Status
Not open for further replies.

carpedebass

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2011
The Alamo City
OK, ordered a Sparkplug from their website a couple of days ago. Two days to my door, so shipping was great!

When I opened the package I found it extremely well packed. Nothing moved around and lots of foam packaging to keep it that way.

I immediately read over the enclosed instruction sheets complete with all warnings, etc. Then I put the two batteries on the charger to charge for the required initial 4 hour time. After the wait I was indeed looking very forward to trying the sparkplug out. I put it together per the instructions (very simple) and nothing happened. After double checking everything, I tried again...still nothing. I was quickly getting disappointed with my acquisition, so I made a call to the company to see if I was doing anything wrong. Seriously there's not much that can go wrong with this extremely simplistic design. No electronics are involved other than the battery charger, the atomizer and the batteries.

I spoke with the lady that answered the phone and told her of my problem. She took my number and said someone would call me back. I fully expected to wait a few days before getting that call back. But 15 minutes the owner of the company called me and, by then I had figured out that I didn't have the button screwed on completely and it wasn't making contact with the battery.

Thus far the sparkplug vapes clouds with every kind of juice I've put through it...the included juice was a cross between menthol and cappuccino, with a very buttery, smooth taste. I have also run 50/50 PG/VG through it from Rockstar Vapors and everything tastes wonderful with no issues thus far. I am on day two and just now am having to recharge the first battery.

This is the SP3 sparkplug, so I am thinking a lot of the button issues and cap issues have been taken care of. Everything works very well as it is almost entirely a mechanical design with so few electronics involved to mess things up.

TH with the SP3 rivals that of the absolute strongest filterless analogs. It actually gave me a buzz after vaping heavily for about 10 minutes.

All in all, I would HIGHLY recommend this PV to anyone...For just under $35 to my door, this is an amazing find. The batteries are embellished with the Sparki emblems and say nothing about being protected. To me that is the only down side to the Sparkplug. After these batteries wear out, I will likely be replacing them with protected batteries, however the manual states clearly that no other batteries should be used in the SP3.

After two days, let's just say I am VERY impressed with the sparkplug. I'll continue to post review updates as time goes on.

Last edited:

prometheus

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2011
Pittsburgh PA
NICE! I just got mine in the mail yesterday. This is my first "Mod" and I must say I am loving it. I wrote to MW to ask if their batts are protected but still waiting for the reply. They did say that the Thermo tube package they should be selling next month will be protected and come with a different charger. I think they said they are using 2x18650 batts for it.

This thing is a beast. Def not good for stealth vaping lol. I actually was thinking of just buying a new kit when I need new atty's and batts lol. At that price why not?

Also anyone that gets this... give it a couple hours vaping to break in the atty. Mine was avg vapor for about 2 hours but since it has kicked into high and fogging my house out!

Anyone try these with a 801 atty yet or a 801 to 510 adapter and 510 atty? I hope they work...

*EDIT*

Ok so here is the official word from McDonald-Webb:

The forums put out a lot of semi true info. We have been around for over 2 years, sold thousands of SP2's and now SP3's and not one explosion. We researched this issue at the r&d stage. We tried to blow one up...we couldn't. Our product is mechanical, and has no switch to get stuck. The big battery, and two battery units can be dangerous without protected batteries, this is true. We would never put someones safety in jeopardy.

Sincerely,

President
McDonald-Webb, Inc.
James McDonald

Last edited:

carpedebass

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2011
The Alamo City
*UPDATE*

OK, apparently the atty that came with the SP3 was bad. I've been having issues with it almost from day one. It acts as though it isn't getting a good connection. Yesterday it died completely after a few days of working on and off. I contacted the company about it and they are sending a new one, along with a package of cartos for it just for the trouble. One thing I can say for sure...this is a customer service minded company! My sister hasn't had any trouble at all with her SP3, so I'm hoping this is just a fluke with this particular atty.

mgaruccio

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2011
Ohio
I can buy that about the protected batteries. My cell phone has Lithium Ion batteries that apparently are unprotected because they don't say anything...but no-one ever worries about their cell phone batteries...

There are a couple of reasons that no one worries about the batteries in their cell phones, the primary one though is that the batteries in a phone don't need a protection circuit built into the battery because that logic is built into the phone to prevent overheating. By the time a cell phone has drawn enough power to overheat a li-ion battery it would have basically fried every component within the phone so the device will detect the overheat scenario and shut down long before that ever became an issue. Since atomizers are designed to heat there is no guarantee that they would fail before the battery does in a situation where there was a short or other issue causing the battery to continue to fire for a prolonged period of time.

not saying that these batts are not safe in this usage but e-cigs and cell phones are not equivalent (not to mention there ARE stories of cell phone batteries failing catastrophically and causing injuries, primarily if they have been damaged but it has also been reported when using a phone while it charges)

Red Dog

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Massachusetts
www.facebook.com
Be very careful with the atty connector threads, they strip very easily, the aluminum they use is just too soft (6061 I believe). That was my only issue with my SP2, I went through three end caps in a few months. I'd throw it in my pocket, and the pressure on the atty would end up stripping the threads. After it happening three times, I ordered a Precise from Super-T Manufacturing. But their customer service was pretty good, they did keep mailing out new end caps for me. I just got sick of dealing with it. Ended up giving it to my girlfriend after I got my Precise. She hasn't had any issues, but then she keeps it in her purse, not a pocket.

Last edited:

carpedebass

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2011
The Alamo City
Protected batteries may cost $2 more than unprotected, but you're carrying them in your pocket where they could vent with LARGE flames, and they are in your pocket right next to your...ummm merchandise :)

Even if it's a 1 in 1,000,000,000 chance, I cringe just thinking about the possible results......

Yikes!..............8-o
I think my "merchandise" is worth more than $2.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread