The ultimate stainless mesh wick

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
I've been experimenting with mesh wicks for a few months and I think I found one that works exceptionally well, certainly better than any other method I've been able to find and replicate. Whether you use the standard zen coiling or the Petar K method, this wick is definitely worth a try.

I call it the SS Multicore or SSM for short. Briefly, the wick consists of 3 thin and tight SS mesh strands, wrapped tightly in a 1-layer SS mesh wrapper.

Step 1
Condition the mesh by heating it with a lighter, or dipping in ejuice and lighting on fire. It's not necessary to torch or oxidize the mesh, but the heating makes it stiffer and less springy, which makes tight rolling much easier.
Step 2
Cut up a 3 strips strip of mesh about 4mm wide and roll it tightly into 3 thin strings.
WP_001410.jpg WP_001411.jpg WP_001412.jpg

Step 3

Cut up another strip of mesh ~4mm wide. This needs to be wide enough to roll around the 3 thin strings and overlap a bit, but still be a single layer for most of the circumference. Then insert the 3 thin strings into the wrapper and wrap tightly
WP_001414.jpg WP_001415.jpg

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
Step 4
Trim the ends to the size you need for your rba, and keep tightening the wrapper until you get the desired size to fit snugly into your coil
WP_001417.jpg WP_001418.jpg

This wick was made in #400 mesh made of 316 stainless steel. the SSM wicks like crazy and has great storage capacity. I've been vaping SSM wicks on 3 different devices for a couple weeks with coils between 1.0Ω and 1.8Ω and power between 11W and 27W:blink:. I vape 50/50 VG/PG mixes. The SSM delivers great vapor, TH, and flavor, but most importantly it is consistent, wicks great even without the classic Genisis tilt and I never got a dry hit even when I tried.

Using other mesh sizes, or other grades of stainless may result in different performance. YMMV

docabramson

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2009
Tampa FL
Setup a dual wick on a Cobra tonight with this method. Worked really well.
400 SS - 28g kanthal
Dual wick + 28g ended up making it crazy low ohm @ .4
This method is keeping up with the demand for liquid.
I have tried everything, silica, ceramic, glass tubes, other various natural materials. Always end up comming back to SS.
Again thanks for sharing, worked as intended.

Sent from my Epic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread