To Regulate or not to Regulate, that is the question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnycloud

Oct 4, 2014
Fond du lac, WI
I have used unregulated for awhile now, recently I purchased the segelei 100w and fell in love! Never have to wonder how low the battery is. With a couple pushes of a button you can either go and get the best flavor possible with the build on your rda, or you can go chase them clouds. I still love my unregulated but I fear they are getting lonely as I have used them only a few times since I purchased the sigelei.

vapomike

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2009
Hickory, NC (USA)
I prefer the regulated vape over the unregulated. There's no guess work with a regulated device. You have complete control over the vape and aren't at the mercy of your battery. Also if you go with a high power mod that's 100 or more watts it really opens more building options to you. Right now I have a 24 ga 9 wrap dual coil set up on a doge. It takes forever to ramp up at 4.2v, but I ramp it up to 75 watts or 5.8v and it chucks clouds and flavor. High powered regulated devices really uncap your coils potential. The build that I have right now would suck with a mech, but getting that much power over that kind of surface area provides an awesome vape. I was considering getting a mech mod, but it really limits you to your battery. I'm not referring to amp output just to be clear. You still have to use high output batteries. I'm referring to the gauge wire you can use and number of wraps attainable while not increasing ramp up times. At 75 watts this build is an instant hit and I can easily vape it at 100 watts. But at 100 watts I cringe at the juice consumption.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
When I wanted to go higher power with my vape a couple of years ago mechanical mods were the only game in town. I got used to them and am now very comfortable with them. My favorite vape is also a bottom fed Reo Grand which is a mech mod.

If I were starting with higher power vaping today I would go with a high voltage regulated mod at around 100 watts. I vape at 25-40 watts regularly and like to be able to go to around 70 watts occasionally. The versatility of these systems is just too good to ignore. The added safety is nice too :)

PhreakySTS9

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2011
Shayol Ghul, The Great Blight
Since I had a house fire in January 2013 and lost all my gear the only PV I've bought since then is my GGTS with a stealth cap and I have a Penelope (only thing that survived the fire), an Igo-L and an RSST I've never used. Now that they have these crazy 100 watt PVs I really want to get one. I think once I do my GGTS will definitely go on the backburner only for home use. I mean the main reason mech mods took off the way they did was they just hit soooo much harder than a VV/VW device did, which is now a moot point.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I bought my first mech because I wanted something without electronics or wiring that could fail. I've gotten more because I like them, they look good, though I have to admit a regulated box sounds good too. I'd just be worried about it becoming an expensive paperweight like my old regulated tubes.

I almost got a mechanical, but with the quality regulated devices coming out lately I stayed regulated. Some of the cheaper regulated devices suck and I learned that the hard way. My SVD lasted about 6 months and my Tesla made it about 5 months. Only time will tell with this rDNA and my soon to arrive SX Mini, but I have high hopes and the reviews have been great so far.

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
i used regulated so i dont have to use an ohmchecker. the regulated mods i have also prevent many mishaps, with short protection and whatnot. more safety features and more information while vaping in one mechanism, rather than having to fiddle with coils/ ohm meters/ etc. most of the time the coils can change ohm while vaping/heating and it also shows that. tbh i dont see any benefits from unregulated mods anymore other than it having no electronics to .... up and being more of a workhorse that works even if u drop it and bang it around. theres just more perks and QOL stuff in a regulated mod imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread