Status
Not open for further replies.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I’ve gotten a few - my first coils were pre made, some tanks come with them, and a free sample from AVS. Those that come with tanks I won’t bother with. Tried it, not happy. But the AVS, can’t remember the specs on them right now, were good enough for me. I’ll use them in a pinch. I did okay with those first kanthal ones I bought, but I doubt I’ll finish them off. Prefer the SS.

• Agree
Reactions: Letitia

tdman77

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2019
New Orleans
I like using prebuilt coils just because it is one less step. There are some fly by night companies out there that sell junk but just as many that have great coils. Vandy Vape and GeekVape prebuilt coils are my preferred coils. They always ohm out to what they are suppose to be. Just make sure to get the right coil for your deck.

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
I don't use prebuilt coils, as I don't need to and I don't really like them that much; their performance is always one or several steps below my preferred coils. I am a bit of a hobbyist/occasional coil builder and can make my own advanced coils like staggered fused claptons, staple staggered fused claptons, aliens, framed aliens, stapled helix's, etc..

My all day vape is a flavor chaser's dual coil aliens build that's .11 ohms, using 27g/36g Nichrome 80 at 4.5 wraps and 2.5mm inner diameter, on a single battery mech mod so clearly this isn't for everyone due to battery safety risks and also due to fairly fast DL hits with fairly big clouds that not everyone likes, but this is how I spend most of my vaping time. It's a relatively cool, or moderately warm (wet) vape that suits both fruity juices and bakery/dessert type juices really very superbly, or does so most of them anyway. Nevertheless, I find that some juices only really come to life after I decide to vape them thoroughly warm (and wet) so, for those, I prefer to build and use those other coil types that I mentioned earlier, on a more powerful mod like a series mech mod or paraseries, sometimes PWM.

Evilcon666

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2014
Visalia CA
Have you guys heard of the Johhny 2 Ohmz?

Attachments

• 20190126_191022.jpg
    20190126_191022.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
There are a ton of sellers because they’re so ridiculously easy to make. It’s a business with wildly low entry cost. Brands come and go so fast it’s hard to keep track. They’re basically commodity items though. A single wire coil of a given size and metal type is going to be basically the same across manufacturers. With exotic coils it’s still more or less the same since it appears the method of winding matters little. What matters is the sizes and types of wire used.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
There are many good amateur wire makers these days offering good deals. There are also some that only think they're good. I disagree that it doesn't matter who creates the coils, some perform much better than others which suggests a certain level of skills imo. Haven’t heard of this guy, try to find user comments.

• Agree
Reactions: dripster

F-machine

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2018
Trapped in Asia
I never tried any expensive stuff, all I buy are from geekvape, dual claptons, those little boxes of 0.34 and 0.42 ohm. And when I have the time, I make my own. Both route are pretty cheap, and as long as I don't need to think about coil heads dying on me, I worry not. I don't attend events or even interested in cloud chasing. Anything that keeps me vaping and away from regular analogs, I am good.

Flavor, flavor... That's obviously subjective. I think claptons produce better clouds, but my DIY regular round wires that I either do single or parallel gives better taste. I see old videos of complicated coils and they are fun to watch and nice to look at. But I imagine how long I can make one last for the amount of effort one needs in terms of time to make one, or cash to buy some. So I stay away from expensive braids, zippers, staggered etc. Damn some names I can't even remember, they are just as complicated as they look. LOL Honestly, I don't feel like I am missing out on any other coil types.

Reactions: PodVaper

Evilcon666

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2014
Visalia CA
There are many good amateur wire makers these days offering good deals. There are also some that only think they're good. I disagree that it doesn't matter who creates the coils, some perform much better than others which suggests a certain level of skills imo. Haven’t heard of this guy, try to find user comments.

I've tried googling him lol. Couldn't find anything it keeps directing me to a DC character lol. I think its DC

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I've tried googling him lol. Couldn't find anything it keeps directing me to a DC character lol. I think its DC
Maybe add “ -comic “ to the search. Or add the word “vape” or some such. My GoogleFu is relatively weak though. Someone else may have better parameters to suggest.

P3ch3

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2019
i do try my best making my owns, but also i trust and love Oni coils from asmodus, i do get SS316L 0.25 ohm duals for my mech, since is to hard to find that kinda wire here, started using them on RDA's so long ago, never regret that start,

also i try to roll my own coils with Coilology wire, 3ple core Ni80, sweet, gonna try a lower ohm/Ft wire spool to see if i could reach lower ohms for my single RTa's and RDa's, for dual is amazing, 0.20 ohm or so using 2.5mm jig,

Regards,

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Perhaps I was insufficiently clear in my statement. I’ve tried many different exotic build types, and while the sheer amount of wrap wire does seem to affect things the particular arrangement of those wraps seems to me to have almost no effect. The primary difference between, say a fused Clapton and a stapled alien is the core heating element and how much wire weight is wrapped around it rather than its “claptoness” or “alieness”

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
Perhaps I was insufficiently clear in my statement. I’ve tried many different exotic build types, and while the sheer amount of wrap wire does seem to affect things the particular arrangement of those wraps seems to me to have almost no effect. The primary difference between, say a fused Clapton and a stapled alien is the core heating element and how much wire weight is wrapped around it rather than its “claptoness” or “alieness”
Between fused claptons and 3-core aliens, using something like 27g-28g Ni80 for the cores and 36g-38g Ni80 for the wrap wire, the difference in flavor I get is easily more than 20 percent difference. A pair of handbuilt 28/36 Ni80 fused claptons in an RDA at 80 watts is what I used first when I started vaping, that I upped to 90 watts after ~1 week, and, before my first vaping month was over, I had already built my own pair of staple staggered fused claptons with 25.5g KA1 for the frames, 4ply .5 KA1 ribbon in between, and 36g Ni80 for the wrap wire, that came out to .1 ohm dual coil, and that I was vaping at 140 watts on my Wismec RX300. The flavor upgrade was gargantuan.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Between fused claptons and 3-core aliens, using something like 27g-28g Ni80 for the cores and 36g-38g Ni80 for the wrap wire, the difference in flavor I get is easily more than 20 percent difference. A pair of handbuilt 28/36 Ni80 fused claptons in an RDA at 80 watts is what I used first when I started vaping, that I upped to 90 watts after ~1 week, and, before my first vaping month was over, I had already built my own pair of staple staggered fused claptons with 25.5g KA1 for the frames, 4ply .5 KA1 ribbon in between, and 36g Ni80 for the wrap wire, that came out to .1 ohm dual coil, and that I was vaping at 140 watts on my Wismec RX300. The flavor upgrade was gargantuan.
Well of course. You upped the wattage by nearly double. More electricity = more heat = more juice being evaporated.

Your vaping history is very different than mine.
I’ve vaped many different things. I started on a micro coil fiberglass filled cigalike many many years ago, ( boy howdy did that suck) and moved to cartomizers, then to MTL RBAs , then to DL RBAs where I messed around with exotic coils, and now I vape DL or MTL interchangeably depending on what the nearest mod happens to be rigged with. I’ve never really vaped much at super high wattages like you do, so it’s possible that in the 100+ watt range differences may begin to appear. I assure you though that at the lower watts I vape at (I’ve never vaped above 80w iirc. On purpose anyway) any difference is imperceptible to me.

Last edited:

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
Well of course. You upped the wattage by nearly double. More electricity = more heat = more juice being evaporated.

Your vaping history is very different than mine.
I’ve vaped many different things. I started on a micro coil fiberglass filled cigalike many many years ago, ( boy howdy did that suck) and moved to cartomizers, then to MTL RBAs , then to DL RBAs where I messed around with exotic coils, and now I vape DL or MTL interchangeably depending on what the nearest mod happens to be rigged with. I’ve never really vaped much at super high wattages like you do, so it’s possible that in the 100+ watt range differences may begin to appear. I assure you though that at the lower watts I vape at (I’ve never vaped above 80w iirc. On purpose anyway) any difference is imperceptible to me.
No, 140 watts is actually less than 56 percent higher than 90 watts. I'm not just talking about the intensity of the flavor, but especially the flavor depth, the balance between the complex layers and the separation between the various notes in them, and also the being able to truly discern the subtle top notes how they are supposed to, i.e., subtle, yet still distinctive nevertheless, not buried nor undefinable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread