To mesh or not to mesh ?! Is the hype real ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruben41771

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2019
South Africa, Cape Town
Hi guys and girls

I am looking to get a new setup and i was wondering about mesh in rda's, is there anyone who has been using maybe a dual coil clapton setup and moved to mesh, what was your experience moving over ? Was the flavor maybe better, a better ramp up time or any thing along those lines.

I have a drag 2 with a zeus x rta and my nord so it just make sense to get a dripper next to play with, plain dripping or squonk is something i still need to decide on but first want to get the mesh vs dual clapton out of the way before looking at a mod.

Wont be my all day setup i love my zeus x to much ( when it's not flooding ) so only to use to try a new flavor or try my diy juice, bit of a pain to try a new juice on a rta.

Dont want to turns this in a this is better than that argument, would just like to get some info from you guys that tried both.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I've only tried one mesh coil (I am a MTL vaper) but I enjoy it. If you get the right tank and coil for the type of vape you need, I think you could have a fairly good time with it.

I am not the person to ask what, because I really don't have much experience with DL at all. You will get mixed reviews on different tanks and coils probably, but I'd say overall mesh is worth a try.

Just my two cents.

Anna

PS it is good, it isn't the be all and end all. It's a different kind of vape but I did not rush out to buy all mesh tanks either.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Ramp up time on a regulated device is based on the mass of the coil and how much power we choose to pump into it. There are other factors involved but for simplicity sake, the more mass a coil has, the more power is required to reach a desired temperature within a timely manner. Mesh coils, or better put strips, are of low mass, therefore a low ramp up. However, that does not mean they are always quicker. 150 watts into a Clapton type coil could be quicker than 40 watts into a mesh strip. Given there are so many different variables in how much mass a coil has, the type of metal is used and how much power we choose to deliver there is no definite answer.

Flavour is very subjective and not strictly based on the type of coil one uses for proper airflow can also be a big contributor. I thoroughly enjoy the flavour mesh gives, but wouldn't say it is better than a typical coil, just different. That difference must have value to an end user – some enjoy it, some do not. Best suggestion is to try for yourself and draw your own conclusions.

Last edited:

Ruben41771

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2019
South Africa, Cape Town
Ramp up time on a regulated device is based on the mass of the coil and how much power we choose to pump into it. There are other factors involved but for simplicity sake, the more mass a coil has, the more power is required to reach a desired temperature within a timely manner. Mesh coils, or better put strips, are of low mass, therefore a low ramp up. However, that does not mean they are always quicker. 150 watts into a Clapton type coil could be quicker than 40 watts into a mesh strip. Given there are so many different variables in how much mass a coil has, the type of metal is used and how much power we choose to deliver there is no definite answer.

Flavour is very subjective and not strictly based on the type of coil one uses for proper airflow can also be a big contributor. I thoroughly enjoy the flavour mesh gives, but would say it is better than a typical coil, just different. That difference must have value to an end user – some enjoy it, some do not. Best suggestion is to try for yourself and draw your own conclusions.
Thanks for the info, i just vape at about 50w but i hear you on the coil mass, i just used ramp up to add some options.
Problem with trying is i don't know any one who vapes on the high end, for me it's buy and find out .. Shops here wont let you try anything out, they tell you sure you can try it after you buy it :(
The answer i am actually after is does mesh offer a lot more or is a dual coil setup just fine.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Dude vaping is so subjective no one can answer that for you. I can tell you a drop in coil tank is probably going to me easier to DEAL with than a dual coil RTA. But better? I have no clue.

If you are happy with your current vape though, why not order from overseas, enjoy your RTA for now, and offset your cost a bit? It's just a thought.

I don't find mesh better necessarily just different. It's gonna be really hard to say. Some ARE real juice drinkers, if that matters.

I say it's never a BAD time to buy new gear but I helped create the shinyitis thread so.... You can also feel free to ignore my advice.

Anna

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Thanks for the info, i just vape at about 50w but i hear you on the coil mass, i just used ramp up to add some options.
Problem with trying is i don't know any one who vapes on the high end, for me it's buy and find out .. Shops here wont let you try anything out, they tell you sure you can try it after you buy it :(
The answer i am actually after is does mesh offer a lot more or is a dual coil setup just fine.

You are no different than many of us. I was very skeptical about trying the Wotofo Profile, but decided to take the gamble and so glad that I did. Owning 7 of them now, It has become my most preferred RDA, BUT…that could change with my next atomizer purchase. We never know until we try

With the Profile, 50 to 60 watts is, on average the sweet spot for both the Wotofo and OFRF mesh strips. Some enjoy using it lower (I’ve seen like 30 watts), some higher.

Ruben41771

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2019
South Africa, Cape Town
Dude vaping is so subjective no one can answer that for you. I can tell you a drop in coil tank is probably going to me easier to DEAL with than a dual coil RTA. But better? I have no clue.

If you are happy with your current vape though, why not order from overseas, enjoy your RTA for now, and offset your cost a bit? It's just a thought.

I don't find mesh better necessarily just different. It's gonna be really hard to say. Some ARE real juice drinkers, if that matters.

I say it's never a BAD time to buy new gear but I helped create the shinyitis thread so.... You can also feel free to ignore my advice.

Anna
Hmm ok coming down a bit hard but will look at the shinyitis thread thanks.
And don't think i understand from the ordering from overseas part

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
It all boils down to preference really. For me I have no use for mesh and I don't care for it. I have only 1 mesh RDA. I'm more of a cloud chaser. I DIY ejuice so flavor is never a problem. 1 advantage a mesh RDA has is that if you don't like mesh you can use a big single coil in most of them. Good luck.

Ruben41771

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2019
South Africa, Cape Town
It all boils down to preference really. For me I have no use for mesh and I don't care for it. I have only 1 mesh RDA. I'm more of a cloud chaser. I DIY ejuice so flavor is never a problem. 1 advantage a mesh RDA has is that if you don't like mesh you can use a big single coil in most of them. Good luck.
Thanks, yea did read up on the mesh and like most have said it is personal preference, have never owned a rda so just want to buy once and be done with it. But yeah like you said if i don't like the mesh i can just run a single coil :)

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Do you build your own coils? Personally I wouldn't recommend a mesh RDA for a first RDA. Mesh RDAs have their quirks. For a first RDA I would recommend something like the Drop. Take that for what it's worth. Many have said mesh RDAs are better for squonking than dripping. I agree with that also. I'm not trying to talk you out of a mesh RDA but there is a learning curve to using one just like any other RDA. Patience is the key.

Ruben41771

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2019
South Africa, Cape Town
Do you build your own coils? Personally I wouldn't recommend a mesh RDA for a first RDA. Mesh RDAs have their quirks. For a first RDA I would recommend something like the Drop. Take that for what it's worth. Many have said mesh RDAs are better for squonking than dripping. I agree with that also. I'm not trying to talk you out of a mesh RDA but there is a learning curve to using one just like any other RDA. Patience is the key.
No don't build my own coils i just buy pre made clapton's or alien's.
I do have some experience with rta's been building with then since the first single zeus so dont mind if i need to learn a little bit :)
That was my idea if i get mesh will go with a squonk then like the pulse 90w, and if i go for a plain coil rda will then just get a normal mod and not squonk.

Ruben41771

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2019
South Africa, Cape Town
You are no different than many of us. I was very skeptical about trying the Wotofo Profile, but decided to take the gamble and so glad that I did. Owning 7 of them now, It has become my most preferred RDA, BUT…that could change with my next atomizer purchase. We never know until we try

With the Profile, 50 to 60 watts is, on average the sweet spot for both the Wotofo and OFRF mesh strips. Some enjoy using it lower (I’ve seen like 30 watts), some higher.
Thanks for your info on this subject :)

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Thanks for your info on this subject :)

NP. And @Don29palms brings another valid point, and too elaborate…

The Profile can be considered a somewhat closed system. You do have a few options in the type of mesh, but the mesh can only be of a specific size and positioned in a specific way. This limits your options from experimenting. Where as a typical coil RDA can allow a wide range of different size, types of coils along with coil positioning.

Mesh is not as forgiving as a coil. It is critical there are no voids between the wick and the mesh for this could lead to hot spots, which leads to dry burns. Dry burns on mesh are f’n brutal! Vaping with Vic referred them to be Satan’s farts (not to be crass). Proper wicking is important but not difficult to achieve – becomes second nature with exposure…there is just less room for error.

If you are interested in getting into RDA’s, there is a vast selection to choose from than can offer a wide range of flexibility. The Profile, although I think is awesome, doesn’t really fall into that flexible category. I think it is both enjoyable and informative to experiment with coils whether you want to make your own Clapton type wire, buy premade spools or even premade coils. Personally, if you are interested in the Profile I say go for it, but also pick up a coil type RDA, the Drop as mentioned is a good candidate. What ever you choose I can guarantee they will not be your last. Experiment and have fun and stay off the cigs!

basilia

Moved On
May 24, 2019
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Spam
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread