Cold maceration of tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bagazo

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2009
I would try and filter it down some more and then let it sit as per ian's recommendation, you might be surprised in a couple months.
Honestly if the first few hits taste OK then I don't think it's the tobacco or lack of steeping time.

I'd say it needs better filtering and maybe thinning since even regular e-juice can give a burnt taste from dry hits.

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
My ryo extract tasted horrible after straining,it was bad enough that i almost dumped it,but after sitting for a few months it became rather good.I had the same thing with 5 cigars that i extracted,at first only 2 tasted even close to good,but now after a couple months,they are really good,so give it time and taste again,you may be surprised what more time will do.

I'm getting ready to start my next batch of extracts today.I got some Missouri Meerschaum country gentleman and tatiana night cap cigars,and i am also going to do my first vanilla bean extract as well.

Ian444

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2013
QLD, Australia
Last edited:

molimelight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2013
Columbia, MO
I'm coming up on the 30 day mark on 4 tobacco PG soaks I did for cold maceration and I'm thinking I'll keep it simple and gravity filter, but I wasn't sure about what paper to get and what size funnel. I was thinking about using an unbleached #4 cone style coffee filter for the first filtration and then a 2 micron or so lab filter for the second. I have some of those small #2 "One Cup" cone filters also if that would be better. 1) What size funnel would I need to accommodate the coffee filter and then the lab paper? What size filter would I get to fold into a funnel and fit the funnel? I.E. Is there a formula for taking the diameter of a round filter and use that to calculate the diameter of the folded paper? Just eyeballing it and not applying any math, it looks like the final diameter would be 25%. Is that even close? Sorry. What math skills I had when I left school have faded over time.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
I use a cheap plastic funnel from Walmart that's about 3" in diameter at the top (pretty small). Most are tapered and so should work just fine, smaller filters will just set deeper inside a larger funnel. The important thing is not to overfill the filter whatever its size. I use regular pleated coffee filters to separate the tobacco from solvent and count that as the first filtering pass. The coffee filters are too big for my funnel but still work fine anyway. 2.5 - 3 micron filter paper should be pleat folded into a cone shape before being placed in the funnel, 11cm or larger diameter would be handy. Larger diameter filters are more convenient to use but are also more expensive. To help establish the best price/convenience compromise you can cut different filter diameters from regular notebook paper and even fold them to get a good idea on what diameter you would prefer to use. You can also fill the mock-up filter with water to see the capacity it would provide. Personally I like 15cm filters for gravity filtering but only if the price is reasonable, smaller diameters also work but may not hold all the solvent in one pour.

Reactions: mr pack
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread