Not open for further replies.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
That's a long thread! I have been reading it just recently though.

I was just hoping there might be some simple beginner's list of general categories to help me get it straight in my head.

But, after all, it's mostly trial and error. No matter what list I find.

Vicman

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2014
Chicago
It is a long thread but it has so much valuable information in there. I started reading it when I started to DIY and wanted to see if I could find a synthetic tobacco. See before DIY, I was, and still am to some degree, a NET vaper. I loved the natural tobacco taste that comes from NET's but really hate the hassle that comes with them. The constant changing of wicks and dry burning of coils is not a deal killer for me, but it makes it difficult to vape NET's when on the road for long periods of a day for work. For these reasons, I wanted to see if I could find something which would satisfy my love of tobacco while being more user friendly (fill tank and go).

I have to say, I went into that thread with a bias as I really thought I was wasting my time. I mean, really, how could a synthetic tobacco ever come close to my beloved NET's. However, even with my bias, I kept reading. I read about a few tobaccos which others said had a hay like taste. others with a nutty note, and others which reminded some of cigars. I also read about tobacco absolutes (TA) which would add a "ashy" or "Earthy" note to a blend. That's when I made an order and got a few of the ones mentioned in the thread plus a few others which sounded good and started experimenting.

By doing that, I learned which person on the thread had similar tastes to mine and which did not. I also found which brands were more my style and which did not work for me. It really was a trial and error thing but in the end, I found my vape nirvana as I now vape mostly synthetic tobaccos and really like them. I have my cigar, cigarette, pipe, and just off the wall blends which satisfy me. Yeah, I still vape NET's but very little compared to my home brews. The ease of fill and go plus the satisfaction of knowing I am vaping something I created won out. But I never would have got there without doing my due diligence first, which unfortunately was reading that thread and doing some experimenting. I really dreaded reading that long thread at first as I had a bias and really hate reading (LOL) but in the end, I am grateful for sticking with it as it really helped.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
See before DIY, I was, and still am to some degree, a NET vaper. I loved the natural tobacco taste that comes from NET's but really hate the hassle that comes with them.

I can relate, I was a 100% NET guy as well and hated the same NET hassles as well. I started very early on with NETS but quickly experimented with synthetics and this is why I started "the tobacco only thread". I had good but limited luck and through experimentation and sharing my results I now have a good and steady library of synthetic recipes and flavors. I still prefer making my own NET's but am no longer a slave to them. There's a lot of good reading and even more opportunity to learn over there it just takes a little effort to sift through it all. If it weren't for the NET forum I would have also started a Net only thread:)

Last edited:

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
I had already read some bits and pieces of the thread. But, I really wasn't that interested in tobaccos before. I'm still not sure what I like and don't. When I first started, I didn't like much of any pre-made.

I stumbled onto Caramel Macchiato early on and loved that for a while. Eventually it became sickeningly sweet to me. Next I discovered Tiramisu. That's been my ADV ever since. But, I've been getting tired of it for a long time now.

The only other flavors that I've really liked so far have been tobacco flavors. But, I've also hated some tobacco flavors. I'm trying an assortment of flavors right now to find some new favorites. But, I think tobaccos hold the most promise.

It's going to be hard because I just don't like most things. And, sometimes it takes several hours of vaping something before the flavor gets to me and I start hating it.

So far, I've liked coffee flavors (Caramel Macchiato and Tiramisu) best. But, I hesitate to get into them too much because they're such big coil gunkers. Next to that, I've liked tobaccos (the ones I didn't hate). Fruits tend to irritate. A lot of the others taste good for a brief time then start to make me feel nauseated.

I used to like the old TFA Tobacco Blend. Especially mixed with just a tiny bit of other flavoring. But, they don't make it anymore. Now you have to get TA and turn that into a flavoring yourself. That intimidates me.

I just know that most of the pleasure of vaping is gone for me. I loved the flavor at first. Then my taste came back and I became much more picky. I used to love to vape. Now, it's just a necessity to avoid cigarettes. I would like it to become a pleasure again.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
The only tip I can give you on tobacco is to try the Hangsen line of tobaccos. They have about the most authentic tobacco taste of any of the other tobacco synthetics. They are made with real tobacco essences which add to there authenticity. As far as getting sick and tired of vapes after a while well we all experience that so my advice in that department is get used to carrying around several different vaping devices with different flavors and switch often throughout the day.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
This may be a bit off topic @DancingHeretik, but I too have hit a "flavor" wall in the past. What worked for me was to start vaping unflavored DIY. Its slightly sweet nuance is just enough to keep it interesting; and it satisfies my nic demands without burning out my taste buds.

Now, when I do vape flavored, I enjoy it much more. It has become more of a "treat" for me. And, when I grow tired of any particular recipe, I can easily return to my unflavored, without feeling any pressure to have to come up with something I "want."

It isn't ever going to be that "WOW!" flavor; but it has become a steady, dependable, and trusted friend. :)

Regarding you journey into the realm of tobacco concentrates; sharing specifics about what you do (and don't) like about any given concentrates you try, might help those who are well versed in the subject (not me!;)), to steer you to (or avoid) others that share similar profiles or flavor notes.

The Tobacco Only thread is indeed overwhelming, but there are a lot of good folks over there, with a wealth of information and experience. It took me quite a while to wade through the whole thing; and I doubt I retained 5% of it.:facepalm: But, I still return to it regularly (I too, have just recently started my own tobacco journey), by using the ECF search feature. I input the flavor name I am researching (usually without a manufacturer designation; as there seems to be multiple ways to reference them), and limit my search to that thread alone. It may still result in a few pages of reading, and some false positives (due to different mfgs.); but it makes finding what I am looking for much more manageable, and a lot faster.:D

And never hesitate to jump right in and ask! They have all been most kind and helpful to me, and all the other tobacco "greenhorns," that are just wading into the tobacco concentrate world.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
The only tip I can give you on tobacco is to try the Hangsen line of tobaccos. They have about the most authentic tobacco taste of any of the other tobacco synthetics.
I do have a few Hangsen flavorings: Hangsen T5 (555), RY1, and Tobacco Blend.
When I was researching the DIY section before I saw Hangsen recommended. But, I've never tried them.

I also picked up some Seedman's to try (and haven't): Commercial Tobacco and English Tobacco. But, I understand Seedman's is supposed to be used WITH other things, not alone.

All the tobaccos I have:
Hangsen: T5 (555), RY1, Tobacco Blend
Seedman: Commercial and English Tobacco
VZ 555
VZ-SC Old Captain
FW Latakia Tobacco
TPA: 555 Type DK Tobacco, DK Tobacco, RY4, Tobacco Blend, USA Premium
FA: 7 Leaves Ultimate, Black Fire Tobacco, Camtel, Perique Black Tobacco, RY4 Double, Shade.

Most of these I picked up a couple of years ago. I wanted to try some new tobaccos back then and just couldn't get started. But, I recently started mixing flavors for my sister. I need to get on this while I'm on a roll!
What worked for me was to start vaping unflavored DIY.
That's what I've been doing. It really is a nice, inoffensive flavor (but boring).

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
OK. I've got a bunch of little 6 ml bottles all labeled. Any suggestions on percentages? I've usually mixed tobaccos at 3% in the past.

I assume I should use more like 1-1 1/2% for the VZ-SC, maybe?

I didn't make any labels for the Seedman's yet. I'm not sure what to do with them.

MaxUT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
Ogden, UT, US
Any suggestions on percentages?

I'd try about 2% with the VZ-SC. Most FA tobaccos would be 2-4%. TFA and FW would be 6-8%. Seedman concentrates would be highest, maybe 15% (it's been a long time since I used Commercial). Do not use FA Black Fire for a single-flavor mix-- it's an additive only, to give a smoky taste; can use 0.25-0.5% when combined with a tobacco flavor.

I'd say, start making testers at low percentages, let them steep, then give them a try. If they don't taste 'right', put them back in the drawer and try them a couple weeks later. Patience helps when making tobacco juices.

If you want something that's quick, pick up some Flavorah Cured Tobacco and mix it at 3.5-4.5%. It'll be good to go in 5 days. Drawback is, after a couple of weeks the flavor will begin to fade.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
I'd try about 2% with the VZ-SC. Most FA tobaccos would be 2-4%. TFA and FW would be 6-8%. Seedman concentrates would be highest, maybe 15% (it's been a long time since I used Commercial). Do not use FA Black Fire for a single-flavor mix-- it's an additive only, to give a smoky taste; can use 0.25-0.5% when combined with a tobacco flavor.
Oops! I just mixed up 15 little 6ml bottles of tobacco flavors. I guess I'll have to put the Black Fire aside for adding to other things.

I aimed for about 3%. But, I'm not used to using such small amounts. It's much easier to mix up a big batch of an ADV (120ml at a time) using graduated cylinders instead of tiny portions of a 1ml syringe.

Then I put it on my calendar for Saturday, Feb. 3rd to start taste testing.

NicotineRush

Linux Mint/Mate
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2008
Living 'Off Grid'
I'm not used to using such small amounts. It's much easier to mix up a big batch of an ADV (120ml at a time) using graduated cylinders instead of tiny portions of a 1ml syringe.

Buy a scale. Mixing by weight is soooo much easier!

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I started out using hangsen tobacs at 7% then in time finding them a bit strong so started to cut the percentage down and now I vape 4% hangsen tobacs but blend them with 2-4% other tobaccos and TA's. Desert Ship and Highway are a great base for other flavors that kinda suck as standalones. Its weird but the HS tobacs make some other non tobac flavors pop. Anywhere from 2-4% HS Desert Ship as a base to a 6-8% fruit flavor for example will surprise yourself to how better the fruit is rather than being a standalone.

BoilerGuy

Unresolved Status
Sep 13, 2016
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread