Too many uneducated

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Yep it's frustrating, but you can hardly fault the average person for parroting what they hear on the TV News. Be prepared to defend yourself next time with some anti-propaganda, a.k.a. facts. The same thing happened to me not long ago, and I responded that he was mistaken because e-cigs have been shown to be at least 95% safer than cigarettes. I then pointed out that there are a lot of vicious rumors going around these days because e-cigs are so disruptive to the tobacco companies, and he agreed. I've got some choice studies linked at the top of my profile info page which come in handy.

ETA: And I think when a person approaches you like that, he's often playing dumb in order to hear your side of the story. He knows there's something wrong with his information. So try not to think of his as an enemy trying to persecute you. Be friendly and show him that you're a real person with a solid cause, and you may find he's an ally in disguise.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
That happens to me at least once a month. More often than not though, strangers ask does that really work for you? I give a brief synopsis on how vaping helped me to quit smoking, why its safer than smoking, and sometimes even add how/why Big Tobacco and Big Pharma puts out negative propaganda about vaping. A few strangers are closed minded and continue to believe the propaganda they've seen, but most people are interested and receptive.

Ironically, most teens and preteens I come across are more informed about vaping than most adults. :facepalm:

Last edited:

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
We were on the sidewalk vaping outside of the shop where I work. A woman pulled up to the curb, rolled down her window, told us that she was a nurse and that stuff will lock up your lungs... :facepalm:

I told her that she must have gleaned that from the leading medical authority called FaceBook. I really wanted to tell her to wind her neck in and her widow up and do one.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
That happens to me at least once a month. More often though, strangers ask does that really work? I give a brief synopsis on how vaping helped me to quit smoking, why its safer than smoking, and sometimes even add how/why Big Tobacco and Big Pharma puts out negative propaganda about vaping. A few strangers are closed minded and continue to believe the propaganda they seen, but most people are interested and receptive.
Mentioned to a guy in the smoking area one time that he should consider vaping to get off the smokes. He said that you don't know whats in that juice they use, so he wasn't going to take any chances. :facepalm:

Told him it was nothing more than flavored antifreeze on tampon material, then I took a big haul on the vape. :lol:

Sometimes its just not worth the time or breath to educate them.

Georgia Boy

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2019
Atlanta Georgia
Yep it's frustrating, but you can hardly fault the average person for parroting what they hear on the TV News. Be prepared to defend yourself next time with some anti-propaganda, a.k.a. facts. The same thing happened to me not long ago, and I responded that he was mistaken because e-cigs have been shown to be at least 95% safer than cigarettes. I then pointed out that there are a lot of vicious rumors going around these days because e-cigs are so disruptive to the tobacco companies, and he agreed. I've got some choice studies linked at the top of my profile info page which come in handy.
I know someone will say it's around since 5,000 BC but the act of recreational smoking came into being in the 16th Century. So we have until the 26th or 27th Century to get plenty of proof, fair is fair right? :shock:

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
I know someone will say it's around since 5,000 BC but the act of recreational smoking came into being in the 16th Century. So we have until the 26th or 27th Century to get plenty of proof, fair is fair right? :shock:
lol I suppose.
Recreational smoking became popular in a time when houses were already full of smoke from wood burning stoves and fireplaces, so how could a little bit more hurt? They also used arsenic in their carpets and wallpaper for the lovely shade of green it produced. And chamber pots. The tobacco stink didn't become apparent until natural gas, electricity, and sanitation were widespread.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
lol I suppose.
Recreational smoking became popular in a time when houses were already full of smoke from wood burning stoves and fireplaces, so how could a little bit more hurt? They also used arsenic in their carpets and wallpaper for the lovely shade of green it produced. And chamber pots. The tobacco stink didn't become apparent until natural gas, electricity, and sanitation were widespread.
Not to mention, Mercury in their hats, and lead on their faces... For that ultra healthy ghostly look.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Speaking of Mercury, I do love the glow of Mercury rectifiers in audio amps.
P3.jpg

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2015
Kent - United Kingdom
It has happened to me too. Was at the pizza place, vaping in the smokers area, and somebody (smoking a cig) approached me and said: "you know, that is very bad for you, it's much worse than a cigarette"...
What surprised me, how sympathetic he was, how he really meant to be of help by countering my inconsiderate action.
It let me feel as I were living outside the "Matrix" - If I can express myself like this, I can't say it differently.
How strong and effective media are, I can't believe... Being franked from thinking, must be very relieving...

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I agree that some people will approach trying to be helpful, thinking that they know the awful truth about vaping and want to enlighten me.

And those people, I try to inform. I make my own juice, I know what’s in it. Your phone is far more likely to explode. Studies show its 95% less harmful, but I know there may be risks and I’m willing to take them.

If I think they might be interested in trying it, I tell them how money much I could (theoretically) save vaping.

The ones who come at me like Karen, who wants to talk to the manager, I tell them if I’d wanted to hear from a .... hole, I’d have farted.

I do try to make it a teachable moment.

My most recent event was, a guy who was smoking and saw me walking by and said something to the effect of not wanting me to lecture him or try to get him to try vaping. I replied, I had no intention of doing that. Not my job. I hate it when strangers tell me how to live, and I don’t do it to anyone else, either.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
Why should they be "educated" about vaping? Why would they want to be?

A while ago I was sitting around with a group of non and never smokers at the dog park and one of my dogs did what dogs do so I went and picked it up. While I was walking out there to clean up I took a few drags of my vape.
When I got back I got the some tsk tsk's and that stuff will kill you etc.
I thought it was a great opportunity to have some meaningful dialog about vaping. No, it wasnt. They didnt want to know. They didnt want to know about smoking, they dont want to know about vaping.
I would be the same. If it wasnt something that affected me directly I wouldnt want to know about it.

On this forum, in this thread even, there are posters who make remarks about topics that are non vaping related and display the same exact closed mindedness and wilful ignorance they find so annoying in "uneducated non vapers". I kinda like the irony of that, its fun.
Im happy to admit there are topics and trends I just dont want to know about, they have no relevance in my day to day living and never will.

I dont feel its my job and dont have an interest in trying to "educate" or preach the word about vaping to non smokers or other disinterested parties. My energies are directed at stock piling rta's, mods and nicotine and to crush my enemies, see them driven before me, and to hear the lamentations of their women!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread