, warmer than my PT's ever did. Also the vape seemed a bit restrictive. Looked at it, and thought the hole on the drip tip looked really, really small, and the air flow adjust screw didn't seem to do anything. When a got back home, the first thing I did was to install the supplied drip tip adaptor, and used the tip from my PT II and took a vape. OMFG!!!! What a difference!! Now We be Vapping, Now I Get IT!! Now I see stars, purple hearts, shamrocks, blue moons,...oh chit Now I am Way Over Nic'd. I need to lay down before I fall down, oh, I am laying down. May be some water will help.

What I am trying to say, is that the Russian seems to be an excellent rba. With the larger diameter hole on the drip tip, the air adjust screw works really well. The coil build and install was easy. This is my first attempt, and it is working well, really well. After 2 days, it is still holding steady at the 1.8 ohms that I started with, when it was first built. Lung hits? Yeah, if you want them you get them. But I find you miss out on some flavor buy doing lung hits, so I don't do them often.

Can't wait to do my next coil build. I'm going to try wrapping the silica wick with 400 mesh SS, then coil it with 30 awg Kanthal A Resistance Wire. Thinking of trying a cotton wick setup too on the 3rd build.

Purchased the Russian for Salt Lake Vapor for $95. Was here 2 days later. Is it worth the money? You might as well ask if my Provari worth the price I paid.? Well let me put it this way, I could buy 4 or 5 Protank II's for the price I paid for the Russian, I would choose one Russian over 5 Protanks. Honestly they would just be sitting in the drawer because they just don't deliver the flavor or amount of vape that the Russian does. I am actually going to give one of my PT's to a friend to help him out.
Make sure you're in a padded room when you try a .8 ohm micro coil with a simple cotton wick for the first time, because you're going to ....ing lose your mind. Ya, it's really that good. Keep on vaping bro, enjoy =]

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
No worries sahsah, after vaping the Aqua at .3 ohms, have learned to be laying down when experimenting with new builds!! lmao the post you quoted was from 6 months ago, now running the Mundy Magic wire in a dual series vertical build at 1.3 ohms on the Russian, but have it cranked up to about 20 watts on the Beast Box VV mod, pretty fraking awesome. lol

sahsah

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2013
los angeles, california, USA
No worries sahsah, after vaping the Aqua at .3 ohms, have learned to be laying down when experimenting with new builds!! lmao the post you quoted was from 6 months ago, now running the Mundy Magic wire in a dual series vertical build at 1.3 ohms on the Russian, but have it cranked up to about 20 watts on the Beast Box VV mod, pretty fraking awesome. lol
Huh... Sound fancy shandy, lots of titles and descriptive phrasing lol do you have any photos so I could get an idea of what that's like? I still haven't found the end all be all setup on my russian. Closest I've come is a vertical .8 with a carto build wick, but the issue there is the wick degrades waaaay too quickly. I'm talking like having to change it twice a day in average. And so my vaping pilgrimage towards enlightenment and flavor nirvana continues...

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
Yeah the single vertical was where I was at before going dual series vertical with the Russian. Basically just take a long single micro and bend it in two and mount, similar to the set up I did HERE and here is the thread for http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...92-alexander-mundys-magic-twisted-ribbon.html Took a pic of the twisted Mundy on the Russian, but the batteries died before I could upload it. Have explained my process on the micro coil build thread and a couple Russian/Kayfun threads.

EagleHawk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2009
Huntington Beach,CA
From the factory the adjustment pin is usually "stuck" into the main pin which is the screw that secures the floating deck portion. i took the whole pin out first thing when I got mine,; then removed the adjustment pin from the main pin, and then screwed the main pin back in to secure the floating portion of the deck and align. If the main pin is not tight and secure, the insulator will move out from under the floating deck piece. You have to hold the deck quite tight while tightening the main pin so that it doesn;t move on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread