The Squonkmate - my prototype top feeding, metered dripping system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giraut

Moved On
Dec 6, 2013
Hey everybody,

I got busy in the workshop this morning and came up with a feeding system that works better than I expected. Being a top feeding system, it works kind of like the Vapemate, so I call it the Squonkmate :) But that's where the comparison ends.

My system doesn't work by squonking, but by squirting metered amounts of juice into the atomizer. Each squirt of the pump delivers 0.1 ml of juice, or about 2 drops. Like the Vapemate, the delivery "head" sits between the atty and the drip tip.

But images are worth a thousand words. So here's a video of the thing in action:

Right now, it's velcroed onto my eVic, which isn't terribly clean. But it's good enough to test it for now.

Here are some photos:

1-squonkmateevic_zps008c6dc7.jpg

2-squonkmate_disassembled_zpsf714787c.jpg

3-squonkmate_squirt_needle1_zpse08bb911.jpg

4-squonkmate_squirt_needle2_zps62c85ee4.jpg

If you want to make one for yourself, you'll need:

- A long metal drip tip you're willing to sacrifice (or if you have a lathe, you can turn a drip trip extension, like I did)
- A 1.5 mm syringe needle (available at the chemist, or from DIY juice online stores)
- An empty 20 ml nasal nebulizer (available at the chemist)
- A short length of silicone hose used for fuel lines to feed miniature airplane engines (available at R/C stores)
- A short piece of 3 mm O.D. brass tubing (also available at R/C stores)

The needle needs to go through the side of the drip tip (or drip tip extension) and it's tip needs to rest on the inner side of the drip tip's hole, at the bottom. The tricky part of course is drilling the drip tip sideways.

Once the drip tip is drilled through, insert the needle into the hole, and cut it flush with the bottom of the drip tip with a Dremel cutter wheel. If you bend the needle just a little bit, it'll stay in the hole all by itself, without welding or gluing.

Then enlarge the nebulizer's pump's tip to 2.8 mm and forcibly insert a piece of 3 mm brass tubing into it. Then simply connect the needle and the pump with a piece of silicone fuel line.

That's all there is to it. Much, much cheaper and quite frankly, much better than a Vapemate :)

Giraut

Moved On
Dec 6, 2013
Video and pics not working - not even showing up - for me at least.

They seem to show up okay here, both from my hone internet connection and from my cellphone's 3G.

The photos and the video are on different servers from different sites (photos on Photobucket and video on Dailymotion). I have a feeling it's a problem on your side.

Giraut

Moved On
Dec 6, 2013
Pretty close to the same thing as notcigs "dripper". He uses a perfume sample bottle.

Yep, same thing. But I only paid 3 euros in parts for mine :) And more importantly, I made it myself, which I find more satisying than buying ready-made stuff.

What might be interesting to you is the top feed drip tip adapter buzzkill used on the VVPV. It worked really well.

Well, the drip tip adapter thing is nice because you don't have to modify anything. But for the next iteration of my device, I plan on installing the feed line directly onto the atty (drill a hole into the atty's skirt and feed juice directly over the wick).

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
Well, the drip tip adapter thing is nice because you don't have to modify anything. But for the next iteration of my device, I plan on installing the feed line directly onto the atty (drill a hole into the atty's skirt and feed juice directly over the wick).

I think that would be pretty great for some of the RBAs I've seen. Commercial attys might not offer enough space. I'll be interested to know how that goes. Keep us posted?

While my VVPV was working, I very much appreciated the control I had with metered top fed juice delivery... I just really wished it had been accomplished with a higher quality solution. -- The one feeder feature that really surprises me not to have been re-introduced is the programmable micropump the Eclipse EQ had. That was a great idea and those guys proved it could be done. One of these days, I hope someone will bring out a product with a reliable and well made automatic delivery system like that again.

Giraut

Moved On
Dec 6, 2013
I think that would be pretty great for some of the RBAs I've seen. Commercial attys might not offer enough space. I'll be interested to know how that goes. Keep us posted?

I ended up turning a new bell for my Smok Mini RDA, with 1/4" extra clearance above the posts, and a 1/8" wall thickness. That way I'll have space and enough material to install a greasing nipple permanently on the side of the bell that'll feed juice into the atty, just below the drip tip. More on that later.

Smok_Mini_RDA_extended_bell_zpsf74209ff.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread