Toxicity Assessment of Refill Liquids for Electronic Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
The ""Translational science is a multidisciplinary form of science that bridges the recalcitrant gaps that sometimes exist between fundamental science and applied science," is simply a rewording, as impressive as it sounds, of the ancient 'is/ought' question in philosophy.

Is–ought problem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Going from what 'is' to what 'ought to be'. According to some, that "recalcitrant gap" can't be bridged, rationally. People who don't appreciate the extent of this problem, philosophically, will attempt workarounds, so that what they think 'should' happen makes sense simply by what is. lol.

Thhis is fascinating stuff, that I can't afford to investigate much. This is/ought thing is new info to me, but I easily recognize that it's at the root of a lot of the things that can have me pulling my hair out. For practicality, I need to do plenty of is/ought thinking just to get through life, and avoid a lot more of it to avoid being destructive. It might be necessary for our society to cautiously engage in some is/ought, with keen awareness of its dangers. (All that opinion from skimming a wikipedia page and decades of semi-awareness of the world around me.)

Reactions: Kent C

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Thhis is fascinating stuff, that I can't afford to investigate much. This is/ought thing is new info to me, but I easily recognize that it's at the root of a lot of the things that can have me pulling my hair out. For practicality, I need to do plenty of is/ought thinking just to get through life, and avoid a lot more of it to avoid being destructive. It might be necessary for our society to cautiously engage in some is/ought, with keen awareness of its dangers. (All that opinion from skimming a wikipedia page and decades of semi-awareness of the world around me.)

lol... one does this near automatically and there is a way around that 'gap', but it has to be stated in certain terms. There's no direct path from 'is' to 'ought'. period, full stop. .... But if you put it in terms of goals - an "if/then" type statement, then it can be bridged. Say... Smoking is bad for you. (will just assume that's a fact - an 'is' as proven by science). So.... IF I want to quit smoking, THEN, I ought to try vaping. But this is on a personal value level - it is not something you can 'prescribe' for others. You can suggest it, of course, but to enforce it through regulation, is a violation of rights. (of course, if there's a violation of rights to begin with, then that's different... and gets into deeper stuff but for the most part, that's pretty much agreed upon in normal use.)

Reactions: nicnik

TaketheRedPill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2009
Southern California
I believe DEG is a common contaminant in glycerin.
It's been many years since we discussed DEG around here, and I don't remember the details.
:(

I believe that 1% is the amount of DEG allowed by the FDA.
It used to be a bit higher, but they recently lowered it.

Yeah, I had to look it up and read up on it. So it's already highly tested for in the constituent ingredients, but traces can make it through. I don't recall ever seeing it present in the vapor, so maybe by that point it's so little as to be undetectable.

Again, this is good info to have, but I think these are just the first steps down a long road of inhalation studies.

DEG is a nasty contaminant that's mostly a byproduct of PEG-400 production or handling (poor housekeeping in manufacturing and re-using DEG drums for PEG being the most commonly cited example) although it may be found in PG and sometimes in VG if the VG facility also produces PEG. It affects the liver in a very bad way: Glycerin or Diethylene Glycol? - NOW Foods

PEG-400 was once discussed on ECF as an alternate to PG because people were having allergies/raspy throat from PG. Totally Wicked and a few other manufacturers used PEG400 in their "PG -free liquids' and PEG400 was widely used in pre-filled cartomizers produced in Europe. PEG was summarily dismissed as too risky an alternative due to probability of contamination with DEG and for potential health reasons. It's a nasty-huge, molecule that affects the liver but the main problem is it is the most likely candidate to be contaminated with DEG and heavy metals, and two carcinogens: ethylene oxide (JohnsonCreek's H60360 and H60363), and 1,4-dioxane -(1,3-dioxane: Tasty Vapor's H60378 and H60377). Use of PEG as a nutrient in plants causes hypoxia. (enough to warn me off!)

PEG Compounds and their contaminants | Toxics | Health | Science & policy | Toxics | Issues
On the use of PEG to induce plant water deficit in hydroponics’ culture

It could be guessed that the levels of DEG shown for brands such as e-cig.com nic base (China), Intellicig (UK), Janty (France) and JohnsonCreek (US ?) might be related to use of PEG-400 in formulas. (I'm really stretching memory here but I believe Intellicig, TW and Janty discontinued use of PEG-400 but I have no clue about JC or e-cig.com) (and there's also something nudging my memory relating to Europe approving PEG but not PG which is why the European co's were using PEG to begin with)

What I found interesting in the study was the attention drawn to 'natural flavorings'. That is, "Of note, formaldehyde also occurs naturally in many food products and in beverages, thus the source might be some natural extracts used as flavorings." (although I have to say, I imagine I've personally inhaled more straight formaldehyde in lab classes back in the day, preparing lab trays for other students and dissecting pigs and frogs for weeks, than I'd ever get from inhaling an ecig!). If "natural" flavorings are an issue, that's seems simple enough to deal with - eliminate them.

The presence of limonene doesn't bother me much tho. There's a caution in that there does appear to be a toxicity value, ("H60376 from Tasty Vapor (153 mg) was above the MSDI USA limit(13 mg/pers/day), by more than 10 times.")
On the other hand, limonene appears to have some anti-cancer properties, so it me, it's a keeper - in moderation:
http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-1105-limonene.aspx?activeingredientid=1105&activeingredientname=limonene

Last edited:

caramel

Vaping Master
Dec 23, 2014
That's a legal issue not a moral one :- ) Certain gov't personnel took an oath to uphold the Constitution. Legally they are bound to uphold it.

Yes, but now that we know that nobody does what they ought to do, even when legally bounded, what's the value of that "translational" thing again? :laugh:

Reactions: Kent C

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Can you give an example of this translational science at work?

...... and Botox.
wink.gif

Both drugs (developed and FDA approved in a long and costly process) started off addressing a specific indication, but were eventually repurposed for other needs as new scientific findings surfaced. ......, initially studied for heart disease, is now marketed for erectile dysfunction; Botox, once a treatment for crossed-eyes and uncontrollable eye blinking, is widely known for its cosmetic uses as well as alleviating migraines. As we speak, researchers at Yale are testing an old cancer drug which shows great promise for treating Alzheimer's patients. Costs are minimal, the drug is already FDA-approved, everybody wins.

Drug repurposing is only one of the many areas of focus in translational science, but this is really, really off topic and since my unfortunate introduction of the subject already met with considerable derision, I do not wish to discuss it any further in this thread. :)

Reactions: Lessifer

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Kent - my province has banned residential pesticides based on a campaign on "the children's right to roll in the grass". Apparently they now can trespass into my backyard and roll there in the grass and I have to accomodate them.

Hence there is no "my" backyard anymore. :facepalm: Perhaps we'll bring back the diseases from pests to new record levels where some children won't have the opportunity to roll in the grass. It's basically what happened in most of Africa with the banning of DDT.

caramel

Vaping Master
Dec 23, 2014
Hence there is no "my" backyard anymore. :facepalm:

I was expecting a reduction in my property tax to reflect this....

Perhaps we'll bring back the diseases from pests to new record levels where some children won't have the opportunity to roll in the grass. It's basically what happened in most of Africa with the banning of DDT.

It's happening. This spring I found ticks in the backyard where I previously had none. Others are reporting the same:

Golden Rescue :: Ticks and Lyme Disease

Coming back to vaping. "The children" argument is always brought up to cover a hidden agenda. It's not even worth arguing, as the opponent has no intention to listen to you. They will just keep repeating it while pretending that "popular support" exist (maybe via some skewed polls, but generally they just state it) and move on with their agenda.

As you mentioned before, the only way to oppose such is in court.

(as for the pesticide thing, I can still douse my grass with about anything, I just have to hire a licensed gardening company; the law did nothing but transform a DIY activity into a licensed monopoly; and this year I'll probably have to pay up).

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
I'm sorry, Jman, but nothing annoys me more than this argument that "we are doing it to ourselves." Sorry, this kind of thinking is dangerously close to the "blame the victim" mindset so prevalent in our society as of late. Wear a long skirt and stay at home if you don't want to be raped, don't provoke, don't irritate and offend anybody, shut up and play dead lest you anger somebody, God forbid. We have a right to discuss anything, study anything, disclose anything, and draw anything without being accused of "doing it to ourselves." Sorry.

Apology accepted.

I, for one, am glad that studies are being done and warnings issued.

Are you glad when ANTZ does studies and issues warnings? Cause, if wanting to have the discussion I was precisely going for, you would sure as heck seem to be.

I look forward to them. I want to know what I'm doing to my body so that I can make informed decisions. I'm happy that this forum exists and that I can have a conversation with people like Dr. Farsalinos, for example. Let chips fall where they may. This is still a free country.

And point from my earlier post is you (general you) will plausibly consider having a handle on minor concerns with this so called knowledge, with insistence in thinking major concerns exist. So, letting the chips fall where they may is another way of saying, "we do this to ourselves." Glad to discuss this further as may be desired.

And, BTW, saying that "eLiquid products contains potentially toxic compounds," "seems to be of minor concern," or "requires further investigation" is science.

No, it's not. It is personal opinion. It could plausibly be an opinion that is held by consensus, but is still opinion.

Show me a substance that doesn't contain potentially toxic compounds.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
I'm sick and tired of the "we did it to ourselves" argument. We didn't do anything.

We are doing it right now in this thread. We do this to ourselves.

The FDA tried to stop/ban/regulate e-cigs from day one--before we even had a chance to do or say anything on the subject. The courts stopped them in 2009, luckily for us, but they never gave up. FDA, CDC, and the ANTZ will never give up, no matter what we do or say. The facts, the statistics and the science are on our side. Do they care? No. Vaping will be restricted, taxed and regulated not because of what we do or say but because too many hogs have no access to the trough--plain and simple. It's all about the lost revenue and nothing else. They want a slice of the vaping pie and they will get it--or they'll keep trying to ban it altogether to protect their interests. The only question is, how big a slice they will get.

I agree with this historical context of 2009. But, when FDA went in direction that Judge Leon suggested, we scapegoated the FDA. How dare they treat it as tobacco! I can probably still find posts by Mr. Godshall that say, circa 2010, that it would be very good news for the FDA to regulate eCigs as tobacco because that would mean they cannot ban it. In 2009, there was much celebration with the victory from the 2009 legal battle. This is easy to find in the archives of ECF. There is, in my readings, no dissent from the repercussions of that victory and what it could mean down the line; it was deemed incredibly great news that eCigs are, at worst, a tobacco product.

But none of that is really 'science' cause in reality, nicotine is a drug, and FDA going for control in that way, does make sense, especially if some vendors are advertising product as, "this will make you stop smoking, and increase your health." If anything, our side learned, very acutely, to stop making scientific (medical) type claims with regards to what you are selling. And good riddance as far as I'm concerned. Word of mouth can easily handle that, and needs no one from industry spouting off claims that invite scientific scrutiny.

But your point of "do they care? No. Vaping will be restricted, taxed and regulated" is something I agree with. Where we disagree is with what you said after it, "not because of what we do or say." Though what you say right after that is something I think supports my position as I see the 'many hogs at the trough' as arguably (or rather undeniably) made up of people on our side. And so my post that began this tangent does note that we will scapegoat our self-imposed restrictions toward "safer product" as "they did this to us" when it is politically convenient for us to make that point, and when we are in discussions such as this, then one like me who holds dissension is one that seemingly rather be ignorant and encouraging of dangerous products to be available to the masses.

In general, I agree there is a them, and they are ANTZ of the full blown variety, that are observable by name. But, I am 'sick and tired' of this plausible denial we have constructed that allows us to advocate for industry wide restrictions as a "must" thing, and then conveniently turn around and suggest "they did this to us." They, ANTZ, have made it clear that they wish to get rid of all flavors from eLiquid, and yet we (some of us vapers) are on board with that, by either self-imposing that as a personal decision or making arguments on forums that say "industry must do this or it is a very good thing if a portion of the industry goes out of business for not doing this." So, if someone reading this responds with, "I would never say that," well great, then this might not apply to you. But there are forums, or even this thread, where I can find people saying, "it must happen for the industry."

I haven't changed my approach on all this from the original Dr. F. thread, or the various threads that have sprouted from this. And when I say "we are doing this to ourselves," I observe and (fully) understand myself to be part of the we. So, for me, Dr. F. isn't a they, but is an us. And from what I can tell in my umpteen dozen conversations on the politics of vaping, there are many vapers that are onboard with restrictions, with (reasonable) regulations and even with taxation. Thus, this denial that we (vapers) want none of that is perhaps true in a minority of vapers, but there are so many threads where it is quite visible, and I would argue undeniable, that what they want is in some instances, not grossly different than what we will argue with each other over, and generally not resolve, but instead have people amongst us who are instigating arguments (other threads) to make those points from another angle.

This notion of seeking to ban product that has diketones in it, is a precise example of what I am alluding to. Or seeking to have mandatory disclosure around it. Thus far, those holding that position have done nothing to persuade me to their ANTZ-leaning position, and so we are at an impasse. But I've gone a few steps further on that debate to suggest that those seeking it aren't practicing actual science when they seek disclosure, but are, or will be, resorting to faith/trust to get at what they say they want. Do the testing for yourself if it is about science and is truly a personal decision. Otherwise, you done just made it a political matter and your pleas for industry wide restrictions don't fly so well with me. In fact, I'm going to keep on claiming, we are doing this to ourselves for as long as I observe that type of rhetoric being around and not scrutinized for precisely what it is.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
.... <snip> I always look for tips and recommendations from scientists and fellow vapers like those two. I started vaping unflavored (or highly diluted ejuices) because of Kurt's comments wrt to flavorings. It works for me--may not work for other people, though.

Exhibit B

This is not science, nor should anyone construe it as such.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
I think information regarding possible risk should be communicated thoroughly, and labeling to inform is necessary so that consumers can balance possible risk vs personal need/desire. On the other hand, if it should be revealed that vaping diketones is dangerous enough, I could see going as far as banning, even without great substitutes.

How dare Jman suggest we are doing this to ourselves. How dare he!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread