Time to buy a new pair, or is there a fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
I have an Aegis Legend mod, I've had it for a year and don't use it a lot apart from when I'm gardening, working on the car or the house's outside.

I'm a Tootle Puffer running 1.6 ohm tanks at 8 watts.

I bought a new pair of batteries when I got this setup and have only used the pair together and charged them at the same time.

The Aegis is now showing one being used more quickly than the other, is there a way to fix this or do I just buy a new pair?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
That may happen althogh the cells are perfectly fine, because chargers don't always charge (multiple cells) at the same rate for the full charge cycle.
It's a lot more interesting whether the cells show different voltages when the mod tells you that they're half drained.

I hope you're not charging the cells inside the mod? That could cause an imbalance as well, because mods suck at balanced charging in almost all cases.

Reactions: ShowMeTwice

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
No I have never charged, and have no intention of ever charging 18650s in any mod via the cable, never mind in the Aegis Legend!

Neither of these two batteries, which have behaved immaculately up to this point, have ever been used separately, nor ever in any other mod either.

I have done everything "By the Book" which is why I am puzzled and have raised the question.

I'll fully charge both batteries and watch out for the half way point.

Thanks!

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Didn't use it all ( 'cos actually it isn't my favourite mod ( too heavy and a soft hitter ) ), though highly rated by many, for say 4 months of the year when I was working on the house in the West of Scotland and thereafter probably only twice a month was it recharged.

When the batteries are charged I'll put them in and look at the Puff Counter.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Didn't use it all ( 'cos actually it isn't my favourite mod ( too heavy and a soft hitter ) ), though highly rated by many, for say 4 months of the year when I was working on the house in the West of Scotland and thereafter probably only twice a month was it recharged.

When the batteries are charged I'll put them in and look at the Puff Counter.

You should have a lot of life left then. Keep an eye on them. If they're not showing any significant issues, you're probably okay.

It's never bad to have more though (said the vaper). :vapor:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Your mod's circuitry could be failing. Try another dual batt mod if you have one (but I suspect you don't) and see what happens.

If you don't have another dual batt mod to compare to your Legend, I guess now is the time to get one (said the vaper).

Falconeer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 27, 2015
    Uncle - were it possible, I'd give your post a Like, Love, Informative, Winner, and Funny - brilliant as aye!

But no, if it's the circuitry it's time to buy two more single battery mods like Grus (es) and get the battery life out of them! ( Shock, Horror, - Stop the Presses - George and Mildred get divorced!!!! )

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Uncle - were it possible, I'd give your post a Like, Love, Informative, Winner, and Funny - brilliant as aye!

But no, if it's the circuitry its time to buy two more single battery mods like Grus (es) and get the battery life out of them!

Or get an aegis Solo or Aegis Max...or one of each, or 2 of each, or...

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Read Mooch's responses in this thread. Might be useful to you...or not. I just came across it and thought it might be.

BTW: If you do ever get an Aegis Solo or Max, I suggest lubing the threads of the battery cap with some very light, non-sticky lubricant because too many people have reported stripping the threads. Could be user error. I dunno.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Thanks for the advice - I supect we are both Old Skool and know how to fit srew threads without wiping them out - that wee click you get turning them anti-clockwise gives you the clue!

I dunno. I've seen too many reporting stripped threads. Part of the problem could be the oring on the battery cap (for water resistance). I don't use my Solos and Maxes right now but when I do I intend to just remove that oring as I don't really need a water resistant mod anyway. I bought them more for their shock and dust resistance, (but ultimately I got them really cheap :laugh:)

Falconeer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 27, 2015
    OK - Seconds Out - Round 2.

Mildred finished 15 mins ahead of George but both are now showing fully charged.

I never look at things like Puff Counters normally, but I have noted for a change what it says, so if it gangs agley again I'll see where.

Now I'm off to see if I can find any wet paint that I can find to watch while it dries!

3.jpg

Last edited:

Falconeer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 27, 2015
    I dunno. I've seen too many reporting stripped threads. Part of the problem could be the oring on the battery cap (for water resistance). I don't use my Solos and Maxes right now but when I do I intend to just remove that oring as I don't really need a water resistant mod anyway. I bought them more for their shock and dust resistance, (but ultimately I got them really cheap :laugh:)

You know, give me my preferences I'd opt for screw threads every time - I have three Kanger Drip boxes, two Grus(es) and two Aspire Something Funnies ( squonkers) - all with screw threads and , touch wood I have never written one off yet .. and they have the advantage that they tighten right down on the battery.

Aluminium, as we aye cry it this side o' The Pond, oxidises* the minute you look at it and I suspect this might be why some folk have problems with it.

* standing by for someone now to pick me up on this term as this board can get a bit picky these days!

Last edited:
    Reactions: ShowMeTwice

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    You know, give me my preferences I'd opt for screw threads every time - I have three Kanger Drip boxes, two Grus(es) and two Aspire Something Funnies ( squonkers) - all with screw threads and , touch wood I have never written one off yet .. and they have the advantage that they tighten right down on the battery.

The only threads I have ever had strip on me were

IPV Mini battery cap - chomed brass
    Istick 20W 510 - brass
    Sigelei 30W Mini 510 - brass

I saved the Sigelei 30W Mini.
    1fv3P0C.jpg

Hawise

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    I have done everything "By the Book" which is why I am puzzled and have raised the question.

There are infinitesimal differences between any two batteries even of the same lot and stored the same, from the beginning. They're so small they often won't show up at first, but they'll affect how the batteries age. After a year of use, even if you take great care that they're treated the same, the differences will usually be amplified to the point you can see or detect them. It's normal aging.

There's no way to fix the difference, but if it's not too big there's no real need to either. A fifteen minute difference in charging time isn't necessarily a serious problem, though I'd rather know the voltage of each battery when they're discharged. If it's something like 0.05 volts a decent mod won't have any trouble balancing them. It is a sign of aging and the discrepancy will continue to increase over time. After a while, or if the difference now is too big, it might be better to split the pair for use in single battery mods and get new ones for dual battery use.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread