Tinkering with the OKL2-T20 20A 110W dc/dc converter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshleeman

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2014
Mailbox waiting
Shoot!!! Well I guess I'm going the raptor way.

There is a few box mods coming out and I believe them to be using the raptor.

Hexohm and one other starts with a p. Makers buying up all the chips >.<

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

HexOhm uses okr-t10. The problem with raptors is like everything else in the vape industry, impossible to get now until July/August. The OKL is in stock in the hundreds.

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
The low voltage detector IC for UVLO is too teeny tiny for me to work with. I ordered 3 different ones and they are all too tiny I can't even mount them on a stripboard as the pins are too close together, so they require a proper PCB to mount on.

I'm doing the next best thing then and installing a low voltage indicator with the OKL2-T20.

I'm using the LTC1440 to monitor batt voltage - it has an ultralow 4uA standby current.

I wired it for a 6.2v low voltage indicator. If the batt's voltage is >6.2v, the red LED does not light. When the batt's voltage is at or less than 6.2v, the red LED lights telling me it's time to charge the batts. The red LED has a sharp 6.2v turn on - no tweens and no dimming.

Here's a link to the datasheet: http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/datasheet/144012fd.pdf

Here's the schematic...
ltc1440-wiring.png

Here's what it looks like breadboarded... the voltage is set at 6.2V on my DC power supply, the red LED lights...
ltc1440-1.jpg

Here's what it looks like with everything tucked under the IC...
ltc1440-2.jpg

Here's the parts list... you could use 1% resistors if you choose, but I used 5% without issue (maybe I was lucky? :laugh:)...
ltc1440-3.jpg

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
The raptor will be in stock by tuesday or wednesday they sent 300 units to digikey or mouser i fergets but yeah they will have em by middle of next week if not already.

Spoke to our rep here.
He was laughing, its considered ancient tech and was a surprise how fast they jumped off the shelf now with their new digital line up(works either analog too). It usually is used for cell phone towers and servers but is a great module..

Nice low voltage unit Mamu..

Last edited:

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
How close are the pins? I used to surface mount ram chips with a iron.

Are they that close?

Also could you use smd led as well?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

You could use whatever parts you want if you have the skills for it and a custom PCB. I just haven't taught myself the skills needed for proper reflow soldering. I understand it's pretty easy using a frying pan or oven.

And this is how tiny it is... pins 1,2,3 are less than a half mm apart... don't drop one, you'll never find it :laugh:
voltdetector.jpg

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
I revised the OKL2-T20 wiring guide to more of a schematic type and already I get a request to bring the old one back lol.

I don't like the huge Hammond cases, so I used my Sam case (2x C battery box - 83mm x 57mm x 30mm) and it's fully loaded with P-FET, fuses, low battery indicator, voltage reader, Keystone contacts, fatdaddyvapes new 510 connector, etc. woot!

The OKR board and wiring would have fit much easier in Sam - Raptor maybe - but with some creative packing and wiring, I got the OKL2 to fit - just barely.

What I've noticed most about this OKL2-T20 is that the batts last forevah between charges!! Much much longer than vaping same voltage, same coil, as with my Raptor and my OKR mods.

After the funky start I got with the breadboarded feedback loop, it's turned out to be quite a champ in the vape dept.

This is called space management :laugh: ...
sam-okl-1.jpg

I sanded then swirlified the case using a 1" mandrel and scotch brite pads on the drill press...
sam-okl-2.jpg

More hand friendly for me than the big Hammond cases...
sam-okl-3.jpg

sam-okl-4.jpg

Hardemyr

Verified Member
Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
I revised the OKL2-T20 wiring guide to more of a schematic type and already I get a request to bring the old one back lol.

I don't like the huge Hammond cases, so I used my Sam case (2x C battery box - 83mm x 57mm x 30mm) and it's fully loaded with P-FET, fuses, low battery indicator, voltage reader, Keystone contacts, fatdaddyvapes new 510 connector, etc. woot!

The OKR board and wiring would have fit much easier in Sam - Raptor maybe - but with some creative packing and wiring, I got the OKL2 to fit - just barely.

What I've noticed most about this OKL2-T20 is that the batts last forevah between charges!! Much much longer than vaping same voltage, same coil, as with my Raptor and my OKR mods.

After the funky start I got with the breadboarded feedback loop, it's turned out to be quite a champ in the vape dept.

This is called space management :laugh: ...
sam-okl-1.jpg

I sanded then swirlified the case using a 1" mandrel and scotch brite pads on the drill press...
sam-okl-2.jpg

More hand friendly for me than the big Hammond cases...
sam-okl-3.jpg

sam-okl-4.jpg

I been thinking.. Are you mamu the same person as steeljan?

salamastre

Jul 4, 2013
S.F., CA, USA
Any reason you went with the N version instead of the P version?

Unsurprisingly, after your tutorial all the N versions are sold out, but there are plenty of the P version available.

I am thinking of playing with the positive logic one, tying the ON pin to ground and using a rated switch in Vin.

Is this a sure way to ruin the board and set my house on fire?

P.S. Thanks for your tutorials. I spent years in Electrical Engineering school, but have spent my professional life doing easier more lucrative things and forgetting everything I learned. You are the first person to motivate me to get out my books and soldering irons in 15 years.

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
This has become a bit frustrating for me. I was asked to do a schematic version of the wiring for this converter. I thought well ok I hadn't done that before but sounded like a good idea and I can take the time to do that if that's what people want, but I'm receiving more and more requests to bring back the picture wiring guide.

So I brought back the picture wiring guide. For those who wanted the schematic wiring guide it is here... OKL2-T20 wiring guide

I've already spent way too much time on this, so this is final.

AfterI

Jun 8, 2014
Watermelon
Hey there Mamu! I have been following your posts since forever and I just want to ask you if you recommend me building this type of box mod it's the only chip that can be shipped on time to me haha and is it possible to have a charger in-built?

EDIT: Ordering the parts now, I would appreciate it a lot if you checked out my thread and told me if my parts are correct. I'm really stressed right now and I don't want to get it wrong. haha.

Big thank you from a big fan!

Last edited:

jmhenckel81

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2014
Athens, MI
I just want to say thank you for documenting and sharing your work Mamu. Seeing all these awesome mods inspired me to start building my own. I started out with the okr-t/10 and have made 6 so far. I can't wait to get to building this one when I have the time. I already have had the parts for it in my workshop for a while, just no free time to actually build it.

Last edited:

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
I'm working on a low volt cutoff for this converter and am testing it now. If it's good to go, I'll post the diagram.

Hey there Mamu! I have been following your posts since forever and I just want to ask you if you recommend me building this type of box mod it's the only chip that can be shipped on time to me haha and is it possible to have a charger in-built?

EDIT: Ordering the parts now, I would appreciate it a lot if you checked out my thread and told me if my parts are correct. I'm really stressed right now and I don't want to get it wrong. haha.

Big thank you from a big fan!

Welcome, AfterI. There is possibility for USB charging, but it is complicated and complex to wire it. It's not something I have attempted.

Woot registered and drooling, lots of shiny things

Thanks for the ucandoit' drawing again.

Strange brain of visus still works a bit, lol and now I prefer the schematic, so thanks for that along with the ucandoit' popular drawing syle awesome thrown in too...

Welcome, Visus. lol me too I prefer schematics nowadays, but did prefer picture wiring when I first started modding.

I just want to say thank you for documenting and sharing your work Mamu. Seeing all these awesome mods inspired me to start building my own. I started out with the okr-t/10 and have made 6 so far. I can't wait to get to building this one when I have the time. I already have had the parts for it in my workshop for a while, just no free time to actually build it.

Welcome, jm. This converter has turned into quite the vaping beast, you'll really like it.

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
I've been working on the LVC (low volt cutoff) circuit for the OKL2-T20 off and on these last couple of weeks and finally got my ducks in a row with it. I was getting forgetful of paying attention to the low volt LED indicator I had installed with my OKL2 mod and thought I ought to get this done and installed in my mod before I trash my batts. <eek> lol

okl2-t20-wiring-lvc.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread