Too much nicotine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wonka777

May 5, 2011
Oak Lawn, IL, USA
So when i got my first e-cig it was a 21st century brand and one the cartomizer it said 1.6% nicotine which i assume is 16 mg, aka a regular cig from what i heard. I ordered some menthol from myfreedom smokes and got the 18mg content pg/vg mix, great taste and decent vapor but it seems to make my had feel light headed. Now that could be because i'm vaping too much or too often, i guess my question would be, What is a good nic level to erder if i used to smoke about half a pack a day before this e-cig? also i definitely enjoy puffing on my e-cig probably too often because it is fun and enjoyable, should i just down the level or is that the feeling i get from maybe the pg or vg?

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
Definitely sounds like too much nic. Put it aside for those times that you really, REALLY want a cigarette and get something lower for the times you're chain vaping. Each of us is different in how we absorb nicotine, so it's hard to tell you what level you need to be at, but if 16 was fine for you before, try some 14, or even 12, for the chain vaping sessions. As a rule of thumb, we only absorb approximately 10 to 40% of the mg in the juice according to studies.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
I believe that since I've started vaping, I have at times greatly increased the amount of nicotine I've absorbed. I think this is for a couple of reasons:

1. After switching to vaping, my lungs are clearer, and I absorb nicotine more easily since it isn't being blocked by the tarry goo from cigarettes.

2. In a cigarette, with a filter, much of the nicotine is destroyed or filtered out before it gets to your lungs. Therefore comparisons between "nicotine content in cigarettes" and "nicotine content in e-liquid" aren't really apples to apples.

3. One of the reasons I love vaping is that I can feel the nicotine without the dragging effects of the other stuff in cigarette smoke; with cigarettes that only happens the first few times you smoke after a Long absence.

I would guess that the feeling you're getting is from the nicotine. The healthiest choice is to cut down on the nicotine level, particularly over time. If you feel uncomfortably lightheaded, dilute what you're vaping, vape less, or buy lower-concentration fluids.

RonZ

May 5, 2011
Los Angeles
Definitely too much nicotine. Here's what happened to me, I used to smoke a pack of Marlboro Light (gold) which has 0.5mg nicotine per cigarette, 0.5 x 20 cigarettes = 10mg of nicotine a pack. I also could handle Marlboro red, 0.8mg per cig x 20 cigs =16mg. I miscalculated, I thought 18mg is good for me, boy I was wrong. I dripped 1ml of 18mg into the cartomizer, had one or two vape, I got so buzzed. So now I limited my juice to 10-16mg MAX.

sam.8

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Same here. Was smoking a pack a day, but ultra light smokes. Ended up thinking converting would be harder to went with 18mg and 24mg. I stop before the weird buzzed feeling as I can tell it's strong. Will likely be great for morning or the super craving times. I've ordered a variety of strengths since. i think I was more concerned due to reading that the absorption is slower and less than normal cigarettes. Maybe I'm just a light weight :)

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Nic is absorbed differently in the ecig juice than in cigarettes....with cigarettes you get a direct hit in the lungs....with ejuices you absorb more of the nic in the mouth,nose and throat areas, and the rate of absorbtion is slower....that is why overdoing it is easy....and because the nic is in the juice, we only absorb around 10-40 pct of it anyway....
:)

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
I smoked 1/2 -3/4 of a pack of marlboro ultra lights for years, started vaping 16mg and bumped it to 24mg to kill the cravings for analogs. I've been at 24mg for 3 months now, I'm trying to cut down to 16mg but not very successfully

Take it slower pixiedust. Find someone who carries, or can custom mix, 22 mg and start with that, then down to 20, etc. You might also give it a little more time. 3 months is a little soon for most ex-smokers IMHO. Get completely used to not having the analogs around before you try to change things up.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Some studies have shown we may be absorbing as little as 10% of the nicotine from vaping.
And some here find flaws in those studies and think they may be getting as much as 40% of the nicotine from vaping.

So, for example...

Let's say you're using 18mg strength liquid, which is 18mg of nicotine per milliliter.
If using 3ml per day of 18mg strength liquid, you would theoretically be getting 54mg per day assuming 100% absorption.

But taking absorption rates into account you will only be getting anywhere from 5.4mg to 21.6mg of nicotine per day.

And that would equal anywhere from about 5 to 43 cigarettes.
Because the amount of nicotine absorbed from real cigarettes is anywhere from 0.5mg to 1.1mg, and some are even more.

So really it all depends on which cigarettes we are talking about, and how much we really absorb from vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread