Status
Not open for further replies.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
My friend Skeebo reports a common problem we all run into sooner or later…

My Eclipse cap for the Twisted Messes TM24 came in today. I am so disappointed, the drip tip is so loose that it falls off it you tilt it to it's side and it just simply comes off in my lips with no effort. Their drip tip size is also proprietary so I have nothing to fix it. I've looked through all my hundreds of spare part bags for a viable oring, nothing.

Oh well....

No need for that favorite drip tip to be lonely tonight. There is quick and dirty retrofit that'll do.

Common Teflon Plummer's Tape

plumbers-tape.jpg

A couple'a three snug even wraps on the 510 nipple of your drip tip is ample to provide a tight dry and secure seal. Real tight and you'll have to put the rubber gloves to it if you want it out. So tight it'll frustrate the most persistent borrower gremlins if you happen to run into any of those misbegotten critters. No more need for rat traps.

Now some of you might cringe at the thought of using Teflon (see teflon drip tips) but its not a concern with a little care. Just be sure the 510 doesn't stick out bellow the top of the cap inside the atomizer. If it does, use a razor/cutter to trim the teflon back on the tip connector. Moisture will soon penetrate the edge of the seal a bit isolating the tape itself from the warmer vapor stream.

And you're done! Enjoy.

Good luck. :)

Last edited:

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    If the industry ever gets their act together and creates standards, we wouldn't need work a rounds.
    What is so hard about making all holes to receive the tip xxmm dia. by xxmm deep.
    The tip has the shaft at xxmm OD dia. by xxmm long.
    Grooves are cut to xxmm deep, to accept a standard o-ring size...:blink:

Same with the mod and atty 510s...

Maybe we can get the FDA to work on this...:eek:

NealBJr

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 27, 2013
    Lawrenceville, Ga.
    I used some waxed dental floss, too.

That's my solution. Take some waxed flat dental floss, remove the old o-ring, and put one wrap around the grove where the o-ring sits. put the o-ring back on, and it should expand the o-ring just enough to fit snug... Two wraps with floss if needed. Worked like a charm for me, and I am still using the same drip tip 3 years later without having to do any maintenance to the o-ring.

Skeebo

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    May 31, 2014
    If the industry ever gets their act together and creates standards, we wouldn't need work a rounds.
    What is so hard about making all holes to receive the tip xxmm dia. by xxmm deep.
    Grooves are cut to xxmm deep
    , to accept a standard o-ring size...:blink:

My wife says that to me in bed on nights I don't feel like doing anything, she's an engineer.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 27, 2013
    Lawrenceville, Ga.
    Grooves are cut to xxmm deep, to accept a standard o-ring size...:blink:

510 is actually a standard. It uses an M7x.5 tap for 10 threads. it is 7mm wide, but the threads are .5 mm apart, and the 10 threads are the distance. The only thing that standard does not go into play, is how far down the positive center pin is.

...then they'd have to put a warning sign saying "this product contains nicotine" on the package.. that would confuse a lot of new vapers, since they'd be looking for a place to put their nicotine in their drip tip. ;) We all know how the FDA wants to regulate everything. I'm just waiting for the day when someone says they got nicotine poisoning because they were vaping in the car, and the car wasn't properly ventilated. Then we'd all have to have nicotine warning labels on the cars, and the teenagers under 18 would be prohibited from using a mobile vaping devices. After all, it's for the kids... right?

Skeebo

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    May 31, 2014
    I don't know that atty, but I've always been able to adjust drip-tip fit by using different sized o-rings.

In regards to my situation it was the Twisted Messes atty, which uses their own size for drip tips. I looked through about 30 little baggies of spares and couldn't find anything that could do the job. I even tried doubling it up with the spare oring but it was so loose it didn't help. Luckily, Kent over at Twisted Messes was aware of a few having this issue and immediately shipped me out an entire top cap. I used dental floss yesterday and unfortunately it is a clear ultem cap and drip tip. My eyes immediately focus on that white every time I vape.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    I don't know that atty, but I've always been able to adjust drip-tip fit by using different sized o-rings.

True this and dental floss can help in a pinch.

This solution though is for no o-ring drip tips we can't part with. Particularly those customs, 510 or 810.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    These are good suggestions.....

What do I do if a drip tip is too BIG though (to be fair this has only happened once).

I'm thinking whatever the metal version of a potato peeler is. I don't know what that IS though.

Anna

Been there, done that. I've bought expensive metal tips that fit nothing I owned. Talk about frustration. No choice but to take a metal finger file to it and/or microfiber, less aggressive (nail polish files) to try and reduce the connector's o.d. If too rough then or leaky, polish or tape it as above.

CasketWeaver

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 20, 2014
    Decatur, IL 62521
    Been there, done that. I've bought expensive metal tips that fit nothing I owned. Talk about frustration. No choice but to take a metal finger file to it and/or microfiber, less aggressive (nail polish files) to try and reduce the connector's o.d. If too rough then or leaky, polish or tape it as above.

These are good suggestions.....

What do I do if a drip tip is too BIG though (to be fair this has only happened once).

I'm thinking whatever the metal version of a potato peeler is. I don't know what that IS though.

Anna
    I thrown away a couple of old drip tips because of that they got stuck in the top cap I think it was with my Patriot RDA. I had just finished drilling out the air hole making it a little bit larger, putting one of my vape life drip tips in the bad boy got stuck. Sadly that RDA ended up screwing up on me. I'm ENDED up pitching the entire thing with the drip tip still attached to it.

Some of the other drip tips were just delrin, they ended up getting stuck and as I was trying to get them off and out they ended up just breaking. I have a couple of drip tips right now that are ceramic coated they don't fit in any of my 510 based atties. And I refuse to remove the ceramic from them.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    I thrown away a couple of old drip tips because of that they got stuck in the top cap I think it was with my Patriot RDA. I had just finished drilling out the air hole making it a little bit larger, putting one of my vape life drip tips in the bad boy got stuck. Sadly that RDA ended up screwing up on me. I'm ENDED up pitching the entire thing with the drip tip still attached to it.

Some of the other drip tips were just delrin, they ended up getting stuck and as I was trying to get them off and out they ended up just breaking. I have a couple of drip tips right now that are ceramic coated they don't fit in any of my 510 based atties. And I refuse to remove the ceramic from them.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Brotha ya gotta fire proof them atty's…if you're gonna be meltin your drips.

Good luck. ;)

Reactions: stols001
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread