Status
Not open for further replies.

mgmrick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
New York
Read through alot of the threads in here in regard to extraction from tobacco...

All I did was cut an inch off of a big cuban cigar I had laying around for a year. Broke it up into pieces and covered it with 100 ml of pg. Soaked it for 15 days then strained it once using a coffee filter.

Wow wow I am pretty amazed. Flavor is so close to a real cuban cigar and th is massive in a good way

It can't get any easier than cold maceration. You don't even have to wait long to sample it. I don't know about cigars but it seems like the possibilities are endless with pipe tobacco. Speaking of which, I just realized I meant to get some Russ' Monthly Blend - Chocolate Covered Espresso Bean in my last Pipes and Cigars order.

I just wish coffee and tea extraction was so easy. Maybe it is easy and I just haven't found the right way yet. I tried a method I found here, 10 seconds in the microwave then maybe 15 minutes in a hot water bath. I wasn't impressed with the results.

mgmrick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
New York
I have some coffee soaking also...so far after 15 days not much flavor. Trying to let it soak longer. That I find is the hardest part....waiting

It can't get any easier than cold maceration. You don't even have to wait long to sample it. I don't know about cigars but it seems like the possibilities are endless with pipe tobacco. Speaking of which, I just realized I meant to get some Russ' Monthly Blend - Chocolate Covered Espresso Bean in my last Pipes and Cigars order.

I just wish coffee and tea extraction was so easy. Maybe it is easy and I just haven't found the right way yet. I tried a method I found here, 10 seconds in the microwave then maybe 15 minutes in a hot water bath. I wasn't impressed with the results.

mgmrick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
New York
Unfiltered.jpg

Twenty days of soaking... had to test....lol

Unfiltered just drew a small amount of the top.

Very good happy with the results so far

I found coffee extracts need a fair amount of heat.... 170 - 190 to bring out the flavor.... lower temps seem to be weak or "muddy" tasting

Yeah, I just need to experiment with it more. I'll try higher temperatures. Thanks. I was just disappointed by the results so far. I'm surprised there's not more information on this.

My coffee still soaking trying to hold out for 30 days

If you're just soaking coffee it will just taste like coffee beans. Actually, with both methods I tried, those are the results I got. The method I mentioned above was discussed here, post 35: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/239733-coffee-flavor-4.html Maybe the method just needs tweaking.

mgmrick, if you want to sample along the way, you can filter with a cotton ball in a syringe. Better yet if you get these filter papers: Ahlstrom 6010-1250 Qualitative Filter Paper, 2.5 Micron, Medium Flow, Grade 601, 12cm Diameter (Pack of 100): Science Lab Qualitative Filter Paper: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific For small amounts I just tear off a piece and push it into a syringe. If there's one thing I am not it is patient. I just started Peter Stokkebye Highland Whiskey last week. I can't wait to try that.

mgmrick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
New York
Yes I have tried the cotton ball in syringe that seems to work well.

Yeah, I just need to experiment with it more. I'll try higher temperatures. Thanks. I was just disappointed by the results so far. I'm surprised there's not more information on this.

If you're just soaking coffee it will just taste like coffee beans. Actually, with both methods I tried, those are the results I got. The method I mentioned above was discussed here, post 35: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/239733-coffee-flavor-4.html Maybe the method just needs tweaking.

mgmrick, if you want to sample along the way, you can filter with a cotton ball in a syringe. Better yet if you get these filter papers: Ahlstrom 6010-1250 Qualitative Filter Paper, 2.5 Micron, Medium Flow, Grade 601, 12cm Diameter (Pack of 100): Science Lab Qualitative Filter Paper: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific For small amounts I just tear off a piece and push it into a syringe. If there's one thing I am not it is patient. I just started Peter Stokkebye Highland Whiskey last week. I can't wait to try that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread