TPA/TFA Recipes only!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunnomatic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2013
Conway,SC
What are your thoughts on recipes with drops as the amount? I don't know if they are talking 20,30,40 drops per ml as their measurement of drops. I just skip them and go with the ones that give a percentage instead. % is easier and more accurate for me and will work no matter how little or how much they make or I might possibly want to make.

paddymx

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2012
Asheboro,NC
What are your thoughts on recipes with drops as the amount? I don't know if they are talking 20,30,40 drops per ml as their measurement of drops. I just skip them and go with the ones that give a percentage instead. % is easier and more accurate for me and will work no matter how little or how much they make or I might possibly want to make.

IMO %'s are the way to go. Drops are not accurate. If you want to use drops you should do something like this using a 2 ml sample: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/406393-super-easy-diy-method-tape-2-a.html#post9314611

And another way to test flavors using drops: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/406393-super-easy-diy-method-tape-2-a.html#post9315412

Last edited:

mecocina

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2011
Florida
When you weigh out a gram could you please see if it is a Tsp. or some other measure that those of us who don't have scales could use. Or maybe X grams per Tsp. I have a shot glass that has Tsp. measurements that I got from Walmart.

Thanks.

8 crystals approx 1/2" in length each equals 1 gram. Now a teaspoon was 10.72 grams but it was a mix of small to large crystals. HTH

m00nshake

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2009
Greenville, NC
When you weigh out a gram could you please see if it is a Tsp. or some other measure that those of us who don't have scales could use. Or maybe X grams per Tsp. I have a shot glass that has Tsp. measurements that I got from Walmart.

Thanks.

I am using menthol crystals from WL. Tomorrow, I will crush some menthol crystals into a fine powder, weight it, and then tell you about how much it is (teaspoon, tablespoon, etc.) I can only approximate if it is not exact.

However, on the topic of jewelry scales. I purchased mine on Amazon for less than $10. They are really very inexpensive.

m00nshake

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2009
Greenville, NC

I avoid them all together. As paddymx stated, % are the way to go. I think it could be beneficial to use drops if you are mixing a very small amount for testing purposes. It's going to hard to get, for example, 0.187 of a ml exactly in a syringe, but most diy calculators will also convert into drops. However, even when mixing small batches, I think it's important to use percentages in the calculators so if you do strike diy gold, you will know what the percentages are for big batches. Also, for something that very little is added, like Ethyl Maltol or something else of the like, I think drops are okay.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Cabela's or any chain sporting goods store will have inexpensive gram scale designed for weighing/measuring gun powder. I'll bet Amazon has 'em, too.

Unless thing have changed since when I was loading my own ammo, gunpowder is measured in grains, not grams. A gram of Bullseye would blow apart any handgun I can think of!

Reactions: 52anddone

paddymx

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2012
Asheboro,NC
I am using menthol crystals from WL. Tomorrow, I will crush some menthol crystals into a fine powder, weight it, and then tell you about how much it is (teaspoon, tablespoon, etc.) I can only approximate if it is not exact.

However, on the topic of jewelry scales. I purchased mine on Amazon for less than $10. They are really very inexpensive.
Thanks. I will be looking into a scale as well.

Aurora-Oblivion

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Isle of the Wizards
Don't unless you are making a batch anyway.

Well I could just measure stuff out, I wouldn't mind really. I'm not making any, but I could easily crush some and put it back in the bag no problem. If I get time tonight I'll do it, if not then I'll try to tomorrow

FastTech has digital scales, or ebay, if you're looking for a cheap set.

tdtyler

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2013
Omaha, NE
Unless thing have changed since when I was loading my own ammo, gunpowder is measured in grains, not grams. A gram of Bullseye would blow apart any handgun I can think of!

You're right! My bad. The scales will measure in grams, though. Change the setting.

Thanks for pointing out my error!

Aurora-Oblivion

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Isle of the Wizards
Here ya go paddymx, not 100% accurate as it seems humidity here is affecting things a little bit (73F room temp, 77% humidity inside)

Best I could do though, hope this helps, it's at least a good general idea of what each should be!

I smashed several times between two spoons, and then crushed for a few minutes even further in the bowl.

And yes for anyone about to ask, I zero'd out the scale each time (That foil is thick type, piece weighed 0.5g)!

Patted in, scraped over, and leveled off with flat side of butter knife

Menthol

05xDcti.jpg

1/4 tsp (teaspoon) = 0.3g - So, a little over 3 powdered and leveled 1/4 tsp's should be right at a gram for anyone without a scale.

FTIVIQL.jpg

1 tsp (teaspoon) = 1.6g

YYqqd5x.jpg

I'm sure the image host probably goes crazy when they see menthol like that! :D

Last edited:

paddymx

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2012
Asheboro,NC
Here ya go paddymx, not 100% accurate as it seems humidity here is affecting things a little bit (73F room temp, 77% humidity inside)

Best I could do though, hope this helps, it's at least a good general idea of what each should be!

I smashed several times between two spoons, and then crushed for a few minutes even further in the bowl.
And yes for anyone about to ask, I zero'd out the scale each time (That foil is thick type, piece weighed 0.5g)!
Patted in, scraped over, and leveled off with flat side of butter knife
Menthol
1/4 tsp (teaspoon) = 0.3g - So, a little over 3 powdered and leveled 1/4 tsp's should be right at a gram for anyone without a scale.
1 tsp (teaspoon) = 1.6g
I'm sure the image host probably goes crazy when they see menthol like that! :D

Thanks a lot for the measurements. Could not have asked for more! Now we have something we can use as a "recommendation". m00nshake is going to do the same today. That will give us a good comparison/conformation, at least for those of us in the South(humidity) .

Aurora-Oblivion

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Isle of the Wizards
I agree, it'll be good to have another members findings as well!

I wasn't sure how to show a way for those without a scale to get a gram, so I think 1/4 x 3 would be the best way, but then of course many people wont have 1/4 tsp either so that's a tough one! Half tsp might be a OK option too, and that one may be in more people's drawers, a good average measurement on that should be 0.8g so a little more than that would be close enough too.

I'm in the south below you, where's m00nshake at? Ohh yes, it's terrible mugly here all the time! We have to keep the air set at 74/74 otherwise it'll run non-stop all day and night, often due to it just getting hot in the house because it's so humid.

paddymx

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2012
Asheboro,NC
I agree, it'll be good to have another members findings as well!

I wasn't sure how to show a way for those without a scale to get a gram, so I think 1/4 x 3 would be the best way, but then of course many people wont have 1/4 tsp either so that's a tough one! Half tsp might be a OK option too, and that one may be in more people's drawers, a good average measurement on that should be 0.8g so a little more than that would be close enough too.

I'm in the south below you, where's m00nshake at? Greenville, NC Ohh yes, it's terrible mugly here all the time! We have to keep the air set at 74/74 otherwise it'll run non-stop all day and night, often due to it just getting hot in the house because it's so humid.

By the time we're done we will have done what the vendors should have done on their sites! At least we will have some consistency for recipes. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread