The Tourist - New Movie With Lots Of Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

theopold

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2010
San Jose, CA
One day someone in the vaper community will meet the prop guy for The Tourist and find out what the process was for picking out the e-cig and how many they had sitting around the days he'd use them.

Well, as previously mentioned, he went back to analogs (temporarily, at least) at the tail end of the movie. Perhaps they were worried about straining credulity? As we all know, if he was using a proper mod it's likely that never would've happened...

revolver

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Buenos Aires
I like the plot of the story very well plan. Although is short but they implant e-cig.
Indeed. And in my opinion, not only does the electronic cigarette make its first appeareance into the big screen, but with brass knobs on, I must add! Depp is a very iconic star!
I think they never use e-liquid to refill and so half way the guy vape with not much vapour.
Which is only natural to viewers; meaning that the device is presented as a discrete one. I guess this is a politically correct, viewer-friendly approach. Had he been sucking onto a box bigger than his head and taking huge puffs producing clouds of vapor would have made the e-cigarette come across as a drug-illegal type of stuff. This is only a smart move.
For the whole story movie if u all notice, they are blending in e-cig as alternative.
Another smart move. They present the PV as an available aid / alternative to traditional smoke. This adds up to the profile they give Johnny Depp's character, as that of a risk-free type of guy; a person who is trying to stay healthy and palying it safe.
Angelina's character even makes fun on this, suggesting that he is not the real macho out of vaping, but in a rather complex communication gap. The psychological-symbolical implications to this are great, for she suggests it is not what a 'real man' would do, thus implying that it is not 'the latest cool thing on the block' (this acts as a real kids working disclaimer, and we wouldnt like e-cigs to be branded the other way round for it would be missleading and counter-productive), but within a funny tone, as in 'just kidding'...
He also mentioned to police that he don't smoke but the scene before he enter the party he light up again. I guess that e-cig was a hassle and so they let the character smoke again.
LOL. How come a hassle; refilling carts-wise you mean? Haaaaaaa. Cool. As you mention, he certainly points out he doesnt smoke and looks at the analog with desire, but prevents from lighting one up, since he is commited not to. But, eventually he smokes one. Yet, in the context of the movie this part represents his moment of deepest weakness; he is lost, and he should let go; he should stop playing it safe... So this here could act as a symbol of Depp's rebirth. This was his moment of chaos and he was to embrace it. Only then he will be granted redemption...
I think the point of his lighting a real smoke at that point was to say dangerous or not, This is what i want to do right now, or that was the impression that I got, that he was literally saying I will do what i want when i want kind of thing.
Then he resumes his non-working mode, and gets his PV back.
The bottom line being this represents a very smart well thought way to brand a PV, for it is presented in a sensible, serious way, which represents the choice of a man who wants to play it safe, and there is a message of this being the 'cool guy's choice' but in a subtle, subliminal way, for eventually, when Depp ends up showing who he really is, that safe man becomes a very cool guy who is one step ahead. And the PV is a very detailed symbol to his identity.
There is one part which is good when that
Guy say alex smokes have black teeth but he mentioned that he quit and uses e-cig and so no black teeth.
I guess he also wash white his teeth when he do his face surgery.
[/QUOTE]
Yep, and he even says that with an underlying tone of pride... kinda.
Anyway, I have commented on this in another thread because I hadnt seen this one...
BTW, Is that a picture of you (the avatar, I mean), Zeroi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread