Status
Not open for further replies.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I think you'd lose that bet. They'll tax sugary, sweetened foods (all those empty calories) separate from fats (gotta fight heart disease), salt (think of the chilin's blood pressure), meat (ecological unsustainable), dairy (cow farts are ruining the planet).

Divide and control, have the lobbyists throwing money at the politicians to "tax the other guy" while the public suffers...:facepalm:
I put "fattening" in quotes because I wasn't sure how else to put it.
But yeah, I think your post is more accurate than mine.
:)

Luisa

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
harlingen,texas
But, Luisa, vaping (even if only in private) is legal in all 50 states, and us vapers presently have access to the internet for our goods. Those two states, which have legalized that substance which we dare not name here, don't have that problem: the market for that substance is captive to those two states. So, it's possible for them to tax that substance. At any rate, so far Colorado has received only a few tens of millions of dollars of taxes from that substance. Chicago's unfunded pension liabilities alone are in excess of ten billion dollars — with a "b." And never mind the city's other unpaid liabilities. It's thought by analysts that the only way for Chicago to dig its way out of its financial hole, in addition to drastically cutting back or charging much more for city services, is to double property taxes. Politically (and economically) this isn't possible. Collecting their precious cigarette tax helps to kick the can down the road a bit further. I just came across this fascinating and terrifying article, which explains graphically what Chicago is up against: Chicago's vanishing middle class.
Is that not similar to Detroit? I believe the city government and school system became so bad,the people who paid the city and school taxes moved outside of Detroit and now there are very few left to pay for the schools and the city government. The flight was caused by incompetent elected officials with a little graft thrown in. Correct me if I am wrong.

6pointprime

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2010
NYC

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Is that not similar to Detroit? I believe the city government and school system became so bad,the people who paid the city and school taxes moved outside of Detroit and now there are very few left to pay for the schools and the city government. The flight was caused by incompetent elected officials with a little graft thrown in. Correct me if I am wrong.

Your basic outline is right, Louisa. And Chicago is maybe a decade or so behind Detroit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread