Tool for thin wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pgltz

Jun 4, 2018
Copenhagen, DK
I thought that when I insisted on 400°-420°F. I'm at 360-380 now (which the high end is your low end). I could get a lot of vapor at 140°C. I'm not saying my coils are right but I haven't really changed anything on my old tanks other than my tastes for lower temperatures from a new tank.

I think you're trying to sort of bypass the temperature control by playing with mass. And that's OK. But for what you what you want, turn the temperature down.
I don't know what the TCR is for 430. That will need to be set if the mod is set for 316L
If you've figured out how to get your winder to work I think you'd be OK with whatever you use.
I could try my 34ga for clapton wrap to test that theory, but I won't :lol: (if I had any 30ga SS I would, I can't imagine wicking the flimsy 34ga).

TC, low Ω and the power needed is confusing. It takes more power but then drops off when it gets to temperature. More mass of lower Ω means it holds the heat it has so it needs less power to stay there.
I don't know that I've noticed any considerable battery usage difference in any of my builds even thinking back to Ti.

I just use SS 26ga because when I was testing Ti between 26ga and 28ga I found no real difference other than Ω. If I would've stayed with Ti I planned on using up the 26ga and then using up the 28ga.

Pgltz

Jun 4, 2018
Copenhagen, DK
Tcr for ss430 should be 138. I actually changed it to140, and lowered the temp 5 degrees. I can only change the tcr on my mod in steps of five...
The change is small, but maybe even a little better.
What you say about the power makes sense!
Oh, and it seems that I have done something wrong again about the quote and reply function. Wonder how it will look when I press the post reply function?
:) Peter

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Tcr for ss430 should be 138. I actually changed it to140, and lowered the temp 5 degrees. I can only change the tcr on my mod in steps of five...
The change is small, but maybe even a little better.
What you say about the power makes sense!
Oh, and it seems that I have done something wrong again about the quote and reply function. Wonder how it will look when I press the post reply function?

I can't figure out the power needs with my dual SS TC at .31Ω gets better run time than my single .45Ω and .79Ω. Different mods but all dual batteries.
My other dual SS TC at .22Ω can really go through batteries (that one is probably the mod, it doesn't adjust wattage in TC).

Reactions: stols001

Pgltz

Jun 4, 2018
Copenhagen, DK
I can't figure out the power needs with my dual SS TC at .31Ω gets better run time than my single .45Ω and .79Ω. Different mods but all dual batteries.
My other dual SS TC at .22Ω can really go through batteries (that one is probably the mod, it doesn't adjust wattage in TC).
Same kind of batteries in the first three mods you mention?
The fourth doesn't seem to do tc at all, so I would also say that that's the problem/explanation...

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Same kind of batteries in the first three mods you mention?
The fourth doesn't seem to do tc at all, so I would also say that that's the problem/explanation...

Basically the same. Samsung green or blue.
The 4th does TC it's just locked in at 160w in TC mode. Something like that I could see increasing mass to slow it down if it was overshooting the temperature.

Zakillah

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2015
Vienna
But last concern: lower resistance needs more power to get to the same temp, what happens to that extra power?
Not really. More mass needs more energy. Resistance doesnt matter.

Example:
Simply doing more number of wraps with the same wire will increase resistance AND will need more power.

If you're building for a regulated Mod its better to build for coil geometry and how large your airflow is, not for a target resistance because it just doesnt matter.
TC will work more accuratly the higher the resistance is. Higher resistance will result in a higher resistance change when the wire is heated. Higher resistance change means better temperature meassurement.

Pgltz

Jun 4, 2018
Copenhagen, DK

Example:
Simply doing more number of wraps with the same wire will increase resistance AND will need more power.

If you're building for a regulated Mod its better to build for coil geometry and how large your airflow is, not for a target resistance because it just doesnt matter.
TC will work more accuratly the higher the resistance is. Higher resistance will result in a higher resistance change when the wire is heated. Higher resistance change means better temperature meassurement.
Bigger diameter results in more mass AND less resistance.
As vapers we want the power to have difficulties getting through the wire and thus be transformed to heat.
Less resistance makes it easier for the current to get the power through, so we have to ask for more power to make it difficult that way.
I totally agree about the importance of reducing the empty space in the chamber!

Pgltz

Jun 4, 2018
Copenhagen, DK
Basically the same. Samsung green or blue.
The 4th does TC it's just locked in at 160w in TC mode. Something like that I could see increasing mass to slow it down if it was overshooting the temperature.
Well, I can only think of the power getting wasted in the tank or in the mod. In the mod it it could be too thin wires, in the tank it could be bad connection from the pin to the pole.

Zakillah

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2015
Vienna
I am aware you can lower resistance by using thicker wire and get a build that needs more power. I was giving one example for higher resistance resulting in higher needed power to show that resistance and needed power dont necessarily correlate, which so many people believe.

A regulated mod just changes the voltage.
50 Watts are 50 Watts and it does not matter if its 7 Volts on 1 Ohm or 4 Volts on 0,3 Ohm.

Pgltz

Jun 4, 2018
Copenhagen, DK
I am aware you can lower resistance by using thicker wire and get a build that needs more power. I was giving one example for higher resistance resulting in higher needed power to show that resistance and needed power dont necessarily correlate, which so many people believe.

A regulated mod just changes the voltage.
50 Watts are 50 Watts and it does not matter if its 7 Volts on 1 Ohm or 4 Volts on 0,3 Ohm.
That will give a different amount of amps (power).
And how will you explain the trend of sub ohms with very low ohms needing a lot of watts?

Zakillah

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2015
Vienna
That will give a different amount of amps (power).
And how will you explain the trend of sub ohms with very low ohms needing a lot of watts?
Easy explaination; chunky and/or fancy wires.
You get low resistance because low gauge wire or parallel/triple parallel Clapton cores.
BUT, the high power is needed because its lots of metal to heat, NOT because of the resulting low resistance.

Another example in the different direction...you build a two wrap triple parallel with 30G SS wire, clocking in at 0,11. See what happens when you throw even "just" 30W at it. It'll burn.
How do you explain that? Much less metal mass, much smaller coil, thats how. It should be pretty obvious by now that resistance has no relevance.

Frankly, too many people try to make sense of Physics via vaping "logic" and not the other way around. Alot of people would have an easier time with coil building if they just got the non existing importance of resistance (on reg. mods) out of their heads.

Last edited:

Pgltz

Jun 4, 2018
Copenhagen, DK

Example:

Oh, sh..! - I have realised that I have made a fool of myself by mixing op the english electrical terms...feel free to LOL a lot!!!

In the following I might use capital letters, it's not because I want to shout at you, but merely to point at some of my mistakes.
I am referring to:

"As vapers we want the power to have difficulties getting through the wire and thus be transformed to heat.
Less resistance makes it easier for the current to get the power through, so we have to ask for more power to make it difficult that way."

That was the nonsense I wrote...

What I meant was something like (and I don't think that "vaping theory" conflicts with physics in this case):
As vapers we are interested in the CURRENT having problems with being pushed through the wire and because of that being transformed to heat.
So if we lower the resistance and thus make it easier for the VOLTAGE to push the CURRENT throug the wire, then we must ask the mod to push even more current through in order to make it difficult that way.
So big resistances don't need many watts to get hot (if the voltage is low), small do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread