Throat hit too much on Kayfun clone

Status
Not open for further replies.

chebird

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2013
Western Mass
Just wondering, is there something in a build on the kayfun to adjust for less throat hit? Does it have mostly to do with the nic. level in the juice im using?

Build is pretty basic micro coil horizontal with about 45 degree angle to the screws on the deck. 28g kanthal, sterile cotton, have a 1.15 ohm build currently. The coil is etimated 1/16 above the air hole. Thanks for any thoughts.

Blackboar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Upper Marlboro, MD
There a couple things you might try.

1) wrap a 3/32 drill bit size coil and put it in as a chimney or vertical coil. Wick around the coil, not through the coil hole. This opens up the airhole, reducing throat hit.

2) use less nic in your juice (I don't like this option since I feel like 18 mg is right for me at the moment)

3) use a higher VG ratio. I prefer 50/50 blend ratios in my Kayfun

4) vape at a lower wattage/voltage setting. I build my coils to about 1.6 ohms and vape it a 3.9 - 4.1v on my Provari Mini.

Hope one of those ideas help!

gmoney$

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2013
California
2) use less nic in your juice

3) use a higher VG ratio. I prefer 50/50 blend ratios in my Kayfun

These were the answer for me. 9mg on my kayfun hits like 18 on a clearo or carto tank. To to both at the same time, add some VG (USP Vegetable glycerin found in the drug store) to your existing juice.

chebird

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2013
Western Mass
Thanks for the thoughts, I will experiment with those ideas, all of our juices tend to lean on the VG side already, anywhere from 50/50 to 80/20 I do have some pure VG on the shelf as well so that's good.

We have recently inventoried our liquid as we have moved from 18 to 12 and now to 6mg, so all the 18 is gone, we have some 12mg were vaping now (which is what I filled with) but a large order of 6mg from different vendors is sitting, steeping, can't wait to get in to that!

ah64ace

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2013
SC
I saw a post on another thread where a guy had opened the hole in the kayfun drip tip. He said this would reduce the TH. I tried an experiment and just took a few draws without the drip tip at all and it did provide a much smoother hit. I have several drip tips that won't fit on my Russian so I am getting a machinist at work to open my top cap a few thousandths tomorrow so all my drip tips will fit it. There must be something in the drip tip design and the venturi effect it has when you draw on it.

CloudZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Lowering your coil closer to the air hole on the deck will lessen TH.

Really? If this is true, it is really good to know. I have a few bottles of 12mg juice I wanted to use in my KFL clone, but they are brutal on my throat. 6mg is way smoother (obviously) but I do need to vape a bit more to get the nic I need (not complaining :)). I will try lowering my coil the next time I rewick. Thanks for the tip :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread