Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Florida Keys
20131116_214114.jpg 20131116_214939.jpg I've used quads once. I couldn't get the proper airflow. That's the key for sub ohm vaping. Make sure those coils are getting plenty of air. Line up the air holes so the draw feels loose. The Trident is a bit tight compared to the Helios. I use two strands of 3 mm silica. Smaller silica wicks dry up faster to me. The more wick the better. That's why I love my Helios. I can add a ton of juice, and take longer hits. I like .3 -.4 ohm with 4 wraps of .9 ribbon. There's really not much difference going any lower than that. All that does is light up them lips with a hot drip tip :D

Last edited:

evgeny131

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2013
Los Angeles
That looks good. Next time try to extend the coils out further closer to the air holes. Four wraps each will also heat up much faster. Make sure the coils don't touch the screws.

its a bit under 0.3ohms......i dont have a multimeter...checking on my evic or vamo it sometimes says 0.2....gets pretty warm but RIPS....
in the picture it is clearer than by sight...i think its fine...but u r right about the coils being closer to the air intake...are there any native quad coil drippers?
i would know if something is shorting i think....doesn't look like it...i made sure everything is lifted off the base and the center post coil ends are tucked up into the wick to prevent shorting.....wow....my heart is beating faster from ripping on this with the new AW 1600 and MNKE
even at 0.25 ohm these batteries RIP

Last edited:

Vwls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
AZ
its a bit under 0.3ohms......i dont have a multimeter...checking on my evic or vamo it sometimes says 0.2....gets pretty warm but RIPS....
in the picture it is clearer than by sight...i think its fine...but u r right about the coils being closer to the air intake...are there any native quad coil drippers?
i would know if something is shorting i think....doesn't look like it...i made sure everything is lifted off the base and the center post coil ends are tucked up into the wick to prevent shorting.....wow....my heart is beating faster from ripping on this with the new AW 1600 and MNKE
even at 0.25 ohm these batteries RIP

Hey... I don't mean to pry or be intrusive... but I really feel strongly that you should not be messing with sub ohm builds without a multi meter or ohm meter. Please PLEASE buy one before you continue... it's not worth the great vape to be holding a small bomb in your hand that you have no way of controlling or analyzing.

jcalis1394

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2013
Miami, FL
Hey... I don't mean to pry or be intrusive... but I really feel strongly that you should not be messing with sub ohm builds without a multi meter or ohm meter. Please PLEASE buy one before you continue... it's not worth the great vape to be holding a small bomb in your hand that you have no way of controlling or analyzing.
Evgeny is using VV/VW devices to check for ohms and shorts. If I remember correctly both the Evic and Vamo will tell you if there's a short when you are measuring the ohms. That too is one way to check for it along with multimeters and ohm meters. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong as I have not touched any VV/VW device in months.

evgeny131

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2013
Los Angeles

u r right on....this is an advanced thread where we would NEVER think of mounting a quad coil without some sort of knowledge of ohms...

evgeny131

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2013
Los Angeles
Could not resist the temptation....
New Nemesis Mixed Matte, Omega Dripper are on the way!!!
Help me!!!
LOL..
seriously though, can't wait for this week's vapemail!!!
The Mixed Nemmies were just released!

Anyone have anything to say about the OMEGA?
at the moment....my wallet is hating me....my vape habit is satisfied...

evgeny131

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2013
Los Angeles
Hey Everyone:
Please chime in with your build experience...
How are you building dripper quad coils for maximum wire temp and quickest heating time? I'm finding that quad coils take too long to heat up, and have a noticeable voltage drop using .5 ribbon 3 wraps per coil (.3ohm total), or 28 awg 4 wraps per coil (.25ohm)....
every time i end up going back to duals using .7 or .8 ribbon or 29awg....its lightning fast....
anyone have suggestions for building efficient quad coils? batteries on hand are good- MNKE 18650, AW 18650 1600mah (over 20amps)

nosaj03

Verified Member
Nov 1, 2013
WPB, FL
Hey Everyone:
How are you building dripper quad coils for maximum wire temp and quickest heating time? I'm finding that quad coils take too long to heat up, and have a noticeable voltage drop using .5 ribbon 3 wraps per coil (.3ohm total), or 28 awg 4 wraps per coil (.25ohm)....
every time i end up going back to duals using .7 or .8 ribbon or 29awg....its lightning fast....
anyone have suggestions for building efficient quad coils? batteries on hand are good- MNKE 18650, AW 18650 1600mah (over 20amps)

Is there a specific reason you prefer to use ribbon? I've never built quad coils but to me it's just like building duals twice. Maybe try using a smaller diameter for the wrap?

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Florida Keys
Hey Everyone:
This is why I did not like quads. Perhaps too much metal to heat up.

evgeny131

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2013
Los Angeles
Is there a specific reason you prefer to use ribbon? I've never built quad coils but to me it's just like building duals twice. Maybe try using a smaller diameter for the wrap?
ribbon give me a smoother and richer vapor production, but it seems to take longer to heat up the coils.....also even 6mg liquids seem kinda harsh to me using 28awg....in the omega i am forced to use awg.....
i am not into microcoils on drippers because i have a lot of 3mm eko i need to use....kinda hard to thread it through...lol....that's why im interested in other people's trident and omega set ups

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Florida Keys
I prefer ribbon over round because of the surface heating area. I only use silica wicking. Micro coils and silica didn't give me a good vape. Micros lose their resistance faster to me. Wrapping ribbon is much easier than building micros to me. It's all about personal preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread