The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Time for some real knowledge

Discussion in 'The GG' started by imeothanasis, Dec 2, 2012.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. CaptSteve

CaptSteve Airborn ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 20, 2011
    41,000ft at M 0.85
  2. RiverNut

RiverNut Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 1, 2012
    Texas
    This is fantastic! Thank you Capt! It's going to make cleaning so much easier. :toast:

3. imeothanasis

imeothanasis Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Feb 13, 2009
    Athens, Hellas
    Great guide and a really great and inexpensive machine Steve. It makes job very very easy. I didnt manage to get one yet because I always forget to do it!

4. CaptSteve

Nov 20, 2011
    41,000ft at M 0.85
    Imeo it is a great thing to have for us GG heavy users. Hassle free quality cleaning

5. imeothanasis

Feb 13, 2009
    Athens, Hellas
    I know Steve. But to be honest I like to have a more close relationship with my GGTS. I like trying to make it shiny, cleaning its threads, the tubes and all its pieces. I cant do cleaner's job of course but I just like to make it shiny by myself. Thats not the reason that I dont buy the cleaner, I am just saying that cleaning procedure is a pleasure for me:)

6. Roszam

Roszam Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 10, 2012
    Malta
    Need one... Thank you captain.

7. k3v1n

k3v1n Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 7, 2011
    London, England.
    I can 100% agree with CaptSteve's cleaning method, many months ago I decided to buy an ultra sonic cleaner (funnily mine looks exactly the same) for my growing collection of GG's and have never looked back.

Not only does it keep all my GG's in pristine condition it also save me time.

I also put all new mods in for a dip before I use them, you would be surprised the amount of muck that comes off a brand new device.

With just hot water I even clean the whole rebuildable part from Odysseus and Penelope with wick and wire still attached, a quick dry burn and it's ready to vape within minutes of coming out the cleaner.

8. imeothanasis

Feb 13, 2009
    Athens, Hellas
    I agree kevin, thats why I am always asking my customers to clean their GG when they receive it. They are not in their cleanest contition because even if I clean them with supersounds I still assemble them with hands. And my hands are not very clean while I am assembling them

9. ManniGfaltig

ManniGfaltig Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 26, 2011
    Germany
    What frequency would you say is needed? Most "budget" Ultrasonic cleaner here have 42kHz - is that good enough?

10. CaptSteve

Nov 20, 2011
    41,000ft at M 0.85
    Manni mine is 50 kHz so I guess 42 is not far off

11. k3v1n

k3v1n Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 7, 2011
    London, England.
    42kHz works fine for me.

12. ManniGfaltig

ManniGfaltig Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 26, 2011
    Germany
    Thanks, I might give it a try. I spend some time looking at specs and 50kHz and more devices are quite expensive here (usually professional equipment) but there are plenty of 42kHz devices for a good price around, I gonna sleep a night over it :)

13. Aal_

Aal_ Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 5, 2012
    Greece
    Captain, Does your ultrasonic cleaning method works for penelope/Ody INCLUDING Ceramics?

14. imeothanasis

Feb 13, 2009
    Athens, Hellas
  15. sahsah

sahsah Super Member ECF Veteran

Can you use this method with silver, brass, and copper? Also is there anything I shouldn't be putting in, like insulators or the plastic tank, or anything?

16. CaptSteve

Nov 20, 2011
    41,000ft at M 0.85
    You can put anything in with no problem including plastics

17. Corona Doble

Corona Doble Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 20, 2013
    Paris, France
    Back to the original theme of the post : i'v noticed some variation in level of finition / polishing these last month of a same part/device (i usually order the parts when just launch from e-smoke guru).

While very recently the spider drip, the penelope dripper, short kit, last v2 base, caps and mouthpieces are at their best (my spider drip is absolutely flawless, as is my Penelope #20) among with the first serie of jGG wich had very well softened and polished threads and inside parts, the intermediate serie before the release of the 'upgrade' of the Ithaka had really 'raw' threads, bad or strictly no polished flats (upgrade housing, ithaka ceramic housing, ithaka upper cap, ithaka feeder, jGG sleeve, 2 ithaka collector ggts base, ...), jGG engraved tube with less level of mirror polishing (and micro scuff).

Since last summer i bought 5 Ithakas, 3 penelope, 5 jGG (1 solid), upgrades, drippers, window, caps and caps, rings and rings ;) small panel comparing to the Ishtak appetite ...

My upgrade part arrived unpolished unfinished, the threads (both connecting the base and the mouthpiece) while working well to say the truth were really ugly and sharpened, the bottom was grey with marks and a penelope base had flats on the polish area near the serial number....

Not a big deal, it just allow me to feel free to take the time to polish it myself to bring the finish to the level this brilliantly engineered pieces desserve ;)

I always stay in touch with products from other makers (in fact i buy almost everything wich vape), while i consider mmvapors and nosmoker the only ones able to compete (with a distance, svoemesto) when it comes to think globaly of the 'authenticity' and involvment in the concept / device, the best grain mirror polish encountered by my zeiss x10 lupe v' been :
    Caravela steel
    Nahual
    Mmvapors (poldiac steel, previous DID, tns)
    GP (paps lux tubes)
    GG
    Atmomixani
    The mirror kayfun i own, dingo mod and other stuff less knowned are far from earning the quality of 'mirror' (circle trace of the tool, concave button, flats, micro scuff, etc...). Feeling of the threads is another story ....

All based from my proper constatation, without any ambition to be a general appreciation, of course, jus a fan - a bit maniac - speaking ;)

18. monkkx

monkkx Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 6, 2013
    paris, abu dhabi
    Salut Corona Doble,
    can you give us more details or references on how you polish the threads? I've some parts that need some sharp threads to be a bit soften ;)

19. imeothanasis

Feb 13, 2009
    Athens, Hellas
    I only shine external parts and contacts Corona my friend. If there is no reason, then I dont shine parts. But even if I dont shine those parts, I still shined the base of the new rebuildable part, just because I wanted to do it. But be sure that if you want a product as you say, then the cost would be very big and without a reason too:)

20. Corona Doble

Corona Doble Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 20, 2013
    Paris, France
    Salut, avant de polir il faut unifier les surfaces, brosses en metal puis ébarber pour adoucir les crêtes si elles sont coupantes, metal puis pierre reconsituêe, limes demi rondes, mollo surtout.
    pour les creux j'aime la pâte diamantée sur une surface semi dure , type cuir ou bois. Je me fabrique mes disquesL'ideal est un bon mandrin relié a un moteur qui a du couple, j'ai un vieux Bergeon relie a un entrainement de tour Loch, mais il y a plus simple et moins cher ! Avec une dremel (la version suspendue specifique, commande au pied) c'est déjà pas mal. Apres, la finition, 3 couleurs de pâtes a polir dialux sur du bois, du feutre et finir au cuir.
    Le nettoyage est plus simple, ca s'encrasse moins ou carrement pas et le filetage est plus doux. Prevoir du temps...
    Je posterai des photos
    Bien à toi