Those who live in the path of Hurricane Erma

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeAnna2112

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2015
Indiana
First off my prayers are with you!! So how are you guys planning on protecting your stock of vaping gear and liquids. If you evacuate what are you going to do with your stock piles, your nic in freezers? I was just curious as i watched the weather channel as this monster barrels toward you guys in it's path. I wouldn't know what to do with my stock pile and would be crapping my pants at the same time with everything else you have to worry about. You can always take your gear with you if you evacuate, but what about all of your diy liquids and nic. Some folks have reported having gallons upon gallons of this stuff.

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    thank you for sharing puffon, but what are you going to do with all that nic, pg vg? that is if you stock piled the way many others have stated. maybe you haven't and your not one of those who has gallons upon gallons. But it's those that have stock piled in such a way i wonder about. If i may ask, what is your situation on stock piling? God bless you and your in my prayers friend!!!
    Thanks for your prayers.
    I'm staying and will be fine where I'm at, maybe power out for awhile.
    People in the Miami area, are the one's I worry about.
    I have 10-1/2 liters of nic that have been thawed every year, for defrosting, the last few years, without issue.
    Worst case, it can all be replaced.

Rule62

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 28, 2011
    Melbourne, Florida
    We're on the east coast of Fl, about half way up. Mid way between Jacksonville and Miami. We have plans to leave, either late Thursday, or Friday morning. We're watching the predicted track closely until then. Our dogs are our main concern. I'm not too worried about the sealed, unopened bottles of nic in the freezer. It should be fine. As far as vape gear, my main focus is on my wood squonkers. I have a few that are one of a kind, and quite valuable. They will all be carefully packed up and going with us. My metal squonkers (REOs) should be fine, if I leave them. About all that can happen to them is they get wet, which isn't a big deal. But I wouldn't want the wood mods to get damaged by water. So, I'll be taking those, my batteries, charger, wicking cotton, and a few bottles of juice.

kross8

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 20, 2016
    stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
    we have not had to bug out (knock on wood) my nic plan is to put all of my nic canning jars in doubled gallon freezer bags and then into dedicated little ice chest,, then tape that thing shut,,,,,,,,seriously taped shut. for us its only about a gallon and a half of nic. my goal is not keeping it cold.. i just dont want any leakage or to risk any water getting near the jars. if i had too,, i would even consider pouring some in stainless steel water bottles and the freezer bags.

we went through hurricane ike and lost everything,, and no electricity for 6 weeks.

anyway,, all of you in the southeast,, hang in there, be safe. dont worry about stuff,, thats what flood insurance is for.

kross8

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 20, 2016
    imho,, a donation to red cross = flushing $ down the drain. they have too much 'overhead',,,, donate to smaller charities that actually focus on repairs.

dont worry about food/water items (worry about baby items_).......every church shows up with water and some baked item,, then govt MRE's,,,,,,,donate to real change charities.

ZCAR1

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 22, 2014
    San Antonio, TX, USA
    "it's law that we have auto insurance"

The law requires having Liability insurance to protect others on the road.
    Comprehensive insurance, to cover your own car, is voluntary.

Here in San Antonio, the largest $ item on my auto insurance is for "uninsured motorists".
    In other words, I'm paying for the other guy's insurance, often for those here illegally.

puffon

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    Short term the nic will be fine un-frozen.
    If we lose power, I'll use that time to de-frost the nic freezer.
    20 charged batteries should give me about 10 days vaping.
    So far the Keys are the only areas being evacuated.
    Looks like around Miami is where it will make landfall, then traverse the east coast.
    Stay safe everyone in it's path.

Rule62

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 28, 2011
    Melbourne, Florida
    One of the cool things about metal REO squonkers. They can survive a complete dunking. In fact, some people put them in the dishwasher, to clean them. Not so with the wood mods, however. They will be packed up, and traveling with me, if we go.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    wind insurance and flood insurance cover the house.. regular insurance is usually not impacted much... its more for fire, theft or accidents.

here in Houston,, 80% of the damaged homes didn't have the right insurance. so people are expected to 'walk away' and let their homes foreclose on if donations dont make it in time to do basic repairs.
    So sad how greed has changed the way banks and insurance companies do business over the decades. Seems like the more humanity evolves, the less successful we become at being human.

kross8

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 20, 2016
    So sad how greed has changed the way banks and insurance companies do business over the decades. Seems like the more humanity evolves, the less successful we become at being human.
    true,, but to be fair,, both insurances are pretty cheap.

i think the biggest problem is people spend too much on their homes. housing prices are too high,,, and then the home becomes a money pit of repairs going forward.

we spent 3 days gutting a huge nice & expensive home in the NASA area for a friend,,,,,,,so glad we never bought a huge house,, you find builder shortcuts when you remove sheetrock. you would swear there was no building code back then.

Last edited:

puffon

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    you always hear about those who did not have flood insurance, yet it's offered through FEMA correct? from what you are telling me?
    In Florida there are no private insurance carriers that will sell you flood insurance, if you are in a "flood plain".
    They only option is the federally backed "National Flood insurance Program" (FEMA), which is on it's way to being broke.
    Hopefully I won't have to make a claim.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I hope everyone stays safe, and yes, apart from enough vaping gear to keep you going during the exodus, any damage done should be covered by your homeowners insurance, so focus on the truly irreplaceable stuff-- your own and families and pets safety. I've never been mandatorily evacuated from anywhere, and I feel very lucky about that. Hurricane season is not being kind this year.

Anna

kross8

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 20, 2016
    Commonly asked questions about disaster aid from FEMA:(from a dif disaster,,use for a guide line)

Q: Who should apply for federal disaster assistance?
    A: Missouri homeowners and renters in disaster-designated counties who sustained damage to their homes, vehicles or personal property as a result of the severe storms and flooding from December 23, 2015 through January 9, 2016 can apply for FEMA grants.

Q: How do I apply?
    A: Residents who were affected can apply for assistance online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov or call 800-621-3362 or (TTY) 800-462-7585, 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. seven days a week. Those who use 711-Relay or Video Relay Services can call 800-621-3362. The application deadline is March 21.

Q: What kinds of FEMA grants are available?
    A: Disaster assistance may include grants to help pay for temporary housing, emergency home repairs, uninsured and underinsured personal property losses and medical, dental and funeral expenses caused by the disaster, along with other serious disaster-related expenses.

Q: What happens after I register?
    A: You will receive a phone call from a FEMA inspector to arrange for a survey of the damages. This will come just days after you register. All FEMA inspectors will have official identification. They do not approve or deny claims or requests; those come after the inspection results are submitted. FEMA inspectors do not ask for money and do not recommend contractors to make repairs.

Q. I’ve already cleaned up and made repairs to my property. Am I still eligible to register with FEMA?
    A. Yes. You may be eligible for reimbursement of your clean-up and repair expenses. Before and after photos of the damaged property can help expedite your application for assistance.

Q: Does my income need to be under a certain dollar amount to qualify for disaster aid?
    A: FEMA’s Housing Assistance program is available, regardless of income, to anyone who suffered damages or losses in disaster-declared counties. However, aid for other losses such as personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses is income-dependent and officials make decisions on a case-by-case basis. To be considered for a grant for these types of losses, the applicant must complete an application for an SBA loan.

Q. I have flood insurance. Should I still register with FEMA?
    A. Yes. But please contact your insurance company first.

Q: Does the Small Business Administration (SBA) offer loans to homeowners and renters?
    A: Yes. The SBA is the primary source of financial assistance following a disaster and provides low-interest disaster loans to homeowners and renters.

Q: Do I have to be turned down by my bank before I can apply for a disaster loan?
    A: No. The SBA has its own criteria for determining each loan applicant’s eligibility.

Q: If I rent an apartment, can I get help to replace my damaged personal property?
    A: Yes. Renters may qualify for a FEMA grant. Renters may also qualify for SBA disaster loans.

Q: Will FEMA pay for all home repairs or contract work?
    A: No. FEMA does not pay to return your home to its pre-disaster condition. FEMA provides grants to qualified homeowners to repair damage not covered by insurance, but these grants may not pay for all the damage. However, an SBA disaster loan may return a home to its pre-disaster condition.

Q: Do I have to repay money I receive for disaster relief?
    A: No. You do not have to repay grant money, however SBA disaster loans must be repaid.

Q: Do I have to be a legal U.S. resident to receive Individual Assistance?
    A: No. If you have a child living at home who is a U.S. citizen or a qualified alien, you may apply for Individual Assistance on that child’s behalf and you may be eligible to receive Individual Assistance. FEMA may provide undocumented, eligible immigrants with short-term, non-cash emergency aid.

Q: How can I check the status of my case?
    A: You may go online to www.DisasterAssistance.gov or call the toll-free FEMA Helpline at 800-621-3362 (FEMA) or (TTY) 1-800-462-7585. If you need face-to-face assistance, visit a Disaster Recovery Center (DRC) or speak with someone from one of FEMA’s Disaster Survivor Assistance (DSA) teams currently going door-to-door in Missouri’s disaster-declared counties. All DRCs are accessible and equipped with tools to accommodate disaster survivors who need disability related communication aids.

mattiem

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    A few years ago the powers that be tried to pass a mandatory flood insurance for our county. Thankfully it got shot down. If where I live happened to flood I would be looking out for an Ark filled with animals. It was just one more money grab and thankfully the ones that could stop it, did stop it.

Prayers going out for all the folks in the path of this storm.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread