To the confused beginners. My input after nearly a month on vaping. ($100 solution)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiryo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
SoCal
This doesn't appear to have gone off topic at all (except your last post LOL). This is a normal thread progression and discussion, and is incredibly ON topic. You can't create a thread and figure no one will chime in with their own thoughts and experiences on the topic in the OP.

If you think this turned into a 'huge' debate and went way off topic, you must be very new to forum discussions. LOL

I didn't say I had a problem with the direction the thread has gone. I still stand by the Volt as the best on the go PV.

Pros:
- It works and works well.
- Regulated voltage, performance never dwindles with use.
- Very discreet.
- Ease of carry.
- Looks good and helps educate the public.
- Ability to charge via compact PCCs
- Only 2 pieces.
- Cartos will last you a couple days.

Cons:
- Short battery life.
- Parts availability in local shops.

The pros outweigh the cons. I really don't mean to sound biased, but there is a reason why I got the volt and it was to be discreet and still get my nicotine high without the added poisons. Had this been a general car forum and I said that a BMW was the end all, save all, hands down best car and bang for the buck, than I would understand that the thread would be very misleading to people and is just a marketing scheme. (BMWs are trash by the way, never get one.)

As far as forum usage. I've participated in forums for 11 years and was a moderator in two. The subject went from a praise of a good system for those both new and experienced users looking for cig look-a-likes and on the go PVs to something more of a, "You're better off going with <insert PV here> instead."

I am fully aware of other systems, with far better extra functions and capabilities. I'm even getting a LavaTube myself because I want to variate in voltages, try different mods, tanks, atomizers and have a vast selection of parts available when I drop by a local vendor. Does it mean i'm going to stash the Volt back into it's containers and leave them on the top shelf? Of course not. As i've said in every post (minus the last one I posted) it's perfect when you're on the go and/or want to discreet. I'm not comfortable with people staring at me holding a LavaTube in a restaurant and vaping away. It just doesn't look good and will make people think you're using a illicit drug device (you cannot argue that, especially in California). Whereas I welcome people to comment and stare at my friends and I using my Volt.

I don't mind how the thread is going whatsoever. I will note that as another member said. Why displace a product, one that is very reliable and does what it needs to do perfectly, that could and will possibly save lives? I understand if I made a thread about the expensive Blu PVs that do half the job the Volt does at two times the price. Does that make any sense?

Last edited:

Jammin

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2010
Washington DC
I didn't say I had a problem with the direction the thread has gone. I still stand by the Volt as the best on the go PV.

Pros:
- It works and works well.
- Regulated voltage, performance never dwindles with use.
- Very discreet.
- Ease of carry.
- Looks good and helps educate the public.
- Ability to charge via compact PCCs
- Only 2 pieces.

Cons:
- Short battery life.
- Parts availability in local shops.

The pros outweigh the cons. I really don't mean to sound biased, but there is a reason why I got the volt and it was to be discreet and still get my nicotine high without the added poisons. Had this been a general car forum and I said that a BMW was the end all, save all, hands down best car and bang for the buck, than I would understand that the thread would be very misleading to people and is just a marketing scheme. (BMWs are trash by the way, never get one.)

As far as forum usage. I've participated in forums for 11 years and was a moderator in two. The subject went from a praise of a good system for those both new and experienced users looking for cig look-a-likes and on the go PVs to something more of a, "You're better off going with <insert PV here> instead."

I am fully aware of other systems, with far better extra functions and capabilities. I'm even getting a LavaTube myself because I want to variate in voltages, try different mods, tanks, atomizers and have a vast selection of parts available when I drop by a local vendor. Does it mean i'm going to stash the Volt back into it's containers and leave them on the top shelf? Of course not. As i've said in every post (minus the last one I posted) it's perfect when you're on the go and/or want to discreet. I'm not comfortable with people staring at me holding a LavaTube in a restaurant and vaping away. It just doesn't look good and will make people think you're using a illicit drug device (you cannot argue that, especially in California). Whereas I welcome people to comment and stare at my friends and I using my Volt.

I don't mind how the thread is going whatsoever. I will note that as another member said. Why displace a product, one that is very reliable and does what it needs to do perfectly, that could and will possibly save lives? I understand if I made a thread about the expensive Blu PVs that do half the job the Volt does at two times the price. Does that make any sense?

Then I have no clue why you said that a huge debate had ensued and decided to take it off topic posting car pics. We get it you like the Volt. But others are giving their opinions to newbies as well. No one is saying you should not like the volt or give your take on it to newbies. If you've been on forums for a good while, I'm surprised you thought this thread went off topic.

For the record, your first post already spelled out why you liked the Volt. The opposing responses were just others giving their own personal take. You said it went from praise to 'you are better off,etc'...well what were you expecting? That everyone who entered this thread would agree and not give their thoughts on this? That is why i thought maybe you were new to forums.

It's wonderful you like the volt. But this is a newbie forum, and others just want newbies to know that the Volt isn't the only (and IMO not even the best - but again, just my opinion) option. Your OP could have made a confused newbie think the Volt was their only option. If that were me when I first started and I thought the volt were the best thing out there, I would have quit for the sole reason that short batt life was too big of a pain for me. I am sure some other newbies might feel that way also...and they should know there are other fantastic choices with longer batt life should that be a sticking point for them.

Last edited:

Shiryo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
SoCal
Then I have no clue why you said that a huge debate had ensued and decided to take it off topic posting car pics. We get it you like the Volt. But others are giving their opinions to newbies as well. No one is saying you should not like the volt or give your take on it to newbies. If you've been on forums for a good while, I'm surprised you thought this thread went off topic.

For the record, your first post already spelled out why you liked the Volt. The opposing responses were just others giving their own personal take. You said it went from praise to 'you are better off,etc'...well what were you expecting? That everyone who entered this thread would agree and not give their thoughts on this? That is why i thought maybe you were new to forums.

It's wonderful you like the volt. But this is a newbie forum, and others just want newbies to know that the Volt isn't the only (and IMO not even the best - but again, just my opinion) option. Your OP could have made a confused newbie think the Volt was their only option. If that were me when I first started and I thought the volt were the best thing out there, I would have quit for the sole reason that short batt life was too big of a pain for me. I am sure some other newbies might feel that way also...and they should know there are other fantastic choices with longer batt life should that be a sticking point for them.

It is going off-topic when the subject is changed to opinions. Yes, everyone has them. However, as you said, it is a new members area, other opinions on other PVs could be voiced in a new thread. This was going to be one of many (in the future) thread trends of in-depth (even though there's various videos and other threads, etc. and what have you already) reviews and reasons on why a new member would like to pick a certain PV.

But anywho, lets go on with the opinionated thread. The pics of the cars was for someone who asked.

Let's play nice.

Jammin

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2010
Washington DC
It is going off-topic when the subject is changed to opinions. Yes, everyone has them. However, as you said, it is a new members area, other opinions on other PVs could be voiced in a new thread. This was going to be one of many (in the future) thread trends of in-depth (even though there's various videos and other threads, etc. and what have you already) reviews and reasons on why a new member would like to pick a certain PV.

If there were no opinions, forums would cease to exist. LOL Opposing opinions are okay on threads. It isn't a personal attack. :)

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
It's a kr808 from a reliable manufacturer. It performs like a kr808 from a reliable manufacturer. Now, as far as the minis go, I personally like how the kr808 performs better than the 501, but it limits your upgrade path. As far as recommendations for a new vaper, no I wouldn't ever recommend a mini, they would be far better off buying an Ego type of some kind from the beginning. If they insisted on a mini, I would tell them my honest experience, which is that the kr808 performs better than the 501, but in 6 months, when you are upgrading away from the mini you should never have bought, the 501 stuff will probably just screw on to their upgrade with out having to fiddle with an adapter.

All just my opinion of course. Other than my general ambivalence about minis the only problem I see with the review is that telling people that a 220 mAh will last them a minimum of 3 hours is pretty rediculous. I can kill one in an hour and a half easy and have never had one last more than two hours of use. A PCC does help, but the fact that the charge time on these batteries can be shorter than the time it takes to recharge one is something that EVERY new vaper thinking about buying one should consider. You have two batteries and a PCC and you go out somewhere thinking that is going to last you all day, only to find yourself switching batteries in and out of the PCC on shorter and shorter intervals until you are staring at a blinking battery in your hand and looking down at the one you just plugged in to the PCC a few minutes ago. First time this happened to me, it sent me back to smoking cigarettes for weeks. You can never, never, NEVER, be too pessimistic about the abysmal charge time of minis. If you plan on minis lasting you all day, budget for multiple batteries and plan on carrying them all around with you, lots and lots of them.

AMEN BROTHER!! Gawd, that brings back horrible memories. It's how I ended up juggling 6 batteries at once. Before that, I had three at home. Vaping one, one in the PCC and one in the AC/USB charger. And I'd still be cutting it close sometime. Luckily, I pretty much didn't go out anywhere away from an AC outlet until I got the extra 3 to take with me.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA

Pros:

What????? A carto lasts you a couple days?? What did you used to smoke? 2 cigarettes a day?
That's totally unrealistic for anyone to expect 2 days from a single carto, unless you mean they burn out in 2 days.

As for the rest, all I have to say is you've been at this for what? 4 weeks?
Check back with us in another few months and tell us how much you're using that volt.
And tell us about your new PV (not the lavatube) too.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA

But anywho, lets go on with the opinionated thread. The pics of the cars was for someone who asked.

Not so fast, Sport. There's where you're 100% wrong. This isn't your personal blog. Nor is it your car showroom.
It's not the Volt Fanboy forum or even the Volt Vendor's thread.
Even if it were, people would still have the right to voice their opinions not only about the volt, but about your review. That's exactly what we're doing and it is most definitely on topic.

imsoenthused

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2011
Tulsa, OK
You broke open the opinion thing when you called it a solution instead of an option. I will, as a former user, always warn new people away from buying anything smaller than an ego as their first PV. They don't have to listen, but I'll still do it, because unless you were an extremely light smoker, they aren't going to work. I'd rather see people use something that will. I'm sorry if you feel that pointing out the limitations of your precious volt is picking on you. It's doesn't have anything to do with you. It has to do with the fact that the volt is one of the very best solutions, within a very restricted and for most people useless subset of personal vaporizers. Them's the apples, if you don't like the spots, don't eat them.

Shiryo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
SoCal
Okay, so should I go and buy a 510 mini cig, 901, 501, etc. and expect better performance versus the Volt?

I never said that the thread should not have opinion based replies, i'm saying for under $100 and a mini-cig, this automatically put an eGo out of the equation, that this is the best of the lineup of mini cigs. This wasn't a thread, you typically see plastering the New Members topic, asking if I should get a Volt. However simply my personal input on how it works for me, as a previously light-smoker.

If someone wants better performance, yes go get, and I fully recommend, to get a eGo, eGo-T, eGo-C, etc.

Also, as for me, I smoked 4-5 cigs a day on average, 7-9 at the most and my signature verifies that. I did smoke lights so that further verifies I was no heavy smoker. If me being a previously light smoker gives a reason for you to exclude me from any input on the performance of PVs from any future posts. Than I will stop giving my input on that subject.

Otherwise, the fact remains that for me, personally (once again), that I can get about 2 days of use on a cartomizer vaping it 24/7 without any burning or dry effect and a bit over 2 days with a Smokeless Image pre-filled carto (thought I don't understand why as I pack my cartos very well with liquid.)

EDIT:

While we're on the subject of cartos lasting more than a day....

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...78326-looking-first-purchase.html#post5568940

Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

MidnightTrance

Verified Member
Oct 16, 2010
California
So, to the comments stating a mini will last no more than a couple hours, and three hours being unrealistic, and also to the comment about there being no way a carto would last two days; is everyone who vapes a 2PAD+ smoker?

I was a half PAD smoker since I was 14 (21 now, been vaping for a year and a half) and a carto could easily last me 2 days, or at least a day and a half. 35 drops in a carto for a mL or less a day vaper, 20 drops per mL. Sounds realistic to me. As for battery life, everyone says an ego, which is what I started off with, only lasts a day. Mine would last 3 solid days before needing a charge at 650 mah. To say something is "completely unrealistic" when the op is simply stating the performance HE get's out of it is incredibly unfair.

ANYWAY, I commend Shiryo for his post on the volt, and I in no way got the impression that he was advocating newbies to buy a cig look a like. He did recommend the ego for longer battery life after all. I deal with a local vendor when it comes to cartos, juices, etc. and she's told me about many of her customers who after more than a year of vaping still use their 510 batteries, despite being exposed to the ego which she also carries.

There's a lot of good, solid info in Shiryo's OP, and I imagine such a long in depth post about his personal input will be a godsend to many vapers to come. Before I started vaping, I did plenty of research, a lot of it revolving around ECF, and I was always happy to see detailed posts on particular ecigs. It's what set my heart on the PV I started off with, and if this thread can set another wandering newbie's heart on what THEY feel is right for THEM, then the thread was well worth it.

Now, granted, an individual person's opinion may change over time, but that's normal. I used an ego for a year and some months, then finally splurged on a lava tube, and I haven't touched my egos for a whole month since I got the lava tube. Does that mean getting the ego was a complete waste of money? Not at all. The ego made me VERY happy, and now it's the lava tubes turn to make me happy, and perhaps I'll pull out the ol' ego for the sake of nostalgia every now and then.

In the end, I agree with the OP 100%. If you want a cig look-a-like, albeit it won't have the battery life of an ego, it might make you as happy as the ego made me, and happiness is what matters in life! :party:

JIMP-er46

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2012
LCMM
Yes, this thread (or rather, e OP's review & e thread title) is misleading in a manner of ways:

1) you can cut a few corners and save hours of reading by just reading this review
2) there's no comparisons / products out there tt is as good or easier to use than e volt
3) e volt is e kinda device u would want to keep, for many years to come

But it is fair that u've mentioned "my input..." which was juxtaposed with "$100 solution" but u could'vr added a disclaimer somewhere.

I am glad I did not get a slim 510 or kr808 or smtg tt resembles an analog and tt took countless days of reading. Started in early Jan on a Lavatube and by end Feb, I felt that e LT didn't give me true voltg readings or ones tt i've dialled in. As i'm typing this a mech and another vv tube mod are making its way down to this little corner of e world.

What I'm trying to say is tt, let e newbies decide after reading - tt is called education and what is learning without a teacher/facilitator? And tt's where ECF comes in again and pv masters and vets should be dishing out e advice. Newbies should learn through reading and not get lazy and just do a grab-n-go, and try an easy-fix or "solution" when it comes to selecting a pv, unless they didn't discover ECF first and saw pv's in stores when they wanted one.

imsoenthused

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2011
Tulsa, OK
I never said that the thread should not have opinion based replies, i'm saying for under $100 and a mini-cig, this automatically put an eGo out of the equation, that this is the best of the lineup of mini cigs. This wasn't a thread, you typically see plastering the New Members topic, asking if I should get a Volt. However simply my personal input on how it works for me, as a previously light-smoker.

If someone wants better performance, yes go get, and I fully recommend, to get a eGo, eGo-T, eGo-C, etc.

Also, as for me, I smoked 4-5 cigs a day on average, 7-9 at the most and my signature verifies that. I did smoke lights so that further verifies I was no heavy smoker. If me being a previously light smoker gives a reason for you to exclude me from any input on the performance of PVs from any future posts. Than I will stop giving my input on that subject.

Ok, I see alot of this confusion stems from a confusion about terms. You said you were never a heavy smoker. This has an actual definition. A heavy smoker is someone who smokes between 41 and 70 cigarettes per day, an average smoker is anyone who smokes 20 to 40 cigarettes a day, and a light smoker is anyone who smokes under 20. At 4-5 cigarettes per day you are at the very bottom end of the light smoker bracket, as defined by the cigarette industry. That wasn't pointed out in your initial review or in the title you gave it. My apologies, the volt is an absolutely, positively, undeniably phenominal solution for someone who smoked 4-5 cigarettes a day. In a case like yours, an ego would be total overkill. I'm sorry if any of my responses upset you. You said not heavy, I assumed average, and that's my fault for assuming. I have no personal knowledge of the requirements for such a light smoker when it comes to choosing a PV.

Last edited:

Jammin

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2010
Washington DC
Okay, so should I go and buy a 510 mini cig, 901, 501, etc. and expect better performance versus the Volt?

Otherwise, the fact remains that for me, personally (once again), that I can get about 2 days of use on a cartomizer vaping it 24/7 without any burning or dry effect and a bit over 2 days with a Smokeless Image pre-filled carto (thought I don't understand why as I pack my cartos very well with liquid.)

EDIT:

While we're on the subject of cartos lasting more than a day....

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...78326-looking-first-purchase.html#post5568940

Your mileage may vary.

Your glowing first post did not mention to those who want a mini, or to those who are VERY light smokers such as yourself (I doubt anyone who replied that you took issue with would have even bothered to reply if you had). You didn't reveal all of this until you read some of the other posts later on...which is why I thought your first post was very misleading. It was a well written "review" but was not posed as a review for light smokers who only want a mini in that first post. That makes all the difference in the world. You touted this for someone who If you're looking to spend no more than $100, you want to quit smoking or your girlfriend hates the taste of your ashtray mouth, please look no further and I will explain why.

Last edited:

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
The fact that you were a "barely" smoker eluded me as well and makes all the difference. For someone who smokes that little, the volt just may be the best unit going. OTOH, I wouldn't hesitate recommending a less expensive 510 model to a 1/4 PAD smoker.

Frankly, as a 3PAD smokin' machine, I can barely understand the difficulty of being able to quit a 4-5 cigarette habit using pretty much any, or no, method at all. But that's just me. It's been 40 years since I smoked so little and maybe I just don't remeber how hooked I already was at that point. In fact, my first recommendation for such a light smoker would be Snus. In just a few weeks, I was able to cut down from 3 to just under 2 PAD using nothing else, until I found vaping. I very well might have been able to quit entirely, using just Snus. But recent laws made it economically difficult given the level of nic I needed.

Had you disclosed how little you smoked at the beginning of your review, it would have been much more accurate and useful and I would have far fewer, if any, criticisms of it.

Last edited:

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
Okay, so should I go and buy a 510 mini cig, 901, 501, etc. and expect better performance versus the Volt? ...

Peformance-wise, a 510 or 808 would be just as effective for a 4-5 analog/day smoker. I believe a 808 or 510 kit and all the appurtenances would be quite a bit less expensive too, as they are more "generic" and widely distributed. But the volt has other features that may appeal to you more, so this isn't so much a case of raw performance as it is of what you feel like spending. For a very light smoker on a tight budget, I'd say the 510 or 808 was a better value. (I have no experience with a 901, but I supect they'd be fine too.) If you have the money and like the style of the volt, it's a perfectly reasonable choice.

The list of effective pv choices a 4-5 cig/day smoker has is far bigger than a heavier smoker. You could pert near just sniff the juice!! :) As for you personally, I hope that, with the LavaTube, you plan to vape very, very light nicotine content juice. Otherwise, you're going to end up with a nic habit 100X worse than you ever had when you smoked and I'm not so sure that's a good thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread