The VAMO battery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

louis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2010
Mt Vernon,Texas
I ws told by Sin City that if you use IMR batteries it would void what warranty it has.
I use AW IMR 18560's so I am unsure about buying this device.
Sin City says it could ruin the electronics or even worse explode.
I don't see how a protected, IMR, battery could cause a problem.
Only the Hi-Drain function could cause a problem IMHO.
Your thought?????

louis

Waterman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Colorado
what does your bottom cap spring look like?

The v 2 first came out with a longer yet thin spring that heats up and compresses, now there is a third spring.I got my Vamo v 2 early Dec and had the "new spring". My bottom cap gets warm when I vape and even with a spring stretch It will compress after it warms up. The vender I purchased it from is sending the thicker spring. I am wondering if you have the thinner spring also. View attachment 164840

rideco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2012
Colorado

jifjifjif

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2011
Vape Canaveral, FL
The v 2 first came out with a longer yet thin spring that heats up and compresses, now there is a third spring.I got my Vamo v 2 early Dec and had the "new spring". My bottom cap gets warm when I vape and even with a spring stretch It will compress after it warms up. The vender I purchased it from is sending the thicker spring. I am wondering if you have the thinner spring also. View attachment 164840

Mine looks like the picture on the left

Waterman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Colorado
Mine looks like the picture on the left

Mine is the one on the left too, and have a few random issues that is caused by the spring, it is too thin. Told Health Cabin about it and the said they have a thicker replacement spring (the one on the right) and that should solve issues. You should check with your supplier, mine will be free. For batteries I am using Panasonic CGR18650CH button tops.

Underwhelmed

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2012
Texas
I had the second version spring. Stretched it and everything worked OK. No rattle with the Panasonic 18650's.

I did seem to get a bit warm with extended use though, so I bought a Helix spring from Avid Vapers since the Silver Bullet springs were out of stock at Altsmoke. Takes a bit of uncoiling of the bottom coil to fit since it's just a bit smaller than the bottom cap.

I tried some large battery springs from MadVapes before this, but they were way too long.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
I ws told by Sin City that if you use IMR batteries it would void what warranty it has.
I use AW IMR 18560's so I am unsure about buying this device.
Sin City says it could ruin the electronics or even worse explode.
I don't see how a protected, IMR, battery could cause a problem.
Only the Hi-Drain function could cause a problem IMHO.
Your thought?????

louis

Hi Louis,
First time I've heard of a warranty being voided by using IMRs. To be blunt - they don't know what they are talking about. IMRs are the only ones you should be using. They have safer chemistry, and can handle the drain that these sort of devices put on them.
AW IMR, Efest IMR or Panasonic IMR are all good batteries.

A group of people who know about batteries and safety contributed to the ECF guide on batteries:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-library/129569-rechargeable-batteries.html

From that guide there is this:
We now advise that Li-Mn or top-quality Li-FePo4 rechargeables are used in APVs, in preference to rechargeable Li-ions. We suggest the best option, in order, is:

1. AW IMR Li-Mn rechargeables.
2. AW Li-FePo4 rechargeables [Li-FePo4's MUST HAVE A SPECIAL CHARGER]. Note that these batteries are mostly 3 volt nominal so the system voltage will be lower than normal.
3. Good quality (such as AW or Pila) protected Li-ion rechargeables.
4. Branded protected Li-ions come next - such as xxxfire Li-ion rechargeables (for xxx insert Trust / Sure / Ultra-).
5. The least-preferable option is a generic protected Li-ion.
6. Unprotected rechargeable Li-ion cells should not be used.
7. Standard cells (non-rechargeable) should not be used
I recommend reading the whole thing.
IMR batteries will not ruin this device, and are the least likely to explode on you. IMRs are not protected - they have a different, and actually safer chemistry.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
I just bought the Xtar WP2 charger with additional 2 spacers to charge my 18350's. I charge the batteries at 0.5amps. Another question is, I normally use 1 18350 on my Vamo and it last for about half a day. Is this normal? I normally set at 6-7w with Vivi Nova 1.8Ω coil.

Hi Shahzh, Half a day doesn't really say how long it lasts, because people vape for different amounts of time in half a day. If you say how many hours of vape time you get it will be easer to see what sort of battery life you have.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
Oh..let say about 4-5 hours. My 18350's is coming to about 10 cycles of charging.

What mah are the 18350s? I'm assuming they are IMR also?
I have 700mah IMR 18350s. 5-6 hours would be about right for mine - but I don't think I've hit 10 cycles with these ones.
It is also going to depend on what watts you vape at, resistance etc. 1.8 ohms seems a bit low to me. You could go up above 2.ohm and try that, like between 2.4 - 3.0 ohms.

MattB101

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2012
Deerfield Beach, FL
I am using two EFest IMR 18350s in mine. Cap screws all the way on. It's the V2 from Health Cabin with the heavier spring.

I don't use two AW IMR button top 18350s in the Vamo but put two to see if they fit. Wasn't able to screw the end cap all the way - there was a gap about the size of the grooves on the joins on the mod (if that makes sense).

Did you especially want to use two 18350s? A single 18650 gives good power. This post links some 18650s that are suitable for the Vamo: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/vamo/361425-just-won-vamo.html#post8093595

Don't know if that's any help but thought I'd point there in case it is. I use the Aw IMR 18650 myself. It was a bit loose in the tube so I stretched the spring up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread