Status
Not open for further replies.

VaporingQueen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2010
Virginia
I have just started DIYing and I have a grasp on it, my only irritation with it is when I measure out the vg. I always do a 80PG/20VG. My Nic is 100%PG.

Anywho, can I premix VG with distilled water, 80 Proof vodka or 151 (i can't get PGA) so when I want to diy it is ready to go? If I can what percentage should I mix?

Nikhil

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2010
Louisville, KY
There is nothing wrong with cutting it in advance, it can make life easier for you if you mix a lot of small batches or if you don't have wide needles. Sometimes it may separate over time so you might want to shake it before you use the mixture. I like my liquid a little thicker with a slightly higher vaporization point so I usually do 9:2 or 5:1 ratio (VG:Water volume).

Most alcohols are just water and ethanol, as long as you avoid flavoring and go for clear stuff and stick to 80 proof or more. This means you can use alcohol and/or distilled water in whatever combination you want to thin the VG.

VaporingQueen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2010
Virginia
There is nothing wrong with cutting it in advance, it can make life easier for you if you mix a lot of small batches or if you don't have wide needles. Sometimes it may separate over time so you might want to shake it before you use the mixture. I like my liquid a little thicker with a slightly higher vaporization point so I usually do 9:2 or 5:1 ratio (VG:Water volume).

Most alcohols are just water and ethanol, as long as you avoid flavoring and go for clear stuff and stick to 80 proof or more. This means you can use alcohol and/or distilled water in whatever combination you want to thin the VG.

Thank you PureVapor, this is what I was looking for :) I have 151 but I noticed that it is colored and was wondering if it had flavor (that I don't want) and No I am not even going to taste it straight to find out :blink: yikes!

I do want to do a lot of small batches so I can try out recipes before mixing big batches that I might not like.

So if I understand correctly I can mix 5 parts VG and 1 part Vodka to thin my VG to a manageable liquid?

I have both vodka and distilled water but if I am thinking about this correctly the vodka will break the VG down better, right? Will I loose any vapor by doing this?

Thanks a bunch for helping me in my learning curve, I know I ask a lot of questions, but I would rather ask then waste money and make bad juice

PS I do have 18g needles, but I prefer to cut the middleman in mixing by using a built in dropper that comes with the amber bottles, I think it keeps things cleaner and easier

Last edited:

Nikhil

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2010
Louisville, KY
The density of ethanol (PGA) is about 20% less than water, so you need a little less of it than you would of water to thin the VG. Thinning is really just lowering the density of the mixture.

Alcohol will impart a little flavor even if you go with PGA, it naturally has its own flavor. It will also add a little TH, so if you don't want any of those other effects you should go with distilled water. It's also cheaper to use water. Whether you dilute 4:1, 5:1, or something strange like 17:4 is up to you and what consistency you like. Thinner liquid in general has a lower vaporization point and will burn fast on hot atties, while thicker liquid would have trouble vaporizing at all at lower wattage (lower voltage/higher resistance).

Personally I find VG annoying even with 18g needles, so I'm getting some 16 and 14's.

VaporingQueen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2010
Virginia
Thank you again PureVapor, This breakdown of the components really helps me understand more:)

I love TH so the using Vodka or 151 would be a plus
Adding flavor maybe a minus.

Think I will try all three in small batches water, vodka and the 151, then make 3 small batches of juice using the same recipe and only changing the VG/Mix component. See what happens to the flavor and TH.

The density of ethanol (PGA) is about 20% less than water, so you need a little less of it than you would of water to thin the VG. Thinning is really just lowering the density of the mixture.

Alcohol will impart a little flavor even if you go with PGA, it naturally has its own flavor. It will also add a little TH, so if you don't want any of those other effects you should go with distilled water. It's also cheaper to use water. Whether you dilute 4:1, 5:1, or something strange like 17:4 is up to you and what consistency you like. Thinner liquid in general has a lower vaporization point and will burn fast on hot atties, while thicker liquid would have trouble vaporizing at all at lower wattage (lower voltage/higher resistance).

Personally I find VG annoying even with 18g needles, so I'm getting some 16 and 14's.

Rocketman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
SouthEastern Louisiana
I tried VG only juice from one of our registered sellers located in Vermont. It was good, but I have cut back on nic level (at 12mg/ml now) and cut higher nic juice. Cheaper for me that way.
I cut my PG juice with VG, VG juice with PG, and sort of come out with 50/50.
I thin with vodka. I use commercial PG juice as a viscosity reference and drip some through a ink-jet refill needle and time it, then thin mine to match. 1.5 minutes per ml through this setup seems to work for me and is repeatable.

Rocket

VaporingQueen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2010
Virginia
If you want to cut with alcohol, I would go ahead. If you want to cut with distilled H2O, my recommendation remains no. I'm an Ex Marine Engineer and organism can and will grow in even distilled H2O after time being exposed to oxygen.

Thanks Switched,
I understand regarding the organism particles that can grow in a short period of time, I don't want this and I will definitely keep this in mind.
VQ

sjohnson

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2009
I premix my base liquid, but reduce the PG by 20% to allow for varying flavor dilution.

For instance, for a 20 mg/ml base I might mix up "100 ml" as follows:

20 ml 100 mg/ml PG-based nicotine liquid
24 ml PG (30 ml minus 20%)
30 ml glycerine
20 ml water/vodka/PGA

I HATE measuring any quantity of glycerine, especially small amounts. So, by making up larger, unflavored bases I mess with glycerine less frequently. When ready to DIY, I add flavor and PG as needed to bring the volume and concentration up to a 20 mg/ml target.

The unflavored base is stored in the freezer, next to my nicotine liquid. Between the cold, the PG and the alcohol (if any) I've pretty well covered biological growth inhibition, yet have a convenient liquid ready for flavor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread