The Space Travel thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

fumarole

ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2009
Relocating to Alpha Centauri - problems & ethics

Any other engineers out there? OK here's the problem: how to populate other solar systems before our planetary or solar system resources are used up. It's what's called The Human *Race* and of course it is the main problem for any species on any planet, as it has to be done before the metals, fuels and plastics run out (which won't be that long for us - 100 years or less?). Wooden spacecraft have not proven successful so far.

1. Heinlein has stated that a space vehicle only needs to accelerate at 1G for less than a year to reach the speed of light. Therefore to reach another solar system a spacecraft only needs 2 year's fuel to get there - 1 year to accelerate at 1 G, 1 year to decelerate at 1G - at least for the interstellar travel component of the journey. More is needed for the exploratory phase at the other end. They're not coming back though, if that is the total fuel capacity.

2. If sufficient fuel could be carried for a drive to power a spacecraft for two years or slightly more (perhaps a nuclear motor of some kind?), such a craft would need one other vital technology: an energy shield of some kind, since space debris would destroy the craft fairly soon when struck at such high velocity.

3. A space vehicle of this type would be fairly large as it will need a large revolving cylindrical compartment for living in, to create a 1G environment for people to live within the rim of, for several years. Plus food creation facilities on a large scale of course. A large power plant as well, plus major engineering resources and materials.

4. Such a craft could not be launched from the earth's surface as it would likely be larger than a couple of aircraft carriers, but it could be built in orbit. Arthur C Clarke's posited geostationary satellite tube uplink system might be used. He stated that there are no insurmountable reasons that a geostationary satellite (which he invented and of which there are now dozens of course, your TV transmitter satellites) could not be linked to the ground by a transport tube or other solid vertical link - which could be used for uploading materials to a large orbital vehicle.

5. The nearest star that might have a planetary system is ?? light years away. Therefore the spacecraft crew would comprise families, whose children would reach the journey's end. However one point of view is that people who would agree to such a journey are basically insane. Is it right to populate distant star systems with the offspring of insane people?

6. Is it right to populate distant solar systems with humans, anyway?

7. What if the best real estate is occupied?

as much as I would love to hear that we traveled to the edge of our solar system, or even to another planet that was earth like, I have a hard time believing it's going to happen in my life time especially since we can't even get people to the bottom of the ocean to explore the life down there. We have ways to do it but not with people themselves. Just like we have ways of exploring mars with robots.

rocketvapor

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2009
Rockledge, FL
Propulsion is, as you mentioned, a big problem. Even if you could get the ship into the solar system, you'd need a lot of fuel to do any maneuvering as for a planetary orbit. And then there's the problem of a means to get to a planet's surface for exploration. A shuttle of some type would be required, with its own requisite huge fuel load. (Just think of the problems we have just getting our own shuttles into low earth orbit.)

Another concern is consummables - oxygen, food, clothing, and especially, water. You need a means to produce your own food. Animals consume too many resources, so a vegetable-based diet is the most likely choice. The water and power required (for the grow lights) would be a tremendous drain.

Clother wear out, as do utensils, household needs, linens, towels, etc. This sounds frivolous, but consider living the rest of your life (and possibly your children's lives) in a small enclosed space with no Wal-Mart nearby.

Water will no doubt be the long pole in the tent. We just don't have a reliable method yet to extract the large anmounts we need daily to sustain life. You can recycle waste water, and condense the moisture we exhale daily, but I don't think it will be enough. You might be able to extract some from passing comets, etc., but that's pretty hit-or-miss.

Although I hate to say it, I don't think we'll see true inter-stellar manned space travel in our life times.

I'm also just starting to read Chariots of the Gods (only in Chapter 3 so far so I haven't gotten deep into the book yet), and I watched the History Channel show about it. And I say if December 21, 2012 is the mark of the day the aliens come back to visit to see how we are doing, maybe they will help us, or maybe they will despise us and ruin us. You never know...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread