Those interested in being a CMS Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thyestean

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2009
Upstate NY
I don't know about you Don, but I'm starting to miss the old days, when all we had were pen & paper and typewriters. :D

Hello Robert, you are not invisible today, that could be bad news, ya know. :p
If ya start missing it to much Jerry you could always grab yourself one of these keyboards

n3rhgmilr7366u3sm8wfzds.jpg

:D

Whistle_Pig

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2010
Littleton, CO, U.S.
@WP
Macro-11, eh? Hmm. That looks a complicated way of saying
<html>Hello World</html>

...but what do I know?

Well, something in the way of low-level code still has to do the work of implementing the interpretation of HTML tags, and producing 1s and 0s in the correct order. If there were a deadpan smiley, I'd've used it -- was really more of a snark on all these new-fangled high-level gizmos that people use, compared to how we used to get things done in the old days, when we actually did write step-by-step instructions for every step of the process. There are still people doing that, and I sorta wish I were one of them. It was also a reference to how old I must be to have written a bunch of code in assembly language on a PDP. :)

Oh, I have written PHP and Perl too. (But not knit one.)

I don't know about you Don, but I'm starting to miss the old days, when all we had were pen & paper and typewriters. :D

Okay, I'm not THAT old. Well, unless you mean as adults. I learned to type in high school on a manual typewriter.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Robert,
You know, the thing that most annoys me about computers is the way they used the carriage return key for Enter. Never ceases to p... me off, and just because nobody could be bothered to think up a new arrangement.

I remember writing some machine code back in the early 70s, when we had cassette deck tape drives. Huh, anyone who says "good old days" must be mad, it was diabolical. 'Course at least the operating system was fast, in fact since Windows 3.1 it's been going downhill, Windows takes about 6 hours to boot up now, in fact you can't afford to ever turn your machine off, you'd lose a day's work waiting for it to boot.

Hmm, had to get a whinge in somewhere...

Whistle_Pig

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2010
Littleton, CO, U.S.
Ya know, what that steampunk keyboard needs is an actual carriage return lever to actuate the return key press.

I still do think of them as the good old days, because I was employed doing something I really enjoyed, which was the challenge of writing complex programs in 4MB of memory, and have them be efficient enough to crunch through big piles of numbers on a 24 hr. schedule. These days, you just throw more CPU and memory at it. Even embedded systems will have a gig or more of RAM.

JerryRM

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2009
Rhode Island
In the early 70s, I was working in a computer department, that was using a Univac 1200 system, that was antiquated even then. It was a real joy, to see 25 punch cards trashed by the :censored: thing and then have to go over to the punch card machine and make new ones. That happened every day. We had to keep our finger on the "stop" button, or else even more cards would get trashed. :facepalm:

RobertY

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Holy Crap someone that remembers punch cards!! Sad how a calculator watch has more processing power. LOL!

My earliest home PC was one of those where the monitor and everything was together. No HD and ran off 5 1/4" floppies. On each floppy would be a few programs. I thought I was hot stuff using the "My Butler" program to inventory house things and do basic reminders. LOL!

But you are correct. Software then was written very tightly with GOOD coding that worked. Now a days they do throw faster cpu speeds and more ram to cover up poorly written programs that are so bloated that it takes all that and more for the PC not to choke.

Remember the net before www and even pictures? Wow, we zipped along then because there was no glut of things. Just information and lets not forget BBS's. hehehe

Then AOL came along and I think that AOL can be held responsible for changing the face of the net. Oh, and there was that... dern it was Mindsomething that helped.

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
Floppies! Aren't you the young whippersnapper!

My first "PC" was a TRS-80, 4K RAM, cassette drive, on which I taught myself Basic. Then with my Apple IIe, I had it sing songs ... and play Wizardry I, where I had to do the dungeon mapping by hand on graph paper (kinda like playing battleship). Of course, several years earlier, my first course in college was Fortran, using punch cards. Ugh!

Definitely not the good old days (although that singing computer was fun).

[Ya see, I've always loved technology ... as an end-user. I just don't like getting my hands dirty with the hardware. My motto: Let the modders do it!]

Last edited:

Whistle_Pig

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2010
Littleton, CO, U.S.
I keyed in my first program on an 029 keypunch. After, of course, writing it on coding sheets, and being as careful as possible to make few errors, because it was a pain to rekey those cards. That was on an IBM 360. That was also a tech school, and after that we got to use the "Marion" system to do the rest of our work on VDTs. The 4341 at my first job was a nice step up.

FORTRAN might be my favorite language. Wrote lots of it. But that was years ago. Despite the lack of useful things such as pointers, it's still a very powerful and capable language. I suppose if I'd written more C, it'd pull into the top spot.

The old adage was that back in those days, machine time was more expensive than programmer time, so it made sense for programmers to spend time optimizing code. That has, of course, flipped around in spades.

I saw something not too long ago talking about how much faster web servers could be if site code were written in C or C++ instead of PHP or Perl. I'm pretty sure C would beat Java hands down too.

I'm not aware of any CMS written in a compiled language. But maybe we can find a FORTRAN plugin for Joomla ... just for you, Don.

JerryRM

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2009
Rhode Island
Wow, what a bunch of old timers, here. lol. My first home computer was a Texas Instruments 99/4 A, back in 1982, it used a cassette tape for loading programs. Then I upgraded it with an expansion box, so I could connect a 9 pin dot matrix printer and a 5 1/4 inch floppy drive. Does anyone remember how we had to periodically calibrate the floppy drive? Then I upgraded to a Tandy 1000TX, with 640k memory. I was big on DOS back then and only used Windows 3.2 occasionally. Remember the computer magazines with Basic Language programs, that we had to key into the computer? Pretty simple stuff, but it was fun.

Last but not least who remembers the text adventure games, most notably Infocom?

Kobudo

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2010
Evansville, IN
Since most of this lot carnt spel rite* we will probably need Kobudo's proofreading.
* Of course, I know it should be 'canot spell rigth'

Lol, it's not really the spelling so much (though I will be looking for that, as well as comma usage)... it's just that everyone's writing can benefit by running a draft across a fresh set of eyes :)

CatVTTV

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2009
Tyne & Wear, UK
www.cpnewcastle.co.uk
I remember using a computer at work back in '72 to do wages, and then I bought an Acorn Electron, followed by an Amstrad 64...ah the good old days...

I can still hear that monotonous music when playing 'The Mummy' or 'Snapper'....

Don, I too remember sitting for hours, typing 'basic' programs, then scanning it for mistakes when it didnt work ....lol, and all that to make it perform one tiny action that lasted 2 seconds..... ah, the good old days...

JerryRM

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2009
Rhode Island
I remember using a computer at work back in '72 to do wages, and then I bought an Acorn Electron, followed by an Amstrad 64...ah the good old days...

I can still hear that monotonous music when playing 'The Mummy' or 'Snapper'....

Don, I too remember sitting for hours, typing 'basic' programs, then scanning it for mistakes when it didnt work ....lol, and all that to make it perform one tiny action that lasted 2 seconds..... ah, the good old days...

Been there, done that !!! lol.

crashinbrn

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2010
south-east Texas
CRASHINBRN.NET
i believe the CMS is an excellent idea. i myself have steered people here, to no avail, some people just don't like forums. i try to keep current links on my site to the library and assorted sticky's too. just for ease of finding the right info.

i am interested in being an editor for the CMS if you will have me. i just want to help newbies all i can. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread