The Vaping Experiment - How Long can I go Without a Vape?

Status
Not open for further replies.
originally posted here The Vaping Experiment – How Long can I go Without a Vape? « Big Vapers

---

I have not had a cigarette, as of this post, in 5 moths, 7days, and 20 hours - and yes I am very proud of myself!

I think it goes without saying - but I'm going to say it anyways - that I could not have done it without turning to vaping!

For those of you who were smokers or still are smokers, you know how difficult it is to go, depending on your addiction, without a cigarette for x amount of hours. Unfortunately for me - at my peak - it was basically every hour! Yes, I was a pack a day or more smoker for years.

I started vaping about 2 weeks after quitting. I was using nicorette inhalers and gum and it was increasingly becoming difficult - and yes I cheated once or twice. After a long discussion with my wife, on how I did not want to fail this time, I decided to research electric cigarettes - they worked!

Within a month of using a pen style e-cig, more specifically the joyetech 510-T, I discovered eGo's, then MOD's ... the rest is history.

Vaping fulfills my needs as an ex-smoker, both physical and mentally. I enjoy the taste of the eJuice, the feeling of the vapor in my throat, the clouds of vapor above my head, and of course the nicotine to relieve my cravings.

Have I switched my addiction?

This is a great question - and a question I get asked a lot by non-vapers.

Most smokers don't like to admit it - we are addicts! Addiction comes in all forms: drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, food, coffee, sex, etc. You can be addicted anything! The key is understanding that the real addiction is addiction. In other words we are addicted to being addicted to something.

It is very common for people to switch addictions - recovering alcoholics and drug users commonly move to chain smoking, ex-smokers commonly move to food - these are common switches because the mind is looking for a way to relieve stress and replace that emptiness you feel emotionally and psychologically. When your body has become conditioned to perform a certain behaviour regularly you have this incessant need to replace it - it's only human! However, you can overcome this and many people do.

In the end it is all relative - meaning switching addictions is not necessarily a bad thing depending on what that new addiction is :)

The Vaping Experiment

Am I, are vapers addicted to vaping? Have we just switched one addiction for another?

Personally, I would agree we have switched addictions - for better! If I'm going to be hooked on something I rather it be safer than smoking and something that will not affect those around me in a negative way - yes, yes, you could argue that it may affect individuals that don't agree with vaping, however there is no proof that "second hand vape" is dangerous.

Most of us, including myself, vape eJuice with nicotine in it. Agree or not, there is clinical evidence that nicotine has addictive properties. Nicotine can also be dangerous at certain dosages - not the doses used in eJuice - but, then again, so can caffeine and even water.

What I'm curious about it is whether or not I can go for long periods of time, starting with 24hrs as an experiment, without vaping and not having any side effects.
When I smoked - after a few hours with no cigarette I started to "rehab" my body needed both the physical and mental fix. I experienced drowsiness, light headedness, change in attitudes and emotions, etc. As a smoker, current or ex, you know exactly what I mean.

So, the question is - can I go for at least 24hrs without a vape and not have a "vape fit"? Have I switched addictions and now need to vape?

I've gone for a few hours without vaping and not had any issues - but in all fairness, I was keeping myself busy with something.

The Plan

I'm going to begin by not vaping for a period of 24hrs - or the equivalent of a regular day. I'm going to do it on a weekend where I don't have work to keep me busy - only the stress of my kids :)

I will document, on paper, each hour how I feel starting from the time I wake up to the time I go to sleep.

I will make no assumptions to begin with and treat this experiment as normal day.

Once complete I will review and report back here - depending on the results I may try to go for a longer period of time.

Join In

If you feel so inclined I invite you to join in - take the same experiment this weekend and share your thoughts here - I'm curious to see how similar or different it is from vaper to vaper.

Wish me luck!

bander68

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2011
Conroe, TX
I'm curious. Last week. I went to work at a part-time job for a 4 hour shift where I can vape freely. I forgot to swap batteries before I went in, and spent the whole shift "freaking out" that I was about to be caught without my pv. Why was I so worried? Am I that badly addicted? I may be healthier than I used to be, but I'm just as addicted-maybe more. Please keep posting your results!

Cuando

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2009
Living in a box of CelluCotton
My goal is to get to 0mg. Just ordered a bunch of juice in 12mg (I've been using 18-24mg almost exclusively).

And to the OP, of course we are switching addictions. Vaping has made me realize just how much of a junkie for nicotine I am. I carry a kit around like some ...... addict (batteries, juice, atomizers, cartos, charger, q-tips, etc.). That said, I know for a fact that vaping is better for me than smoking. Not only do I not smell like hot buttered ..., I breathe easier, have more stamina, feel more alert, I can taste my food, I can smell things I haven't smelled in years (and smokers, we are GROSS). Preaching to the choir, I know.

I'm curious to see how you do vapeless. I know I start getting cravings for my nic fix after a couple hours, but that in and of itself is amazing. Left to my own devices, I would smoke a pack to a pack and a half a day. That's at least a cigarette an hour. And by the time I'd light my next one, my body was already asking for it's drug of choice. So, to go a few hours before getting that craving ... it's just so liberating. If this batch of 12mg does the job of killing my cravings, my next batch will be 8mg, and I hope by the end of the year I can be at 0mg without any real difficulty. I'm personally sick of being a slave to nicotine like I have been the past 20 odd years.

flbutterfly1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2010
Interlachen, Florida
I can go up to 2 weeks or so but then I must vape. I am down to 0mg. When I go for weeks I will crave a menthol cig bad.I haven't smoked menthols for many years. This morning I had a craving and found myself looking at menthol juice online so I had to go make some. I vaped for awhile and now I am better but think I need to break-out the old 4mg smilin menthol to get over this I still want to smoke. I almost bought cigs at the store a few minutes ago.

Forkeh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2012
California
I feel that my addiction is now only mental. I don't feel physically dependent on nicotine. I've gone days without vaping (ran out of juice, slow shipping). I didn't like it, but I wasn't going through withdrawls or anything. I think cutting my nic down to 6mg has played a big roll in that.

The only reason I continue to vape is because I honest to god enjoy it. I love the way the vapor feels on the throat. Funny story though, I occasionally have a cigarette for comparison (when I say occasionally I mean once or twice a month at the most and I don't usually finish it). The things is, now that I'm used to vaping, my little 6mg juice packs more of a punch than cigarettes. Cigs are like sucking on air to me now, virtually no TH. Interesting isn't it?

RosaJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA
I've been smoke free for 6 months now. I gagged when I had my last cigarette. During the 40 years I smoked, every day I worried I would run out of cigarettes and wouldn't be able to light up every hour. Every time I woke up, I carried the pack of cigarettes and a lighter wherever I went. While at home I carried the ashtray with me at all times. Every time I had a meeting at work that lasted more than an hour I would start getting antsy and couldn't wait until it was over so I could go outside to puff away.
About a month and a half ago, I went to the beauty shop and was there for 2 hours. Got in the car, and realized I didn't have the urge to even vape!
Yes, I still make sure my little tank is filled and my ego battery is fully charged when I go out (not comfortable carrying my Provari with my tank out in public yet). When I'm home I vape all the time (why not?). When I go out to dinner, I vape after dinner outside like I used to when I smoked. Not that my body craves anything, just making sure I keep similar behavior from when I smoked cigarettes so I don't feel deprived and fall off the wagon.
I've vaped 0mg juice without flavoring and I get the same satisfaction as when I vape nic flavored juice. As a matter of fact I like vaping unflavored non-nic juice, I find it refreshing and it helps clear the taste buds.
My favorite part of vaping is being able to blow out a thick cloud of vapor and have it fog up the place without the stench and guilt of destroying myself in the process. I've finally found the set up that works for me, and I'm too much of an independent woman to kowtow to what other people think is good for me. So I will keep on vaping with or without nicotine, although there are health benefits to using nicotine, just as there are to consuming caffeine. It's like everything in life, in moderation.
Good luck to you in your decision, vaping is a very personal choice, just as smoking was.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast

This just reinforces my reluctance to try your experiment...!
toothy.gif

Thanx for the chuckles!
thumbsup.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread