Status
Not open for further replies.

7sixtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
the hinterlands
I'm using a Seigeli Zmax V3... Now I'm pretty good with numbers, and I understand the Voltage/ohms/wattage calculations, so the fact that in Wattage setting I still need to adjust up or down for the same juice in a different atty confuses the .... out of me!!!

Has anyone else experienced this?
Sometimes it's a pretty wide swing.

I've noticed the same thing on my Tesla when switching from a ~2.4ohm clearo to a ~1.5ohm carto. It confuses and frustrates me as well. If I'm having to adjust power down when using a lower resistance topper to avoid a nasty burnt taste, what's the point? May as well just use VV mode...

BigBen2k

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2013
MA, USA

crawler65

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2013
Medford, Oregon, United States
Just add 2 to the resistance of the coil head and start there. So if the head is 2ohms, start at 4 volts and adjust up or down from there according to taste.
I used to always use my Vamo in wattage mode, but I'd still adjust it up and down depending on the juice and my mood.

There is no right or wrong number to vape at (although the above chart and the rule of 2 I just mentioned are good places to start) - it's all about what tastes good to you - and no math is necessary really.

If it tastes burnt, lower it, if it's muted or no vapor, increase it.

I like this method, have been trying this all night, and it puts me in the ball park every time :)

7sixtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
the hinterlands

Thanks much for the link. This also explains why I can take a single, basic hit at 9w with a certain store-bought atty head, (~2.2ohm) in a PT2, (holding down the fire button for ~4 sec), and get good flavor, but if I take a hit, blow it out without releasing the fire button, then immediately take another, it'll have some burnt flavor to it; the coils have gotten too hot by the end of that second one.

So VW really isn't "set it and forget it" when the composition and arrangement of different coils is considered. I'm too new to this to be rebuilding anything yet, but with that in mind I'll just "adjust to taste" when swapping out toppers and understand why it's necessary.

7sixtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
the hinterlands
I only like one juice (how sad is that :() and it tastes good from 6 watts to 9 watts depending on what device it is in and how I feel at the moment. I adjust volts or watts based on the function options of the device it's screwed onto.

With all the variety out there, that is kind of unfortunate.. but better than liking no flavors and having to go to unflavored exclusively, I s'pose.

What's the one you like?

kushka

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2010
Marietta, GA
I only like one juice (how sad is that :() and it tastes good from 6 watts to 9 watts depending on what device it is in and how I feel at the moment. I adjust volts or watts based on the function options of the device it's screwed onto.

I only like one juice also, unflavored. And though I prefer it at 4.8 volts with a 1.5ohm DCT, I do vape it on my old ego at work. At home I vape it at 4.8 and never change the voltage. So, I am not buying a VW device, since why get a variable device when I never vary?

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
With all the variety out there, that is kind of unfortunate.. but better than liking no flavors and having to go to unflavored exclusively, I s'pose.

What's the one you like?

It is unfortunate. I have a whole box of juice samples I don't care for - and this is after I PIF'd a bunch. There are a couple I sort of like, and vape them for variety, but more often than not I vape unflavored. My ADV, which has been for almost a year, is RH Candy Cane from Vixen Vapors.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
I only like one juice also, unflavored. And though I prefer it at 4.8 volts with a 1.5ohm DCT, I do vape it on my old ego at work. At home I vape it at 4.8 and never change the voltage. So, I am not buying a VW device, since why get a variable device when I never vary?

That's a point folks sometimes miss. One of my favorite devices is a bottom-feeder and it's 3.7v. Depending on if I want a warm or cool vape I use different resistance attys.

I like unflavored too! I got into using it while dripping, vaping it between flavors, but I've since come to like it by itself.

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
That's a point folks sometimes miss. One of my favorite devices is a bottom-feeder and it's 3.7v. Depending on if I want a warm or cool vape I use different resistance attys.

I like unflavored too! I got into using it while dripping, vaping it between flavors, but I've since come to like it by itself.
ding ding ding

RedhatPat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2012
Lancaster, Pa

Nothing sad about that. I also have an ADV which makes sense because I smoked the same brand for over 20 years so I'm a creature of habit. When I discovered my first ADV it was one of the happiest moments of my vaping life but it came at a price. I'm talking about an all VG NET from Aienvisions called Bobas Bounty & Gorillas Juice.

Whether you like the taste or not, no one has ever come close to getting such richness and complexity out of a VG-only NET before /in my opinion/ downsides were availability and the toll it took on your delivery devices. Bobas pretty much demands direct dripping juice to coil because something in this juice doesn't vaporize completely and gunks up fast.

If you're a Bobaholic then that means more attys and cartos, or heads if you're into clearos. Plus I found myself chain-vaping a lot. Right now it's fair to say my new ADV is Banana Fosters Coffee (no cream) from Ms T's Bakery. Why the switch? The vendor offered 30mg nicotine option not 24mg. I now find myself vaping less. My juice todo list is trying juices from vendors who offer higher nicotine juices and WTAs because a lil birdie told me to investigate WTAs instead of increasing your nicotine content.

RHP

Last edited:

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
Thanks much for the link. This also explains why I can take a single, basic hit at 9w with a certain store-bought atty head, (~2.2ohm) in a PT2, (holding down the fire button for ~4 sec), and get good flavor, but if I take a hit, blow it out without releasing the fire button, then immediately take another, it'll have some burnt flavor to it; the coils have gotten too hot by the end of that second one.

So VW really isn't "set it and forget it" when the composition and arrangement of different coils is considered. I'm too new to this to be rebuilding anything yet, but with that in mind I'll just "adjust to taste" when swapping out toppers and understand why it's necessary.

It's an interesting link.
As for hitting, blowing it out and then hitting again, that could be solved by better wicking. It's not necessarily because the coil got too hot.

For example, with my VMOD, so long as I have a reasonable amount of juice in the atty, I can keep my finger down on the fire button and pull several times and it doesn't give me a burnt hit one.

I just tried it, I got 5 good pulls, exhaling through the nose while pulling in another hit with no issues what so ever*

* did I say no issues? well my eyes are watering and I think I need a lie down, but you get the idea.

Not saying that coil heat cannot be discounted, but most burnt or dry hits can be avoided by better wicking.

RedhatPat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2012
Lancaster, Pa
So I had some VV devices, and some mechs, and then I got a Vamo, my 1st VW mod. VW was terrific, but then I had to do the math when I took an atty off of the Vamo and put it on a VV only device. Now I'm just using the VV on my Vamo so I know my volts all the time LOL! Numbers are hard, numbers are stupid hard :p
Am I the dummy that has done this?:oops:

You should have bought an iTaste SVD from Innokin instead of that Vamo because it does VV/VW. I have this page bookmarked on my iPad it helps speed up the math. I have a bad memory to boot.

I knew I shouldn't have smoked that stuff back in high school :facepalm:

RHP

Last edited:

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
What did I win?

33460650.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.