Status
Not open for further replies.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
I have the topbox mini from Kangertech, it came with a Ni coil already installed , what is the difference between that and the mini RBA ? I already packed some cotton in the mini and was wondering if i should install it
For starters, Ni (nickel) and Ti (titanium) coils should only ever be used on a temperature-controlled device, set in temperature-control mode. With that out of the way, let's move on...

The difference, other than what material the actual coiled wire is made out of, is that the RBA head can be rebuilt. Normally, when a coil head is used up, you remove the entire head, throw it in the trash, and buy a new one to replace it. With an RBA head, you remove it from the tank, open up the RBA itself, and throw away just the wire and cotton from inside it. Then you wrap a new coil from a spool of wire, install it in the head, pack some cotton in, put it back together, and go on your merry way.

Benefits of the RBA include reduced cost (in the long run, although perhaps a higher startup cost if you don't already have the tools and materials necessary for rebuilding), and a greater amount of control over your vape experience. Limitations of the RBA include that initial startup cost and the learning curve associated with building proper coils that work, and work the way you want them to, as well as lacking the overall "grab-and-go" convenience of disposable factory coil heads.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I'd be tempted to vape the factory coil and check out some videos for the RBA. I'm not saying you won't get it right first go but there are some really inventive ways to get that cotton perfect. I drop the casing over with rabbit ears and make sure there's no holes in the cotton looking from outside the housing. The inside doesn't need to be pretty, just mushy!

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
What BWH said.... :) I usually use the prebuilt coils for when I don't have time, and the RBA for when I do. Like this week, I am working on a 12 day stretch with no time off... so, I won't have time to build any coils.... so prebuilt for this week.

like what BWH said, in the long run, you will save a lot of money if you learn how to build the coils yourself. Cotton is about $5 for a year supply if you do the organic cotton ball method, or $10 for a year for the Japanese cotton. Wire is about $10 a year for just average building.. (some people like to rebuild every day.. like a hobby thing). So, $20 for a years worth of coils if you rebuild.. or $20 for a month's supply of prebuilt coils.

Reactions: Huey604
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread