This is my first DIY order. Am I forgetting anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2020
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
Thanks for letting me know about those. They look like pretty good quality.
Yeah the ones from that link look decent, I just bought small cheap plastic ones, maybe that's why I failed.
There's a little trick you could apply if you decide to use the funnels- get a bit of thin, not too soft tubing and slide it in the bottle together with funnel. It allows the air to escape from the bottle in case the funnel blocks the entire bottle opening, especially. Any spacer would really work to be honest, doesn't need to be tubing. Didn't really make much difference with the funnels I got, they are simply too small to be used effectively. It would take me forever to get my mixes done- time I don't really want to waste.

Reactions: Redbird11

Redbird11

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2020
Missouri, USA
Yeah the ones from that link look decent, I just bought small cheap plastic ones, maybe that's why I failed.
There's a little trick you could apply if you decide to use the funnels- get a bit of thin, not too soft tubing and slide it in the bottle together with funnel. It allows the air to escape from the bottle in case the funnel blocks the entire bottle opening, especially. Any spacer would really work to be honest, doesn't need to be tubing. Didn't really make much difference with the funnels I got, they are simply too small to be used effectively. It would take me forever to get my mixes done- time I don't really want to waste.
I guess a lot of it determines how big an opening my mixing bottles will have. I know I am getting some with my order but it is hard to tell how big the openings are. I do know that the Nic Base and PG come with the twist top cap that should hopefully help keep messes to a minimum.

Reactions: PeterKay

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2020
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
I guess a lot of it determines how big an opening my mixing bottles will have. I know I am getting some with my order but it is hard to tell how big the openings are. I do know that the Nic Base and PG come with the twist top cap that should hopefully help keep messes to a minimum.
Yeah that should help. Hard to say from the pic but these 60ml bottles look like chubby gorillas, so it should be pretty wide. One thing for certain- you will need way more than 5 bottles :) You could reuse that 50ml bottle with base once it's gone as well, either wash it, or to be fair since it contains no flavoring, you could simply mix new liquid inside. whatever little residue is left won't affect your new liquid much.

One thing- don't wash the double caps in water. Moisture will get trapped inside, no way you will get it out. I ruined a few bottle caps that way. If you get a spare 10ml clear bottle cap with the inner chamber (I don't know how it's called), try rinsing it in water, you will see what I mean. Use cloth with rubbing alcohol on the inside instead to clean juice residue and let it dry.

• Informative

Redbird11

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2020
Missouri, USA
Yeah that should help. Hard to say from the pic but these 60ml bottles look like chubby gorillas, so it should be pretty wide. One thing for certain- you will need way more than 5 bottles :) You could reuse that 50ml bottle with base once it's gone as well, either wash it, or to be fair since it contains no flavoring, you could simply mix new liquid inside. whatever little residue is left won't affect your new liquid much.
Oh I know I would need more bottles. I figured this would get me started and I can buy some more when I make my larger order for flavorings and supplies.

One thing- don't wash the double caps in water. Moisture will get trapped inside, no way you will get it out. I ruined a few bottle caps that way. If you get a spare 10ml clear bottle cap with the inner chamber (I don't know how it's called), try rinsing it in water, you will see what I mean. Use cloth with rubbing alcohol on the inside instead to clean juice residue and let it dry.
Thanks for the heads up. I never would have thought that would be an issue.

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2020
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
Thanks for the heads up. I never would have thought that would be an issue.
Yeah me too. Until the bottles I washed and thought were dry started stinking :D tossed them, black caps so I couldn't see what was going on, only when I washed a few old 10ml bottles to use as testers that had clear caps, and tried to sun dry them, I realised what was going on- condensation on the inside of the cap, and damp smell after less than a day in the sun.

One important thing- let your newly mixed juices steep man. Will save you some initial disappointment. Some of the stuff I mixed only started to taste well after 3-4 weeks. Some after a week. It really depends. Like the cappucino juice I mixed on the 04.06. It still tasted "meh" a week ago, but 3 days ago I popped some into my newly wicked rda and boom- magic happened. 8ml sqonk bottle emtied just today, just can't get enough of it. So don't rely on the newly mixed juices, have some shortfills ready to get you through the waiting game.

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    It's because your doing it wrong :(.

I squeeze my vg in a stream through a yorker cap on a 4 oz. squeeze bottle towards the stem (men might have better control at this ;)). If it does back up, I simply stop and give the funnel a little lift.

I've been doing this for some time, albeit I make 60 mls at most at a time and my ratio is 60/40.

Redbird11

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    May 24, 2020
    Missouri, USA
    Yeah me too. Until the bottles I washed and thought were dry started stinking :D tossed them, black caps so I couldn't see what was going on, only when I washed a few old 10ml bottles to use as testers that had clear caps, and tried to sun dry them, I realised what was going on- condensation on the inside of the cap, and damp smell after less than a day in the sun.

One important thing- let your newly mixed juices steep man. Will save you some initial disappointment. Some of the stuff I mixed only started to taste well after 3-4 weeks. Some after a week. It really depends. Like the cappucino juice I mixed on the 04.06. It still tasted "meh" a week ago, but 3 days ago I popped some into my newly wicked rda and boom- magic happened. 8ml sqonk bottle emtied just today, just can't get enough of it. So don't rely on the newly mixed juices, have some shortfills ready to get you through the waiting game.
    Oh yeah, I know that some juices really need to steep before they are anywhere close to good. I figured especially anything with cream flavorings I would just need to set aside for a while before trying. Good thing I have some plenty of Cloudberry and TBD Liquids to fall back on during the waiting game.

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
    May 1, 2020
    Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
    It's because your doing it wrong :(.

I squeeze my vg in a stream through a yorker cap on a 4 oz. squeeze bottle towards the stem (men might have better control at this ;)). If it does back up, I simply stop and give the funnel a little lift.

I've been doing this for some time, albeit I make 60 mls at most at a time and my ratio is 60/40.
    Maybe you're right. But at this point I can mix juices without any funnels really efficiently, so a bit too late for me to learn how to use them properly :D

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    So it's funny how you want to help someone else (with advice) and end up helping yourself... I really like that scale from LB (a bit overpriced but not really... very nice and has a power supply) Also, I've never tried their flavors (and one-shots... been wanting to) I'm going for it (and to get free shipping ordering $50 worth of stuff) Mostly (even though I could have ordered from Amazon) I want that scale (and keep recommending "Water Malone... it's about time... keep telling others to try it... now I want to try it myself) Also getting "White chocolate peppermint" that that is supposed to be "heavenly". Just need one more flavor to hit $50... open to suggestions.

Redbird11

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    May 24, 2020
    Missouri, USA
    So it's funny how you want to help someone else (with advice) and end up helping yourself... I really like that scale from LB (a bit overpriced but not really... very nice and has a power supply) Also, I've never tried their flavors (and one-shots... been wanting to) I'm going for it (and to get free shipping ordering $50 worth of stuff) Mostly (even though I could have ordered from Amazon) I want that scale (and keep recommending "Water Malone... it's about time... keep telling others to try it... now I want to try it myself) Also getting "White chocolate peppermint" that that is supposed to be "heavenly". Just need one more flavor to hit $50... open to suggestions.
    The flavor that I first heard got really good reviews of theirs is the Vanilla Ice Cream, so that is one that I had included in my order if that helps.

Seiggy

ECF Veteran
    Feb 1, 2012
    Irwin, Pennsylvania
    I have not used funnels but I found something that's out of the box that can be used. The big refill bottles of Dawn dish washing soap has a screw on cap that seems to fit the 1 liter bottles of VG and PG (at least the white LDPE types). The hole reduction or spout seems to work well with VG even filling small 10ml bottles. PG also works but seems to chug a little when you first start to pour. Just tossing this out there. Now go and wash all your dishes !

Redbird11

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    May 24, 2020
    Missouri, USA
    I have not used funnels but I found something that's out of the box that can be used. The big refill bottles of Dawn dish washing soap has a screw on cap that seems to fit the 1 liter bottles of VG and PG (at least the white LDPE types). The hole reduction or spout seems to work well with VG even filling small 10ml bottles. PG also works but seems to chug a little when you first start to pour. Just tossing this out there. Now go and wash all your dishes !
    Now that is an interesting idea. I could see how that might work pretty well.

Redbird11

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    May 24, 2020
    Missouri, USA
    BTW, LB waffle and baker's touch are on "my list" (don't ask... long story) if you like bakery flavors.
    I looked at Baker's Touch but I noticed the cinnamon. That is one flavor I have never been able to vape. Which is funny because I really like desserts with cinnamon in them.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread