Throat Hit Confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear ppl talk about throat hit, i assumed it was that feeling when you inhale that signals you are "getting something" from the draw.

however, i have a problem with all my juices. they burn my throat and the back of my mouth. it occurred to me that maybe the burning, scratchy sensation is what you guys are referring to as "throat hit" and maybe i just hate it and should switch to only vg blends.

am i right?

Reactions: Esoterica

throatkick

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
FL
Assuming you are brand new to this, what type of e-cig do you have?

Impossible to tell for sure over a message board, but my initial suspicion is that not enough liquid is being atomized. When this happens and you have a 2 piece system, it is not uncommon to also experience a "burning" odor and taste. If it is a 3 piece e-cig you will eventually burn the atomizer pretty soon.

Done properly, the sensation should not differ much from a cigarette. This is the reason why it was so easy for me to quit after 25 years at 3 packs per day.

Again, without the details, this is a "HUNCH" and nothing more.

Last edited:
well, i have been off analogs for over a month now. i own the rn4081 and the des901, but i currently use the riva. the des901 burned my throat so bad, even after direct dripping, that i had to stop using it. the riva is smoother, but still burns. i feel like i put a lot of liquid into the cart, refilling frequently. however, based on you thoughts, throatkick, i just direct dipped a few drops into the riva and then put on a full cart. seems a little better, although still burn-y in y nostrils.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Some juices are harsher than others. The more VG in the mix, the smoother the vapor gets. PG is famous for the ulitmate throat hit. Juices like Dekang TAB, Wyatt Earp, and heavy tobacco flavors containing an alcohol content are known for heavy TH. Cinnamon flavors also have good throat hit.

Throat hit is like the sensation from a stronger tobacco cigarette. It you are having burning throat issues, check your atomizer. Clean it or change to a new one. Make sure the filler in your cart is not being pushed back by the bridge, causing insufficient juice to be fed into the wick and bridge from lack of contact. Try a new cart. Thicker juices can be slow in migrating to the wick and heavy hits can cause starvation of the coil, in which case it gets hotter from lack of saturation.

I'm vaping a 50/50 pg/vg mixture.
i'm going to try the suggestion of mixing a few extra drops of vg into the mix. i would try just vaping vg alone, but unfortunately my nic base is in pg.
since my riva is brand new (yes, the primer is washed out), i am sure this isn't a problem from dirty carts or gunk in the atty.
as for the 901, i could wash that thing in the blood of Christ and it would still taste like burning hair. that one's a throwaway.

thanks to everyone for your advice.

WomanOfHeart

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Colorado
as for the 901, i could wash that thing in the blood of Christ and it would still taste like burning hair. that one's a throwaway.

My apologies, but that's just damned funny and I really needed a laugh right now! Working from home on a Sunday is a love/hate thing for me, especially when I'm dealing with snotty clients who haven't the slightest clue what they're doing...

Since you're vaping 50/50 (I vape the same mix) maybe your atty isn't staying wet enough and that is causing the harshness. Try putting a few drops of juice directly on the atty first and then attach the cart. If you're getting plumes of vapor then you're in business. If there is very little or no vapor, then you should try adjusting the amount of filler in your cart. It might be overstuffed and preventing the juice from getting to the atomizer properly. When I used carts I would just cut the filler in about half and turn it into a "plug." It might take a little finagling, but it works once you get it right and you should be able to vape until the cart runs out of juice.

It could also be that you're still getting used to vaping in general and need to drink more water. Vaping is dehydrating by its very nature, so I always have a glass of water or Kool-Aide with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread