Today I ordered a beer and prepared to vape

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayseycat

Nov 21, 2013
red creek ny
and then was told by barwner that vaping in NYS in public places is banned. I did a google and as far as I can tell, it's a new law in NYC but not the state of New york. Can someone clarify this for me. I want to tell the owner he's wrong but I want some real backup for my argument. (I do know it's at the digression of the owner). He's saying I can't vape on his premises because it's a law!! Paul

Nate760

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
San Marcos, CA, USA
I read an article somewhere (I can't remember where; I apologize) that said when new laws are passed in New York City, it's common practice for other cities in New York state to simply start observing them as well (like they become de facto state laws or something, which is completely bizarre and wrong), and that this is happening throughout the state as a result of the NYC vaping ban.

OBDave

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Not up to date on NY state law, but barkeep's rules = barkeep's rules.

Noted: I hail from the People's Republic of California, we're accustomed to overregulation out here. But we also consider ourselves trapped in a polar vortex should the temperature drop below 60 degrees, so we've learned to deal with one to compensate for the other.

Lisa Belle

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2010
Sylvania, OH
www.lisabelle-artist.com
Noted: I hail from the People's Republic of California
Sense of humor most appreciated.
It's now turning into a popularity contest and an evil PR campaign with enough funds to run rough shod over our miracle. If in the 75 days of commenting all vapers could find at least 20 people to write to FDA, whether smoking, vaping or not either it would help greatly. Otherwise what the bartender is doing is what to expect from most publicans.

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
It's good to hear you worked it out!
Here is a pamphlet by MJM that is used for helping to fight smoke bans. Believe it or not, many businesses went belly up due to the bans... As you'll learn as you read it. On page 24, is a printout to hand to the bar owners... You can find MJM on FB & around the web if you'd like one made up for vaping. Every bar owner is different, and having a vaping flyer would cover all business owners rights.

joeec

Jun 12, 2014
Long Island
Here on Long Island i found many local bars and clubs, some of good sizes, have no issues. When my band plays I vape while setting up and breaking down and between sets, just discreetly and dont send plumes of vape through the air just to be polite and have never been asked not to. Looking out to the audience while playing I sometimes I see a few people pluming away and have never noticed anyone stopping them. We are about 35 miles east of NYC. I know the Long Island Rail Road has banned them wherever smoking is banned (even outdoor platforms, basically whatever is considered their property) but they are part of the MTA that also runs NYC subways and busses so for them i guess its easiest just to do it system wide. seems it keeps it easier for them to patrol actually smokers. Just sayin'

Tarja

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2014
Paicines, CA
Being also in the People's Republic of California, and an expat NYer, it's just daft considering where we have been, and where we are at these days.

joecc, I'm also from Long Island (Deer Park). I used to take the LIRR into the city every day to work. They had the bar car, where you could smoke (and drink) to your heart's content.

It was an awesome concept, ensuring their passengers got nice and liquored up by the time they got back to the station and had to drive home.

I digress though:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread