Those who live in the path of Hurricane Erma

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
A few years ago the powers that be tried to pass a mandatory flood insurance for our county. Thankfully it got shot down. If where I live happened to flood I would be looking out for an Ark filled with animals. It was just one more money grab and thankfully the ones that could stop it, did stop it.

Prayers going out for all the folks in the path of this storm.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
What's funny is that I live in Utah. (4,200ft) When I built out west of town, the bank made me buy flood insurance. :lol:
looks like your bank bought into the money grab. It is just one more price we have to pay to own our own home. Kinda like having to pay for schools even if you've not had a kid in school for 50 years.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
What's funny is that I live in Utah. (4,200ft) When I built out west of town, the bank made me buy flood insurance. [emoji38]

I did fire and water restoration.

I check the flood zone before I pay for inspection or make any commitments.

Email quoted from my current house...

Hi Dan,

Thank you very much for your business, we really appreciate it.

After researching this property, it appears FEMA has the improvements in Zone X, a Low- Risk area for flooding.
Please see the attached information and overlay showing your property in relation to the flood zone.

Most Lenders will not require you to pay mandatory flood insurance on this property, and if you choose to purchase flood insurance, you should be able to get a heavily discounted rate.
If you have been told that this property is in a high risk area and have been paying flood insurance for some time (such as zone AE), please let us know. You can send the attached information to your lender to dispute their flood determination.

We are communicating FEMA’s information, but I am making assumptions on why you requested a second look at your flood risk.
Hopefully the attached information will answer your questions and provide peace of mind, but if you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks again!

-Bryan

Bryan Baumann
ASFPM Certified Floodplain Manager
www.secondlookflood.com

Guns don't kill people, virgins do! -Jim Jeffries

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You know, we live in AZ, and I think we have flood insurance.... We have a wash that runs through our property, LOL. Also, anything built in this area (we have a manufactured home) has to be built something close to 2.5 or 3 feet off the ground. Though, this particular insurance is pretty inexpensive when tacked onto our homeowner's insurance. Currently, the husband is trying to redirect it so it doesn't impede his labyrinth work, OR run down over our septic tank.....

This is my first time living sorta rural and actually I really love it.... No one bothers you for anything, LOL. Our mortgage is ridiculous, the kid should own it when I die (hopefully he can just sell it) and I prefer land to the most "beautiful" home in an HOA, which I've also experienced, and hated.

We almost bought the greatest house ever in Three Points, AZ, for those who know it.... Only it didn't have any reasonable internet options and the kid would've been in the Marana school district. And home hunting further in that area led me to believe that the people in that "town" were every bit as crazy as we thought... A house listed as "furnished" when it was clearly occupied-- fresh bananas, unmade beds? A eerie dirt road that led to a home that was sort of "grand" on the outside, but inside smelled entirely of mildew and death-- WITH an odd, mirror image home parked JUST behind it (we did check, they were technically "on" the other property but it was 10 feet away...) had no siding, just insulation, and there were two what looked like, uh, manufacturers of some sort of illegal products, playing with an anemic looking baby. I was like, "Do you live here?" and they were like, "Yes, we're the kids of the people selling it..." It was the exact same model, only looking about 50 years older. I don't think I'd have enjoyed them as neighbors.... Houses that were uninhabitable.... Houses that had those refillable giant propane tanks and a GIANT WASH right through the road to get to it that was unpaved.... House hunting in Marana (I'm afraid I call that town Morania) is full of surprises, some not so good. My husband and our real estate lady who was tons of fun, apparently went to one where there were all these weird symbols and things to ward off the Evil Eye or Satanism or something. Glad we stayed in South Tucson. Of course, everyone in Tucson is going, "Glad we didn't move to South Tucson..."

It's sometimes comforting to know that there's always someplace to look down on, and always someone looking down on you. :) Also, there are always worse places to live, I'll take the wash and the summer instead of Tornados and Monsoons and whatnot.... Be safe everyone, and I'm still praying for you guys.

Anna

DeAnna2112

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2015
Indiana
"it's law that we have auto insurance"

The law requires having Liability insurance to protect others on the road.
Comprehensive insurance, to cover your own car, is voluntary.

Here in San Antonio, the largest $ item on my auto insurance is for "uninsured motorists".
In other words, I'm paying for the other guy's insurance, often for those here illegally.

true all you have to have in liability, but don't you see it as a liability when the buck falls back on tax payers because folks did not have proper insurance knowing they lived in a flood, hurricane prone area? that liability falls back on the tax payer in the billions. We tax payers are basically the other driver taking a hit with no protection when a storm hits because people did not get proper insurance.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
To be fair, it's really hard in some places to get Flood insurance due to, you know, insurers not wanting to pay for a known hassle. Then, either the state or Feds have to step in. To be honest, in my younger days I was even worse of a driver than I am now, I spent 3 years on MAIF (state-funded auto insurance). It was more than my rent per month. Now, that analogy is tough, because *I* am an individual who sucked so hard at driving, it's not like I had the misfortune to inherit a family home in a floodplain, but let me tell you, if you think state or FEMA flood insurance is a) fantastic or b) cheap, it probably isn't. MAIF wasn't, despite its hefty price tag.

With that said, I was happy to be driving, still. I mended my ways.... No accidents and tickets in forever.

We have to understand that casualites in life affect all of us, be they the unluckily uninsured who gets a health condition, and etc., it may well be a burden to us taxpayers, but I don't like to think of millions losing everything due to lack of compassion, etc. IF global warning is real (I have absolutely zero opinions about that except in RL as I get enough arguing in that arena) then climate change will be impacting us all.

Not everyone is so lucky as to be living in Tucson, where the only danger is stepping outside onto the surface of the sun, or so it sometimes seems.... :):D:D

Thank goodness I am made of hardy Aus convict stock, with a bit of Russian intensity and some German stubbornness thrown in, LOL.

Anna

DeAnna2112

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2015
Indiana
To be fair, it's really hard in some places to get Flood insurance due to, you know, insurers not wanting to pay for a known hassle. Then, either the state or Feds have to step in. To be honest, in my younger days I was even worse of a driver than I am now, I spent 3 years on MAIF (state-funded auto insurance). It was more than my rent per month. Now, that analogy is tough, because *I* am an individual who sucked so hard at driving, it's not like I had the misfortune to inherit a family home in a floodplain, but let me tell you, if you think state or FEMA flood insurance is a) fantastic or b) cheap, it probably isn't. MAIF wasn't, despite its hefty price tag.

With that said, I was happy to be driving, still. I mended my ways.... No accidents and tickets in forever.

We have to understand that casualites in life affect all of us, be they the unluckily uninsured who gets a health condition, and etc., it may well be a burden to us taxpayers, but I don't like to think of millions losing everything due to lack of compassion, etc. IF global warning is real (I have absolutely zero opinions about that except in RL as I get enough arguing in that arena) then climate change will be impacting us all.

Not everyone is so lucky as to be living in Tucson, where the only danger is stepping outside onto the surface of the sun, or so it sometimes seems.... :):D:D

Thank goodness I am made of hardy Aus convict stock, with a bit of Russian intensity and some German stubbornness thrown in, LOL.

Anna

and please understand i have no issue helping those who have done everything they can to help themselves. If those of us are confused i say blame it on the media for not informing us that these areas have no insurance coverage offered to them. But i have yet to see a area of such devastation who did not have people who were covered through insurance.

Reactions: stols001

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Must be miserable being held to the standards of a first world country.

Standards that ensure safety of even the rich from the spread of the disease of poverty to even the wealthy.

I bet welfare is a burden not worth baring as well.

Despite the fact it saves just as many, if not more, middle class and upper class from being exposed to the ails of poverty as it does support the impoverished.

How rude, entitled and insulting! Unbelievable!

Guns don't kill people, virgins do! -Jim Jeffries

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Might be able to drive out soon??

CNN_
    Contraflow operations starts on Georgia highway
    Contraflow operations are starting on Interstate 16 with eastbound lanes from Dublin to Savannah closed, the Georgia Emergency Management & Homeland Security Agency said. Contraflow means all lanes of Interstate 16 will be westbound and the change begins at 8 a.m.

Reactions: stols001
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread