Status
Not open for further replies.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
No problem with the ads. Just let us close them. :)

I agree the whole being unable to close them is irritating most of all..

But on the other hand I pay for an ad free experience on this forum. And these contests have turned into a great big ad that's not only an ad, but it's also ruining my ability to even participate on the forum while they are running..

This is rather turning into taking my money and making promises you have no intention of keeping - such as ad free.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I agree the whole being unable to close them is irritating most of all..

But on the other hand I pay for an ad free experience on this forum. And these contests have turned into a great big ad that's not only an ad, but it's also ruining my ability to even participate on the forum while they are running..

This is rather turning into taking my money and making promises you have no intention of keeping - such as ad free.
I understand.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Here is my problem with pop up ads: pop ups are the NUMBER ONE source for malware. Since you have to click something to close it, a programmer can program that button as "I accept this download" and you browser will accept that as confirmation and then you are infected. I doubt ECF has malware, but they can still use that click for individual tracking purposes. The only safe way to close a suspicious pop up is using Alt+F4 to close the whole browser. For these reasons, I have been known to boycott sites and companies that employ that tactic for advertising.

Even if not infected with malware (as I said, I don't think ECF is) pop us are still like having a 5 yr old jumping up in your face screaming "HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY", not only is it rude it just pisses me off. It definitely will NEVER get me to buy the selected product, or participate in the giveaway in this case, if anything I would go out of my way to buy a competitor product that I didn't see an ad for.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Here is my problem with pop up ads: pop ups are the NUMBER ONE source for malware. Since you have to click something to close it, a programmer can program that button as "I accept this download" and you browser will accept that as confirmation and then you are infected. I doubt ECF has malware, but they can still use that click for individual tracking purposes. The only safe way to close a suspicious pop up is using Alt+F4 to close the whole browser. For these reasons, I have been known to boycott sites and companies that employ that tactic for advertising.

Even if not infected with malware (as I said, I don't think ECF is) pop us are still like having a 5 yr old jumping up in your face screaming "HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY", not only is it rude it just pisses me off. It definitely will NEVER get me to buy the selected product, or participate in the giveaway in this case, if anything I would go out of my way to buy a competitor product that I didn't see an ad for.
They are obnoxious to the Nth degree.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
They are obnoxious to the Nth degree.

I quit vaping (again) almost 10 full days ago now.

I am staying on ECF because I love everyone here, and even not vaping I figure I can contribute with new vapers.

But honestly, this ad stuff and whatnot, really makes me question why on earth I'm here right now. .

it's just that ridiculous...

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012

I am staying on ECF because I love everyone here, and even not vaping I figure I can contribute with new vapers.

But honestly, this ad stuff and whatnot, really makes me question why on earth I'm here right now. .

You're here because people like me like having you here. :)

• Love
Reactions: Opinionated

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture

This has nothing to do with the thread but a 10 day congrats is in order! :thumbs:

What will you do with all the gear you acquired if you quit for good?
I wondered the same

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
OK, well, maybe this is a case of confirmation bias, but in my mind, I had sort of thought people might like the giveaway popups (I only use them on ECF for giveaways).

Anyway, I realised the error of my ways. The popup I was using was the one that comes with the giveaway software. So, I've moved onto a new system that's far more customisable.

Regarding popups and malware - yes, you should be careful generally, especially on sites you don't know and trust. The ECF popups are all controlled in-house, by me personally and will never contain anything nefarious.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
OK, well, maybe this is a case of confirmation bias, but in my mind, I had sort of thought people might like the giveaway popups (I only use them on ECF for giveaways).

Anyway, I realised the error of my ways. The popup I was using was the one that comes with the giveaway software. So, I've moved onto a new system that's far more customisable.

Regarding popups and malware - yes, you should be careful generally, especially on sites you don't know and trust. The ECF popups are all controlled in-house, by me personally and will never contain anything nefarious.

Much appreciated. I did specifically say that I doubted ECF would have malware, I did want people to know how pop ups in general could be used against them. I still say ECF is the BEST vaping forum out there and that is largely because of you Oliver and how you run things honestly, also because of the many great posters and contributors too. :toast:

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
This has nothing to do with the thread but a 10 day congrats is in order! :thumbs:

What will you do with all the gear you acquired if you quit for good?
I wondered the same

As we all know the level of our addiction, I do plan on keeping a sizeable stash for any future eventualities. you just never know.. my intention is for this to be permanent as I have learned from each past failure and set back, but none of us knows what will happen in a year, two years, or even 5.

So I'm keeping the stash.

Anything that may end up given away will become the property of family, but I'm in the unique position of having an entire family full of vapers ... my son, my husband, two of my sisters-in-law, a couple RL freinds and one brother-in-law is now a former vaper as well (but this is only his first quit attempt so never know what will happen there.)

Although honestly I don't want to give everything away and have nothing for future eventualities and possibilities. .. I really want a decent size stash, which I do already have.. lol

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
I concur, congrats.

Oh and CIHYS? :D

As we all know the level of our addiction, I do plan on keeping a sizeable stash for any future eventualities. you just never know.. my intention is for this to be permanent as I have learned from each past failure and set back, but none of us knows what will happen in a year, two years, or even 5.

So I'm keeping the stash.

Anything that may end up given away will become the property of family, but I'm in the unique position of having an entire family full of vapers ... my son, my husband, two of my sisters-in-law, a couple RL freinds and one brother-in-law is now a former vaper as well (but this is only his first quit attempt so never know what will happen there.)

Although honestly I don't want to give everything away and have nothing for future eventualities and possibilities. .. I really want a decent size stash, which I do already have.. lol

Lol :lol::lol:

I read that back and it really seems I’m begging for gear. Haha.
My stash is fair and I don’t want stuff ;)

I don’t know if you saw a couple of my threads complaining about my skin. Was thinking of giving up and wondered what to do with it.
I’m in the middle of perhaps the conclusive battle and I think I’ve found the magic. I think

Honestly not asking for stuff...

Or am I? o_O

Can you afford to ship it all in one big box to the U.K.??
I’m close to home most days if you need a signature ;)

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Lol :lol::lol:

I read that back and it really seems I’m begging for gear. Haha.
My stash is fair and I don’t want stuff ;)

I don’t know if you saw a couple of my threads complaining about my skin. Was thinking of giving up and wondered what to do with it.
I’m in the middle of perhaps the conclusive battle and I think I’ve found the magic. I think

Honestly not asking for stuff...

Or am I? o_O

Can you afford to ship it all in one big box to the U.K.??
I’m close to home most days if you need a signature ;)

Oh my goodness you've got me laughing so hard I'm now shedding tears.. hahahaha

No, I most certainly didn't think you were begging for anything.. I just answered your question honestly without any thoughts of ulterior motives..

However, since you mentioned you are available should the necessity arise, I will definitely keep you in mind..

Hahaha... but I'm fairly certain my husband, son, and sisters in law will prefer first dibs, my husband most especially. . Lol

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
I was spending more and more time on this fine forum than my others...until this pop up irretation popped up, that is.
This new add will be running for 43 days still. If this isn't stopped, i'll be forced outa here....!

I won't leave and run to another forum
My apologies. I feel a need to correct this....
I should've stated that the other forums are those of my other hobbies...not other vape ones :confused:

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
@Opinionated
I’m glad I made you smile and that you’ll bare me in mind then :)

I had this same discussion with @stols001 and I lost out to her husband as well!
Was I begging for her P3? Not really.
It just happens to be a coincidence.

That’s all it is...

;)

The p3's is all my husband uses/ all he's ever used so my not vaping just means he has more p3's in his vapocalypse stash.. lol..

I'm afraid on those, you'd have to fight him for them. And I'm pretty certain who would win out there.. lol

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
How offensive @Opinionated

I take that to heart. How do you know I’m not a lean mean fighting machine?

All 5’9 and buck 50 of me

Besides. It’ll be cheaper for me to just buy one here rather than fly over. Ha!
;)

I’ll move on after taking this thread well off topic.
Sorry people & congratulations to you opinionated :thumbs:

• Love
Reactions: Opinionated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread