Status
Not open for further replies.

Mudflap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Tyler, Texas
I'm only speculating here too, but my thoughts are the Vamo already has short circuit protection built in and If you are using verified IMR batteries And you have the correct sized spring preferably a Hot Spring you really don't need a ShortStop or a VapeSafe 2c. The correct spring will cost you +$2.50~ and no further issues or a ShortStop that might cause the Vamo to not work at optimum level for $15.

I understand how these come in handy when using mechanical mods especially so when stacking batteries but I also understand that when using VV's the danger only appears if the short happens whilst the batteries have just been installed fully charged (no drop off) are totally unprotected (not IMR) or with batteries that do not use safe chemistry Then you would be wise to use a ShortStop or VapeSafe or similar, otherwise it's superfluous to requirement. Yes? No?

Is it necessary? Absolutely not. Is it superfluous? I don't believe so.

My thinking is this: IF you have to modify it in some fashion to snug up the 18650 battery, why not use an inexpensive add on that provides an extra layer of protection? Granted, the device itself has built in protections, but electronics can and do fail. A ShortStop or VapeSafe as a spacer that also provides additional protection seems like a logical solution for those that care to implement it. If Vamo users would rather stretch the spring, replace the spring, or use a magnet spacer, that's their choice. I was just sharing an alternative solution.

xpen

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2012
Italy
Is it necessary? Absolutely not. Is it superfluous? I don't believe so.

My thinking is this: IF you have to modify it in some fashion to snug up the 18650 battery, why not use an inexpensive add on that provides an extra layer of protection? Granted, the device itself has built in protections, but electronics can and do fail. A ShortStop or VapeSafe as a spacer that also provides additional protection seems like a logical solution for those that care to implement it. If Vamo users would rather stretch the spring, replace the spring, or use a magnet spacer, that's their choice. I was just sharing an alternative solution.
IMO the more fancy stuff between the battery and the mod, the worse it may only get (electrically); we've already seen what happened with the latest, 'beefier' Vamo resistors springs.

All in all I'd just buy a better spring for my vamo, and with the change left from not buying extra 'fuses', another IMR battery perhaps. Which is what I did, incidentally :)

xpen

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2012
Italy
I ws told by Sin City that if you use IMR batteries it would void what warranty it has.
I use AW IMR 18560's so I am unsure about buying this device.
Sin City says it could ruin the electronics or even worse explode.
I don't see how a protected, IMR, battery could cause a problem.
Only the Hi-Drain function could cause a problem IMHO.
Your thought?????

louis
Voiding the warranty for what? For using IMR batteries? :lol: Possibly they meant "for NOT using IMR batteries", that much would make some sense at least...

Personally I wouldn't buy from a vendor who doesn't appear to know what they're talking about, but would definitely get a Vamo anyway, it's an excellent device for the price.

TraceyS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2012
Blacksburg, Virginia
I just ordered the vama and this is a long thread........bump to the end, what batteries do I order for it? I ordered two EFEST 18650 Batteries. Getting ready to order a couple more so I can also get my 510 to ego adapter. Thanks!!

edited to add: It looks like I need to get a couple of EFEST IMR 18650 and 18350.

Tracey

Last edited:

xpen

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2012
Italy
I just ordered the vama and this is a long thread........bump to the end, what batteries do I order for it? I ordered two EFEST 18650 Batteries. Getting ready to order a couple more so I can also get my 510 to ego adapter. Thanks!!

edited to add: It looks like I need to get a couple of EFEST IMR 18650 and 18350.

Tracey
yes that's what you needed, good choice IMO.

Just a word of caution about stacking the two 18350s, though, which isn't recommended pratice even with IMR batteries. Other than that, enjoy! ;)

Deebo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2012
Kentucky
Getting ready to pull the trigger and order a Vamo tomorrow. Doing research to determine which battery best fits my needs. This thread is very helpful. Going to order some AM IMR 18650 button tops to avoid the rattling issue and a couple aw imr 18350s to use in the short mode. "IF" i were to stack two, 18350's, are the flat top batteries the ones to get to avoid the issue of the cap not screwing on all the way? Do the flat top 18350s rattle when using a single one in the vamo?

Last edited:

Mudflap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Getting ready to pull the trigger and order a Vamo tomorrow. Doing research to determine which battery best fits my needs. This thread is very helpful. Going to order some AM IMR 18650 button tops to avoid the rattling issue and a couple aw imr 18350s to use in the short mode. "IF" i were to stack two, 18350's, are the flat top batteries the ones to get to avoid the issue of the cap not screwing on all the way? Do the flat top 18350s rattle when using a single one in the vamo?

I've got some flat top Efest 18350 IMR batteries and they're the exact same height as my nipple top AW 18350 IMR batteries. My AW 18650 IMR batteries do rattle without some kind of spacer. My (wife's) Vamo has the original dinky spring. I've got a beefier spring ordered.

xpen

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2012
Italy
I've replaced my vamo's spring with a bigger/sturdier one (from an old flashlight) so none of my batteries rattle now, either 18350 or 18650, all button-tops Efest and AW. Note: Efest IMRs are a bit longer than their AW counterparts of the same capacity.

You already know stacking batteries isn't recommended, so I'm not going to preach to the choir here :). All I can say is some flat-top 18350s won't make contact to each other when stacked, while some button-top 18350s won't fit in the vamo in pairs (not with the cap fully screwing in, that is). Possibly coupling a flat-top with a button-top might work, both electrically and sizewise, but haven't tested that.

Last edited:

guesswhoy0

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2012
San Diego
My experience with the VAMO, both the AW IMR 18650 button top and Efest 18650 button top do fit well but still fall under the issue with the stock spring being rattly and sometimes detecting it as a new battery being put in. However, with that said, as long as you can deal with that it's a great mod. Personally, I've dealt with that issue for 3 weeks now and finally got a spring from AvidVaper just now.

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
These seem to be the identical spring the several posters have reported as working. Unfortunately, both seem to be currently out of stock.:(
HeliX hot spring
Silver Bullet/Omega - Replacement Hot Spring

If you have the larger spring which causes the battery cap to heat up you might want to try the fix in this post.

If you have the wimpy spring that allows the battery to disconnect try pulling out the spring a bit and putting some tape around the battery so it fits a little snugger in the tube.

In either case, ask your seller to provide you with a proper spring. Health Cabin announced today that they will be sending out a replacement spring so U.S. vendors should have them pretty soon.

meli.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Private Suite GroenDakkies
If you have the larger spring which causes the battery cap to heat up and you want to try the fix in
heat cap problem solved post.
Please check the spring every-time you change batteries. Copper wire does not have flexibility or springiness so eventually it will push/crush the spring flat and you don't want that to happen, the method in this post is a Temporary Fix Only.

Hot Springs are also available here: Electronic-Cigz.com - Hot Spring Omega / Silver Bullet

ericska

ECF Veteran
Verified Member

meli.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Private Suite GroenDakkies

ericska

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Going by your location, you could try here and see if you can get a spring, this is the correct spring.

Copper hot spring like Altsmoke

Yeah, saw it few days ago. But don't know how to order from them... Anyway, thanks for the link.

Edit: And their price was doubled... rather wait for my seller.

Last edited:

ericska

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Send the seller a private message, ask her how to place an order, use paypal if you have it, ask seller to send you an invoice first, make sure invoice is for the correct item and that you aren't making a gift payment, then make the purchase. Or just call her.

Ok, I'll try PM her and thanks so much for help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread