Tool for thin wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, some gauges of wire are pretty hard to work with. What material is it, some wire can be extra springy and can benefit from a quick torching as it were. I think maybe trying that with your 28 gauge wire may help. Some of it is just practice.

I use the one half of the coil jig from coilmaster and wrap spaced coils. Somehow, "Even tension on the wire," translated well from learning to kit as a kid. Even tension on the wool sort of translated well (for me). Heck if I want a contact coil, I will wind a spaced one and then squish it after I'm done. Etc.

Best of luck, keep at it and seriously anneal your 28 gauge wire first. You may find it makes a significant difference. You can use a BLOWTORCH (my question here is why would anyone ever USE anything else, LOL) or a gas stove and etc.

Good luck.

Anna

Pgltz

Jun 4, 2018
Copenhagen, DK
Well, some gauges of wire are pretty hard to work with. What material is it, some wire can be extra springy and can benefit from a quick torching as it were. I think maybe trying that with your 28 gauge wire may help. Some of it is just practice.

I use the one half of the coil jig from coilmaster and wrap spaced coils. Somehow, "Even tension on the wire," translated well from learning to kit as a kid. Even tension on the wool sort of translated well (for me). Heck if I want a contact coil, I will wind a spaced one and then squish it after I'm done. Etc.

Best of luck, keep at it and seriously anneal your 28 gauge wire first. You may find it makes a significant difference. You can use a BLOWTORCH (my question here is why would anyone ever USE anything else, LOL) or a gas stove and etc.

Good luck.

Anna[/QUOTE

Reactions: stols001

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Thanks for the advice! I'll try that.
I also guess it could be funny for my torcher to be involved in other things than creme brulée :)

Not funny..Functional.
Use that €30+ tool more often.
I vape everyday.
The Catalan Cream only gets made a few times a year. (wife and kids love the nasty stuff)

Cheers
I

Reactions: Pgltz

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
Yep, torch the wire first. As @Zaryk mentioned, you can get a nice tight coil doing it by hand.

Torch the wire. Then instead of holding the end of the wire you're winding around the jig, use your thumb and index finger to hold it tightly around the jig and spin it that way. This way the pressure in wrapping around the jig is doing the same thing as the tool does, you can get better control doing it with your thumb and index finger actually.

You can even tape the end of the wire you put through the hole to that end of the tool. Then hold the wire in your other hand with thumb/forefinger, and spin the end of the tool you inserted/taped the wire to.

I use the tool that came with the Coil Master for most wire, but as you mention, it isn't as useful with thinner wires.

Pgltz

Jun 4, 2018
Copenhagen, DK
Not funny..Functional.
Use that €30+ tool more often.
I vape everyday.
The Catalan Cream only gets made a few times a year. (wife and kids love the nasty stuff)

Cheers
I
Ok, I promise to use my torcher more often :)
But, in my family we use it quite often during the winter. And I love that nasty stuff too :)
I googled catalan cream, I must admit that Crema Catalana sounds nice too!!!!
Oh, and we (I) should not forget Panna Cotta with rosemary! But now we are getting wild off topic, aren't we?
:):) Peter :):)

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I don't know what that jig is, but like others I tend to only use half of my coiler. It's just easier for me to feed the wire in with my fingers.

But with TC that adjusts the wattage you should be able to make either 26ga or 28ga do what you want. If it takes too long to get up to temperature with heavier wire turn the wattage up. If it's getting too hot turn the temperature down.
For the most part different gauges is for getting to the recommended ohms for the build you want (or to fit the coil in if using NI).
SS TC likes .5Ω.

You can use a BLOWTORCH (my question here is why would anyone ever USE anything else, LOL)

Taking our advice and giving up waxing?:lol:

Pgltz

Jun 4, 2018
Copenhagen, DK
I don't know what that jig is, but like others I tend to only use half of my coiler. It's just easier for me to feed the wire in with my fingers.

But with TC that adjusts the wattage you should be able to make either 26ga or 28ga do what you want. If it takes too long to get up to temperature with heavier wire turn the wattage up. If it's getting too hot turn the temperature down.
For the most part different gauges is for getting to the recommended ohms for the build you want (or to fit the coil in if using NI).
SS TC likes .5Ω.

It seems that my tanks (prime clones) don't handle tc very well if the ohms are too low...?
I can't see a reason for that, but that's what I experience.
Right now I am just able to make it work, and I was just wondering if there was a method or a tool that would make it easier, and hopefully torching the wire is the way.
I have got some ss430, 28 G, and will try that tomorrow in combination with the torching.
:) Peter

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
P,
I bought a Marquis RDA many years ago and it came with a matched set of mandrels that handle most of my winding tasks. A 4€ graduated rod does the rest.

simples.jpg

Cheers
I

Pgltz

Jun 4, 2018
Copenhagen, DK
What kind of resistance are you trying for? TC works best with SS316L at .5 ohm and below. It also works better if the coil is spaced.

A lot of TC mods will only do TC in 1 ohm and below. I don't think you are likely to be very happy with the TC at high ohms
I had an Ares, it was easier to build on that - no problems with "high" ohms and tc (around 1.2 ohm)
The mod I use is dicodes dani no 6.
:) Peter

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread