Third version of 601C with manual switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribs

Apr 11, 2012
MA
Hi all,

Seems the popularity of this pipe / discussions about them on ECF has waned, but I had been waiting to buy a pipe for along time.
Thanks to all the awesome folks here, I found out about the non-replaceable carto AND stuck auto switch before I purchased one.

I finally pulled the trigger when I found a US vendor carrying the new 601 with a manual switch (E601 Pipe Kit<br />).

I had been waiting for the problems with the dse601 to be solved, and the manufaturer installing a manual switch solved the last issue (so I thought).

The one issue I have with most of the other pipe vendors out there, is that they don't really make a pipe that looks like the plain, classic pipe (though some are beautiful works of art).
Also, most of the hand/custom made pipes are very hard to get, even now (Romaniac moved to Europe).

In any case, I do regret it, as I have had this pipe for under 2 months, and now I think the circuit board is bad. The manual switch does "blink" the red led, but blinks off right away.

Just trying to start a thread again on these, to:
- ask if anyone knew there was a version 3 of these with a manual (touch) switch?
- see if any of the modders out there were still re-vamping these dse pipes (if they had advice for this particular board / problem)?
- see if any modders could help me fix this pipe (I am happy to pay a fee)?

Thanks
Ribs

Ribs

Apr 11, 2012
MA
I don't know the technical term for it, but it a touch sensitive switch. Like those lamps where you touch any part of the metal and it turns on, know that I mean?

Anyhow, it used to work, but now it just blinks for a fraction of a second, then off. It always blinks on (red led), but off right away.

Once I left it for a week, then it worked for about 10 minutes. I think it might be the electronics that tell it how long you have held the button (the safety, or whatever).

My plan is to ask someone to rip it out, and install a non-crap switch it in. Basically maybe a set of the ego electronics.

As far as switch placement it is actually perfect for me. You grip the bowl, and either your finger or thumb lands right on it.
Other than the switch, I think the rest of the setup is good. The battery compartment is ok, std carto fits right in it (never got the chance to mess around with different resistance and brands to improve it).

Thanks for your reply, I was thinking no one cared about pipes any more!
Ribs

Unhooked

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2012
Michigan USA

Ribs

Apr 11, 2012
MA
Preempting this post to say that none of the following is any kind of complaint against any makers of pipes, or anyone on these forums.

Half the reason I bought this pipe was the cost, the other half is that I like the design.

I want a typical looking pipe. Typical for a 70's dad or something, not a sheep herder, or Dumbledore (at least for my FIRST pipe).
I don't want a tank (though I very much prefer those for performance, ease of use, amount of liquid, etc.), because it makes it look less like a regular pipe. I don't want to push my finger where usually is found tobacco and burning ash.

The closest design to this, from the fantastic beautiful hand-made pipes out there (and I CAN appreciate the beauty and craftsmanship of these), is the Jazz 18350. Though the button is on the top, and it has either a swing arm or round brass cover, it is as close to what I like as I have found in quality pipes.
The price is killer on these, and for the device and service I am sure it is worth it. A few items/options however seem a bit too high. Like the full brass battery cover for $25. How can a small round piece of brass cost that much? Churchwarden mouthpiece for $27.00 seems like it should cost $15 or less for a plastic tube.
Regardless, I was ready to pay once my economy pipe died, but it seems Romaniac has moved to Europe, and pipes are not available in the US for a while.

I have also signed up with Mycroft, to get notified when new pipes are available.

Lastly, "sold out", "sold out", "sold out", "sold out", "sold out", "sold out", "sold out". I am frustrated looking at a page of pictures with this banner plastered across them all. Bums me out.

Anyhow, thanks very much for your responses, still not sure what to do. I will be looking through the "where to buy" thread, so thanks again for that.

Ribs

Unhooked

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2012
Michigan USA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread