Ticked Off at Smokingeverywhere.com and...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taelor

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2010
South
I am so mad at whoever sells our information. I got a phone call, on my cell, from a rep at Smokingeverywhere asking me to purchase their "one day only sale" e-cigs. Too sum it up, I told her I did not purchase anything without seeing it and too call me back. Of course that's not the answer she wanted to hear.

At first I thought it may have been from the only place I have ever placed an order, at TW. But, being in a rush, in my car, on the cell, and it's pouring down the rain, I didn't really have time to think about it.

When I got home, I went to their web sight, and I have never been there before today. So how did they get my name and phone number?

I am totally ...... that my personal info was leaked out.

Poeia

Bird Brain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
NYC
Register your phone line at the national Do Not Call registry. You can do it for cell and land lines.

Telemarketers are required to update (scrub) their lists monthly so anyone who calls you 5 weeks after you register is violating the law and you can report him/her.

Exceptions:
Politican (of course. Why would they pass a law that says they can't bug you during dinner for your vote?)
Companies with which you have a prior-existing relationship may call for 1 year (Dell literally called me for 364 days after I bought my last computer from them.)
And I think legitimate charities can call.

syndicate2083

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2010
Massachusetts
Well, I think it's obvious they used some form of data mine, however it wouldn't make much sense for the place you purchased an e-cig from to potentially divert business away by selling your information to other vendors.

That being said. I always register on the do not call list, hate telemarketers.

Good luck!

terrminatted

Feb 7, 2010
U.S.A
Atleast you did your research before buying from Smoking Everywhere. Got mine, took a couple draws from it on the way home. It didn't work, but I thought maybe its because I haven't charged it. I charged it for 8 anxious hours and still nothing. I ordered the Joye510 and i'll consider that 150 dollars a learning lesson. I'm still going to exchange it for a new one, and give it to my mother.

MacDiver

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2010
Morehead City, NC
Register your phone line at the national Do Not Call registry. You can do it for cell and land lines.

Telemarketers are required to update (scrub) their lists monthly so anyone who calls you 5 weeks after you register is violating the law and you can report him/her.

Exceptions:
Politican (of course. Why would they pass a law that says they can't bug you during dinner for your vote?)
Companies with which you have a prior-existing relationship may call for 1 year (Dell literally called me for 364 days after I bought my last computer from them.)
And I think legitimate charities can call.

I have had all my phones, including cells and even my mom's on the registery since day one :p

A timeshare joint called me the other night and I got the number, person that called and the company name and reported them. The claimed I had stayed in one of their resorts but it was a lie.

It's a bigtime fine, like 50K, PER call they make to peeps on the DNC list.

Luv it!

:cool:

quasimod

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Joplin, MO - USA
I would be very surprised if TW or any of the ECF Approved Suppliers were to sell this sort of information. It would be shooting themselves in the foot, twice. First, they would be sending their own business elsewhere for a tiny amount of money. Second, if we ever found out about it, they would be completely trashed on the forums.

You probably received that call the way most people do: an "auto-dialer" type of program. Simple coincidence that you just started vaping.

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
The only way not to get on any of these lists is to never sign up for anything, use a card to pay for anything (store or credit), be on a voters list, be on the census, be on any kind of file, have insurance of any kind, give your address out to anyone.
Data miners get their info from all companies and state departements where info is not restricted (and would not contravene any law by making it public). There are companies that make millions just from selling info on other people (this includes things like the items you buy most frequently at a store, which is logged if you have a store card of any kind, inc the little free 'club' cards for regular shoppers discounts). Other companies compile lists of those types of things.
COmpanies looking to sell things buy up those lists. They will have people who may have once expressed interest in soemthing (but may not have puchased) or have purchased something linked to the product the company selling has to offer. If for example you ever entered a smokers competition to win something (cards in your smokes pack anyone?) they will have your info.
Now dear readers, if you're all nice n paranoid, have a nice day :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread